Old Studio Equipment Still Usable?

Margaret

Hello, I was once set up to do voice over work, maybe 20 years ago. I ended up not continuing with it, and now I would like to set up to record music that I play. I have some old equipment that, honestly, I don't remember what the function of it is! I have an Alesis RA100 amplifier, and Echo MONA 24/96 digital studio, and two mics. The mics are both Audio Technica, 4051a and 4033a/SM. The mics have the three pronged plug. This is old stuff, but I am wondering if I can still use it, or if I should just ditch it and go all digital. Any of your thoughts will be appreciated. :-)

Yeah, that Mona sound card ran o n 95/98, possibly XP, really no use today.

You say Margaret that you want to record "music that I play" what do you play? You need an Audio Interface. This plugs into a USB port on whatever computer you now have and contains the digital converters, two or more microphone inputs and 'line' inputs that can accept a signal from a keyboard or a passive electric guitar. The "3 pin plugs" on the mics need XLR3 male to female cables.

So, give us a bit more of an idea of what you want to achieve and, very important, a budget to get setup.

Dave.

The mics are mere youngsters compared to most of the ones that I have. The amplifier might be usable if you have some passive speakers but most studio monitor speakers have amplifiers built-in nowadays. As Dave says, if you are going to be recording onto a computer then you'll need an audio interface but some people still prefer to use stand-alone recorders. The good news is that you can buy stand-alone recorders that also work as audio interfaces if you want the option of working both ways.

The only issue I see is that you probably won't be able to use the Mona on a current computer, even if you have a PCI slot. I looked to see what drivers were available, and it looked like Vista compatible was the last version.

As James said, an audio interface like a Scarlett 2i2 or Motu M2 will replace the Mona, or a recorder like a Zoom H4n or H6, or Tascam DR40 can give you ability to go portable.

Thank you all so much for your input. It means a lot to me. I thought the mics would be good still. My husband is a tech guy, so your observations are meaningful. Thanks again!

Thank you all so much for your input. It means a lot to me. I thought the mics would be good still. My husband is a tech guy, so your observations are meaningful. Thanks again!
Very glad you have come back Margaret, we see SO few ladies on these forums. Not surprising in the past as they were toxic places infested with egotistical ****oles but HR, Sound on Sound and thefretboard.com are very civilized so long as you are not Mary Whitehouse.

So, hubby is a "tech guy". What sort of 'tech'? See, at 76 I spent over 50yrs in domestic electronics and audio but when I came to computer audio I was a total NOOOB! Took me AGES to work out what a "DAW*" was! I then worked in a computer network factory staffed with a dozen computer graduates but none of them had a clue about MIDI.

*Digital Audio Workstation" The software that allows you to record and play and 'mess about' with audio on a PC. Examples are Cockos Reaper (one to get) Cubase, Studio One. Shedloads of them.

So, don't be a stranger.

Dave.

Very glad you have come back Margaret, we see SO few ladies on these forums. Not surprising in the past as they were toxic places infested with egotistical ****oles but HR, Sound on Sound and thefretboard.com are very civilized so long as you are not Mary Whitehouse.

So, hubby is a "tech guy". What sort of 'tech'? See, at 76 I spent over 50yrs in domestic electronics and audio but when I came to computer audio I was a total NOOOB! Took me AGES to work out what a "DAW*" was! I then worked in a computer network factory staffed with a dozen computer graduates but none of them had a clue about MIDI.

*Digital Audio Workstation" The software that allows you to record and play and 'mess about' with audio on a PC. Examples are Cockos Reaper (one to get) Cubase, Studio One. Shedloads of them.

So, don't be a stranger.

Dave.
Hi Dave, my husband (72) was an IT guy for a software company in Beaverton, Oregon. I am a musician. I started with banjo when I was 40, and graduated to guitar. I had piano lessons early on in life, so I had a foundation in music. I write worship songs for church. I've written a couple that are really great. I know that sounds boastful, since my muse is the Holy Spirit I can't go wrong, eh? So I'm not boasting about me.
Anyway, I thought to do voiceover as a career, but life got in the way (2 kids, both with autism) so I gave up there. But now I really desire to make an album of my songs. I will need to learn how to "mess about" with audio as you say. Or, find someone who is good at it and partner with them. One thing I have learned in life is that a lot can happen in a short period of time. Since I am just turning 68, I expect a lot to happen in a short period of time, as time in not on my side LOL! I really appreciate your willingness to reply and give information. :-)

The mics are worth keeping. The Mona needs a computer with an empty PCI slot to work.
Rick, thank you for your reply! I was surprised to see your name as I had met you before at PSGW. I doubt you would remember me, but here's a picture. I am in the foreground...

Attachments

• Photo Bomb.jpg
    Photo Bomb.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 6
Wish I was 68 Maggy! You still have not told me how much you intend to spend but I can give you a bit of a "ball park" if you like?
Heart of the system is the interface and you can find ones with two mic inputs for $100 up. Look at MOTU M2, Focusrite 2i2, Native instruments Ka2. There are many more and to be honest really no bad ones these days. I have a MOTU (M4) as does my son. He is very musically talented, I am not but I CAN solder!
I am sure at least one of the mics will work. Do you have a mic stand? If not a boom stand is only $25 or so. Some modest closed back headphones and you are ready to rock! You need some recording software but as I said Reaper is probably the best. Free for a time but only 60bucks or so for life. That software is the thing that will probably give you the most trouble getting sorted but it really is just a case of digging in and learning it, there are NO easy ones!

Your church activities could be very useful. Lots of people on this and other forums are associated in some way with a church (not I, life long sinner) and putting the word around that you need some technical help with music recording could reap great rewards.

Good luck,
Dave.

Back