The Path Forward

whirlwindRA

Here's a song I produced. Looking for feedback on mixing/mastering. See attached.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I know it's not perfect but I always want to learn more and get better.

Attachments

• the path forward.mp3
    10.1 MB
For me, the biggest issue isn't the mix (although the wing acoustic guitars lack definition), it's the arrangement. The vocal, drums and bass work really well together (really like the drumming), but those acoustic guitar parts left and right distract from what the rest of the arrangement is doing.

For me, the biggest issue isn't the mix (although the wing acoustic guitars lack definition), it's the arrangement. The vocal, drums and bass work really well together (really like the drumming), but those acoustic guitar parts left and right distract from what the rest of the arrangement is doing.
I certainly agree that the acoustic guitars are unnecessarily loud and present.

I get what is being tried with the acoustics, it might be a matter of panning them too far L/R and not also applying a bit of stereo panning to them as well, so they're not purely only sitting in the opposing channels (look up/google stereo panning for ideas). The vocal is a bit dry, and could use some stereo panning/chorus as well. Give it a bit more life than mono/sitting stagnant in the middle. Once those things are addressed the mix is solid otherwise.

Here's an example acoustic only song I'm wrapping up, note how the guitars aren't only sitting L/R. I use a channel tool to shift each guitar slight into the other side, to 'bleed' just a bit into the other channel. A touch of reverb and minor EQ adjustment is all that was otherwise applied.

Back