What's your favourite1970's studio analogue Production?

Smithers XKR

I think that analogue tape media and the use of advanced Dolby System and Compression and expansion really hit the sweet spot and zenith in the mid 70's. It was before MIDI and any digital media. I dont want to start a discussion about modern vs retro as I like to use magnetic media from pre digital, and digital magnetic from the 90's and MIDI and also DAW, they all have their place I believe and different qualities, but I would like to ask all you guys here what is your favourite track or tracks from this era production wise?
Thought about The Carpenters or Gerry Rafferty.... but I will kick off with this nomination.
The production and recording technique is just fabulous in every way 🥰🥰👍
Cheers guys
Smithers 😉👍

Not recorded with dolby and still one of the best productions ever: Supertramp ,Crime of the Century
Yes it was a brilliant album and their breakthrough. I have an original on vinyl. I didnt realise it was non dolby but thinking about it now you are right. It has a very natural sound to it.
Thanks mate 👍😉👍

Santana III (1971)
Did you know that Carlos took a young talented guitar player kid under his wing in 1970? He mentored the lad and taught him. The kid's name was Neil Schon. I wonder what happened to him and if he ever managed to put a band together? 🤣🤣

Santana III (1971)
Also did you know that the Santana percussionist was the father of Sheila E who played drums with Prince? She was totally brilliant baddass drummer, fast and technical, its the Brazillian Latin rhythm groove, so good 😉👍

Lots of great stuff from that era.
I think Pink Floyd’s 73 release of Dark side of the moon is definitely a contender for one of the best.
That might have been the first use of sampling as we know it, albeit in a primitive sense. On Money they recorded an old cash machine opening and closing then sliced the section of tape and somehow looped it 😉👍

Reactions: RFR
And then..... We have Boston’s debut album released in 1976. What a sound!!
It blew me away the first time I heard it. Fidelity, writing, arrangement, production and performances were above and beyond great.

Because of its popularity, I think it’s overlooked for the masterpiece it really is simply because it was played to death, and we’re all sick of hearing it.

But I invite anyone to with fresh ears to listen to that record on a good set of monitors. You’ll be amazed.

How could I leave out the masterpiece recorded in 1972? A live recoding at that!

Deep purple Made in Japan (1972)

Still sounds incredible to this day. And to think it was recorded on two 4 track machines!
Synced together with SMPTE ?

Synced together with SMPTE ?
Don't know. Did SMPTE even exist then?

But that era was magical. No grid, no auto tune, no automation, no plug ins, etc.

It was pure 100 percent talent. From the musicians to the guy doing the razor blade edits. Everyone involved in the production of a record knew their craft.

And then..... We have Boston’s debut album released in 1976. What a sound!!
It blew me away the first time I heard it. Fidelity, writing, arrangement, production and performances were above and beyond great.

Because of its popularity, I think it’s overlooked for the masterpiece it really is simply because it was played to death, and we’re all sick of hearing it.

But I invite anyone to with fresh ears to listen to that record on a good set of monitors. You’ll be amazed.
That was incredible for the time. I have that album on cassette, a proper release. Tom actually was a studio guru and legend is that the original band demos in his home studio were every bit as good as the final recordings

That was incredible for the time. I have that album on cassette, a proper release. Tom actually was a studio guru and legend is that the original band demos in his home studio were every bit as good as the final recordings
There’s some video floating around of the making of that record. Quite impressive.

Don't know know. Did SMPTE even exist then?

But that era was magical. No grid, no auto tune, no automation, no plug ins, etc.

It was pure 100 percent talent. From the musicians to the guy doing the razor blade edits. Everyone involved in the production of a record knew their craft.
Yeah SMPTE came from the movies in the 30's so its a pretty old concept. Used to sync up the audio to the video. Les Paul used movie audio tape to create multitrack guitar long before the concept existed 😉👍But yea MIJ killer album, the first great live record 😉 I might be wrong but I think the idea came from the fact that there were so many pirate live Purple tapes being done?

I would put this one up there. 16 Track 15IPS recording from 1972. Incredibly great music.

Along with Crime of the Century, Supertramp put out this superb effort.

Last edited:
Back