I'm looking for a good starter vocal mic for under $300 USD - is it possible?

Eric V

Inquiring mind wants to know
I will list my equipment and then my goals:

Equipment:
  • Windows 10 computer i3 with 8 GB RAM
  • Reaper (latest version) DAW
  • Focusrite 4i4 Audio Interface Gen 3

Goals:
  • Vocal mic that could be used for micing a guitar amp speaker (although I plan to go direct with guitars most of the time)
  • (More interested in the vocal capabilities at this time)
  • Not USB, I would prefer to plug directly into the Focusrite with an XLR connector
  • Durable and time-tested etc.

As I mentioned above, I would like a good vocal mic. I have thought about a Shure SM57 but am willing to pay up to around $300 USD or thereabout for a good starter mic, Does anyone have any ideas considering these goals and equipment?

I tend to be a rather strong vocalist, but I can back off if I need to. A front large diapragm mic maybe, or can I get a lot out of an SM 57? My style of music is anywhere from pop to heavy metal and most everything in between.

Thanks for any replies!

Inasmuch as it will be exposed to somewhat loud noises, I'd shoot for a Heil PR40. These come in around $300 but you can find kits for this that include other accessories. I got mine with a mic stand and shock mount.

Inasmuch as it will be exposed to somewhat loud noises, I'd shoot for a Heil PR40. These come in around $300 but you can find kits for this that include other accessories. I got mine with a mic stand and shock mount.
Thanks Jeffery, I appreciate it. I will definitely look at that one.

Honestly, get the 57 and two other $100 mics. The 57 is a good mic for a lot of applications, especially micing amps, and having multiple mics gives you more options and more ability to experiment and find out what exactly you like about the different mics.

Honestly, get the 57 and two other $100 mics. The 57 is a good mic for a lot of applications, especially micing amps, and having multiple mics gives you more options and more ability to experiment and find out what exactly you like about the different mics.
Thanks VHS

You can't go wrong with on of these 3 - I prefer the Aston Orgin - The Audio Technica is just as good although
you might not get along with the high end.

Aston Origin - Low self-noise, wide frequency response. and warm and crisp sound

Audio-Technica AT4040 - Really Versatile.

Everybody will recommend their own favourites.

So I might as well dive and suggest the black Rode NT1 (about $US270). Quiet, versatile and accurate.

I've been quite happy with my NT1. Its very quiet, it's not hyped in the top end, I would say more warm sounding but generally neutral. Stretch things a bit and add an SM57.

Thanks everyone, I will check all of these out. I know that I will buy the SM57 right away, and think about what to add later. I really appreciate all the help.

My first mic was a 57, not a 58 - and those tubular windshields you see them fitted with are pretty good, over the thin foam versions. I'd buy a 57/58 and then keep that money for when you find you need something they can't do well, or just not as 'excitingly'.

Does your budget include a good boom mic stand and pop filter? I'd say even a vocal type of mic, like an SM58, i.e., with a bit more foam and screening, will benefit when you put a pop filter in front of it if you're "a rather strong vocalist."

After the good stand and pop filter, you could just try the SM57, especially if you'll be sticking it in front of an amp. Try it for vocals, and if it doesn't suit you, get a short stand and leave it set up for the guitar.

There are lots of fairly priced condensers out there, and the [newer] RODE NT-1 is good option. If you want to try another dynamic, the EV 835 has a slightly more open sound (to my ear) than the SM58, say, in that price range, and makes a decent alternative to both the 57/58 standards. For more money, the Miktek PM9 has a really nice sound. I sold mine because it seemed to exacerbate the sibilance that my voice has (creating more work in the mix); but, now, when I go back and listen to those recordings, I have to admit it sounds better than my (ancient) SM58 I decided was good enough. (FWIW, "better" on my voice is not a reason to pick a mic ;))

Does your budget include a good boom mic stand and pop filter? I'd say even a vocal type of mic, like an SM58, i.e., with a bit more foam and screening, will benefit when you put a pop filter in front of it if you're "a rather strong vocalist."

After the good stand and pop filter, you could just try the SM57, especially if you'll be sticking it in front of an amp. Try it for vocals, and if it doesn't suit you, get a short stand and leave it set up for the guitar.

There are lots of fairly priced condensers out there, and the [newer] RODE NT-1 is good option. If you want to try another dynamic, the EV 835 has a slightly more open sound (to my ear) than the SM58, say, in that price range, and makes a decent alternative to both the 57/58 standards. For more money, the Miktek PM9 has a really nice sound. I sold mine because it seemed to exacerbate the sibilance that my voice has (creating more work in the mix); but, now, when I go back and listen to those recordings, I have to admit it sounds better than my (ancient) SM58 I decided was good enough. (FWIW, "better" on my voice is not a reason to pick a mic ;))
My budget could be for a mic, and pop filter. I have several mike stands, the standard boom stand type you see on stage. I have owned both SM57 and SM58 mics in the past, but almost always for live singing. I have instrument mic stands, etc. So the mic(s) and filters would be my focus. Thanks for the options, I am looking all of these things up on Amazon, and so I will add these to the list to research.

Right at this moment, I am 100% "Shure" (lol) that I will get an SM57. As I mentioned, I have used it in the past, but that was largely for guitar amp micing purposes on stage. I have used many SM58 mics for singing live, and they are tanks! But all these options all you guys are throwing me is definitely well-received, and I will check out each and every one. The SM57 will be here next week, after I buy it on Thursday of this week. :D

The "strong voice" thing, I trained under a classical music singer, so I can really put it out when needed, but I am trying harder these days to explore more subtle nuances, my wife always said I needed to bring down the volume, so I am concentrating more on dynamics than I may have in the past. My trainer was awesome, but I missed some of the subtler moments she taught me apparently lol.

And thanks Keith, for adding to my list and the options to consider.

Last edited:
I find that the Shure A2WS makes the SM57 just as usable as an SM58 for vocals, if not more. A mesh type pop screen on a gooseneck can be good instead of or in addition to that.
Duly noted, I will pick one up based on that advice, thanks Bouldersoundguy.

Back