A Little Less Wayback- Alan Parsons 1982

I really like the sound of the acoustics. The snare sounds a little flabby (is that an applicable descriptor?), like a loose floor tom. The lead works fine, but my personal taste would be to have some amp master/channel overdrive for the slightest bit of dirt - it's too clean for my ear.

A nice rendition 8-)

"Don't say words you're gonna regret."

Okay, I won't.

Stereo's good, backing vocals work, guitars are exquisite. I mean, why not just listen?

Mix that with 'my personal taste would be to have some amp... etc and play to the end of the song 'ba da dump' You'd come up with something or other. I'm sure of it.

Mix that with 'my personal taste would be to have some amp... etc and play to the end of the song 'ba da dump' You'd come up with something or other. I'm sure of it.
Thanks for listening, dobro. Not sure exactly what that means. Care to expand?

I really like the sound of the acoustics. The snare sounds a little flabby (is that an applicable descriptor?), like a loose floor tom. The lead works fine, but my personal taste would be to have some amp master/channel overdrive for the slightest bit of dirt - it's too clean for my ear.

A nice rendition 8-)
Thanks. Yeah, it's a matter of taste, but I see where the lead could use some extra crunch.

As for the drums, those are e-drums and the sound is what the drummer chose to use. We actually record them via midi, then split the midi file to individual tracks to allow full control over each item in the kit. We then play each individual midi track back through the Roland head and record the audio output. A bit time consuming, but it gives me what I need to mix properly and allows him to chose the sounds for each item (rather than using Roland's predesigned kits). I'll see what he thinks next time he's here and if he wants to change the snare. It's actually pretty easy given we save all the midi files.

Thanks for listening, dobro. Not sure exactly what that means. Care to expand?
Sure - I like it, and I like the mix - that's one opinion. Another opinion is spantini's - he wants a dirtier guitar. When you consider both of those opinions, which do you favor?

Sure - I like it, and I like the mix - that's one opinion. Another opinion is spantini's - he wants a dirtier guitar. When you consider both of those opinions, which do you favor?
Gotcha. Thanks. Taste plays an important role in music, obviously. So I do listen to what everyone says and weigh it over. Sometimes I agree with the comments, and sometimes I don’t. I can see Spantini’s comment about a dirtier guitar, but I’m not necessarily unhappy with it as is. I might play with some plugins a little and see if imo it improves the song. If not, nothing lost.

btw, I missed your quotation marks the first read through, so I completely missed the reference to Spantini’s post.

Very well done that...My only slight would be that the acoustic guitars are a little much in the high end and the solo too. A little smoothing out there. Love the song and overall an awesome recording.

Mark

I'm w/ Paul. Good version - mix is mostly there. Some of the tom hits were a bit all thumbs, but that's all I got. I enjoyed it and listened through the whole thing.

I would reconsider the snare choice, and bump the kick a couple. Also the lead guitar needs something like modulation, or some grit to take the edge off. Otherwise good version

I've got a lot of partially completed Alan Parsons tracks - I found this one from 2015, not mixed, and some rough bits and of course, no vocal. If anyone wants to provide a vocal track, feel free - then I'd spend more time on it, but so many Alan P tracks are great but need a vocal I cannot do or a guitar I can't play (well, I can sing and play, but not in the style or quality of the originals)

Attachments

• time-rough-mix-no-vox.mp3
    12.1 MB
Cool version, vocals sound nice! Agree with previous comments in regard to drums, to me, the drums were not so up front in the original song? (been awhile since Ive listened to it).

I was doing this video this morning - showing off my naff drum skills and even sneaked a little Alan Parsons into it! It's about half way through - the thing is about the Swissonic Master Keyboard.

Cool version, vocals sound nice! Agree with previous comments in regard to drums, to me, the drums were not so up front in the original song? (been awhile since Ive listened to it).
Thsnks for the feedback. Been awhile since I listened to the original too. The whole thing was much more laid back iirc. We weren’t necessarily trying to copy it. Kinda start with the lyrics, melody and chord structure and then see where it leads.

Back