How to make my VO sound like its a voicemail?

I don't really know anything about different voice effects... I have a commission where someone wants it to sound like its a voicemail. How would you go about that? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Depending on what era of voicemail you're going for, there are a lot of aspects to what degraded the audio quality.

What I would do personally is downsample the recording to 10 or 20 kHz. I might also HPF the recording. Then record it to a low-quality tape and record that back into your DAW.
Alternatively, you could literally sing the part into a voicemail inbox and then sample it from there.

Depending on what era of voicemail you're going for, there are a lot of aspects to what degraded the audio quality.

What I would do personally is downsample the recording to 10 or 20 kHz. I might also HPF the recording. Then record it to a low-quality tape and record that back into your DAW.
Alternatively, you could literally sing the part into a voicemail inbox and then sample it from there.

Thanks for the suggestions! What is HPF? :) High pass filter?

The original specs from Bell telephone was from about 350Hz to 3500Hz. You might try setting the high and low pass filters to those numbers and see if it sounds close to a phone. Also, the noise level is roughly equivalent to a 8-12 bit PCM signal, so background noise is going to be a factor.

If you have a DAW that allows you to encode A-Law or u-Law PCM (telephone signal processing) at around 8 bits or so it might help. It's not "Linear PCM" as we normally use for music, so the signal should be very compressed and band limited, like a phone signal. Then convert back to the linear format of choice.

Back