Isolation room

You might consider, is an iso-box. A smaller sized box that holds just the amplifier. Dimensions being a few feet.

In the near, I am looking to build one of these.
I've got two Randall Iso-Cabs, and they're not as quiet as one would expect. I'm looking to sell mine.

Ah - this could be me. Us brits rarely have bedrooms downstairs. There are 'bungalows' - but mostly for elderly people who can't do stairs. This is totally my fault for assuming bedrooms are always upstairs - everywhere. He's not been back since I did it. Hopefully, he'll pop up and tell us its on the ground - which makes it so much easier, doesn't it.

So you guys have basement then straight to first floor, which is the one at ground level. I really confused an American friend the other day with solicitor - which here is the legal person who does home conveyancing when you sell and buy property. They also are the people who speak for you in the magistrates court, which deals with basic cases. If it's serious, then the magistrates court sends you to Crown Court where the judges and juries are. They all wear wigs, and solicitors instruct barristers - who wear black and wigs, while the judges wear purple, or red and have coloured sashes and have to be called my lord, but spoken as m'lud. Lower tier judges are recorders, and they get called simply sir. The barristers call each other "my learn-ed friend" it's amazingly traditional - sorry for going off topic, but I figured it's no wonder you guys think we are weird!

You are correct about the floors. Basement is below the first floor, underground.

Here, a solicitor is someone who is trying to sell you something, that you didn't ask them to. Usually someone going door to door. Or also, someone asking for money, as in for a charity possibly.

And our legal system is complicated, only because the laws are intentionally complicated. We have multiple levels of the court system, but there's only one level of representation - a lawyer, or attorney. They're just two different names for the same thing. Your system seems crazy to me.

Crazy maybe, but pretty similar to the system in the time of Henry 8th. Back then, the lawyers were using legal precedents, like we do today - but looking back to the 13th Century, which is pretty amazing. In Tudor times, lawyers were only allowed for civil cases - not criminal ones. They law was also rather cruel. "How do you plead? Guilty or not guilty?" we still do this today don't we, BUT back then, if you did not enter a plea. you would be pressed (Peine forte et dure). A stone was placed under your spine and gradually you would be pressed onto it with heavier and heavier weights till you said guilty or not guilty, but probably you never walked again. They had judge and jury, but they had lots of cases and the jury would not be fed until the cases were done. Their decisions came very fast. Our legal system has remained largely similar, without the nasty bits. The US took the bits they liked and dumped the history. Probably sensible? If you're interested in British courts - Youtube a TV series called Crown Court - you'll see the wigs and robes and the process. It's very different to the US system.

I plan to practice and jam in it.
My kit is a 10 pc drum shell w/ 9 cymbals.
What are your neighbours like ? Are they the kind of people that you could give notice to of any intended musical excursions ? I lived in 2 places where I never had to tel;l the neighbours that a drum kit was going to be played. Where I live now {and have done for 18 years}, I would let them know and they're OK with it. I make sure I'm always done by 7pm.
Youtube a TV series called Crown Court - you'll see the wigs and robes and the process
Great show. I discovered it in 1972 when I was off school for 3 weeks recovering from an operation.
Each case used to be spread over 3 days/3 episodes and we used to love Friday's episode as it was always the verdict. Experience has taught me that it was worryingly realistic !

I've got two Randall Iso-Cabs, and they're not as quiet as one would expect. I'm looking to sell mine.
I built an MDF box within an MDF box, put it in a kitchen cupboard and decoupled it with blocks of foam and that works great. The actual isocabs don't look like they'll attenuate if you turn up the volume.

What are your neighbours like ? Are they the kind of people that you could give notice to of any intended musical excursions ? I lived in 2 places where I never had to tel;l the neighbours that a drum kit was going to be played. Where I live now {and have done for 18 years}, I would let them know and they're OK with it. I make sure I'm always done by 7pm.

Great show. I discovered it in 1972 when I was off school for 3 weeks recovering from an operation.
Each case used to be spread over 3 days/3 episodes and we used to love Friday's episode as it was always the verdict. Experience has taught me that it was worryingly realistic !
:-)

Last edited:
I built an MDF box within an MDF box, put it in a kitchen cupboard and decoupled it with blocks of foam and that works great. The actual isocabs don't look like they'll attenuate if you turn up the volume.
Well, I'm not sure waht you mean, but yes, they 'attenuate' the overall volume, but not enough for what I want them to be. I just need to do everyting 'in the box' as they say, But even then I want an iso-room for just the sound of the electric 'acoustically'. I want NO sound to come out. I want one for vocals, too, but you can't make one quiet enough for me, unless you've got a warehouse to build it in.

Well, I'm not sure waht you mean, but yes, they 'attenuate' the overall volume, but not enough for what I want them to be
I wasn't very clear was I !? :spank:
They do attenuate the sound, but when I listened to people demo~ing them, they didn't seem like you could push them at full volume and get virtually no sound coming out, which, like you, was what I was looking for at the time. The one I built, I just put my combo amps in there and blast away. You can hear a little sound but nothing sufficient to disturb. My wife has been working from home in the kitchen for the last 16 months and she doesn't hear it when I use it to record.

I wasn't very clear was I !? :spank:
They do attenuate the sound, but when I listened to people demo~ing them, they didn't seem like you could push them at full volume and get virtually no sound coming out, which, like you, was what I was looking for at the time. The one I built, I just put my combo amps in there and blast away. You can hear a little sound but nothing sufficient to disturb. My wife has been working from home in the kitchen for the last 16 months and she doesn't hear it when I use it to record.
That's what I need!

Back