Dodging Concrete

Sounding great. Mix is balanced and no real nits for me. The guitars and arrangement on this song reminds me of Spoon....which is a good thing.

About fucking time we had a Monkey Allen tune! Really good mix through earbuds, although boosting earbud frequency in the bass a touch wouldn't be amiss, especially during the instrumental portion and the segment at 1.25 - 1.35 - sounds like just a touch too much dynamic distance between bass and that upfront guitar. I'll listen later through monitors for a more complete picture, but good work.

Thanks everyone. So, it's basically ok...vocals could be doubled (I think they are doubled for real) and add excitement...so maybe a bit more high end on the vocals. Drop the kick and bring up the bass a bit. I can do those things pretty much no worries I think. Thanks for all the advice. (By the way, Human Planet, I know you listened to this song a bit ago...since then I made some changes to the mix and put a new version up)

Last edited:
Yeah, just great, mix sounds great, I would maybe like to hear the vocals just a little louder, they are really good! I like that bit of guitar solo near the end!

Sounds amazing. Great tune. Love the tremolo fade at the end. I got nothing that hasn't been said, so I'll leave it at that.

I think the vocal can come up. Double track it and add some excitement to raise it higher. It's soo good it deserves that.
Or at least turn it up a bit. I listened through monitors tonight. Never caught the 2 dB opportunity through earbuds.

It's all I can do to listen through studio monitors, headphones and a cube - and now earbud listens are mandatory as well. Where does it all end?

Do you listen to your mixes through earbuds?

Anyway, MA - really good track. And why did it take so long for me to give it a listen on the speakers? No, no - that's not the right question. The right question is why I came back at all and offered another feedback. See, that's gold, right there.

Haven't read the other comments yet.
It is a great odd song.
Now it could just be my tinny laptop speakers, but it sounded a bit thin.
No complaints about the general mix of instruments. It was very well done.
Wish I'd thought of it.

Haven't read the other comments yet.
It is a great odd song.
Now it could just be my tinny laptop speakers, but it sounded a bit thin.
No complaints about the general mix of instruments. It was very well done.
Wish I'd thought of it.
Whenever somebody says I wish I'd done it, that's praise.
"It sounded a bit thin" - I'm curious about something here - if you wanted to add some heft to this mix, what would you add it to? The vocal? Everything? He's got a really clear mix here - at the risk of asking an indelicate question, might it be a taste too clear? Is there such a thing?

Hey, please let me know how this mix sounds if you listen.

Thanks for listening

Sounds amazing on my laptop speakers! Great composition and unique voice. Love the instrumentation as well. BTW, followed you on Soundcloud !

Has kind of a 60s vibe to me, Summer in the City kind of thing. Great track, great vocal and arrangement, compelling groove. Really good outcome here. Nice job

Back