Solo Mandolin

keith.rogers

After a month of practice (new to mandolin 4mos ago), and still with some "plinky" tone issues, but this was recorded with 2 small SDC mics just out of frame - just in the lower corners, roughly 16" from the mandolin. (The thing you can "just" see in the lower right is actually a camera tripod, not a mic, but it's right next to that bit.)

Mixed in Logic with some dynamic EQ and a little mix buss compression, and a touch of reverb because my tiny, square room is kind of dry.

Sounds good. (y)
Practicing some piece of Bach on the guitar myself right now (Prelude in D).
What is the tuning of your mandolin?
I guess your notes/tabs cannot be directly translated to guitar in standard tuning, or?

Last edited:
Sounds good. (y)
Practicing some piece of Bach on the guitar myself right now (Prelude in D).
What is the tuning of your mandolin?
I guess your notes/tabs cannot be directly translated to guitar in standard tuning, or?
Mandolin is tuned the same as a violin, in 5ths, so E-A-D-G (1st/highest to 4th/lowest). The cello is like a viola/mandola, plus an octave, so the bottom string is a C. This usually means the violin/mandolin arrangement is mostly the same, but up a 5th. So this is in G, while the original is in C. No idea what a guitar arrangement would be.

I’m starting to read through the Prelude for this same suite. It’s a bit harder and not broken up into “chunks” so going to be a lot more work to memorize. But, I’m really going to get back to the bluegrass stuff I want to learn for a while so that’ll be for my “off” days.

Good luck on your Prelude!

I didn't see this one....

Very cool. I thought it sound pretty good, but more importantly, I was impressed that you could do that after 4 months. I've tried playing mandolin, but had trouble getting adjusted to the tight fretting. I do better going to bass guitar.

I didn't see this one....

Very cool. I thought it sound pretty good, but more importantly, I was impressed that you could do that after 4 months. I've tried playing mandolin, but had trouble getting adjusted to the tight fretting. I do better going to bass guitar.
It's the tiny strings and tiny frets, very close together - challenging. It takes a lot more strength than you would think. Our son, who plays violin really well, decided he'd get one (saw a Chris Thile video, I think), and he was kind of shocked how little transferred, given the same tuning and approximately same scale length. Twice as many strings, and all steel core, where most violin players are working with nylon core on the wound (A-D) strings.

It was when I was setting his up that I decided I'd give it a go. (Talked an old friend out of the one he had, sitting unused for some years.) In fairness, I had taken a stab a fiddle about 25 years ago, before I'd re-started guitar, and played pretty regularly, but badly, for some years. It was when I realized our 10 year old son was playing stuff I couldn't ever begin to play that I kind of decided maybe focusing on guitar (again) was better for both of us :). Haven't touched the fiddle for over 12 years, I'd guess. Anyway, some of the fingerings for melody lines fall a bit easier for me, and I can read music, which is HUGE if you start looking at classical music like this. I suck at bluegrass, which is what I'm trying to learn, honestly. Chords and improvisation are a big lift (for me, anyway).

The nice thing is, I can go work on reading a piece like this when I'm tired of bloodying my head beating it on the desk trying to learn just one lead for a fiddle tune done by the teacher for the video lessons I'm taking. It's going to be two weeks to get up to speed with a Blackberry Blossom lead (by Mike Marshall), which is about what it took to just memorize this entire piece.

Its always good to learn new skills. When my dad passed, I inherited the 1947 Gibson BR3 lapsteel that he bought many years ago. He didn't play anything, I think he got that and the 53 National amp that I pulled from the attic about 10 years back. The amp has been recapped and retubed, and works great. The guitar, on the other hand, has strings that are probably 40 years old. Recently I ordered a set of John Pierce C6 lapsteel strings. I'm hoping to try learning to play it when I get time this winter.

Excellent! Bach had some great riffs. I used to be able to play Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring on piano. Sounds great on the mando. Kudos after 4 months. Was it originally written for violin?

Excellent! Bach had some great riffs. I used to be able to play Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring on piano. Sounds great on the mando. Kudos after 4 months. Was it originally written for violin?
Thanks. This was originally written for cello, but is commonly done (transposed) in violin and mandolin.

Back