Connection Help

StarMan

I have a Mackie 1202 vlz3 mixer console which I use purely for monitoring and controlling my monitor speakers. I recently bought an extra pair of near fields speakers. Now I have hooked up both pairs of speakers to my Mackie, but I noticed that both pairs are being controlled by same knobs and if I, for example, turn down the fader on one pair of speakers, the other pair do the same too. What I need to know is how do I get both pairs to work independently so that if I want to use one pair, I can turn down fader for the pair I am not wanting to use and only have the other pair working.

I have read the Mackie manual but for the life of me, can't figure out how to connect it this way. Any help much appreciated.

I have one set as balanced TRS cabled connected to MAIN OUT ( top of channel on upper front of desk) and another as balanced XLR cabled in MAIN OUT on top side of desk.

Okay, that’s why. Theyre both going to the main outs. Have one of them plugged into the Alt out. You can push a button when you want to hear the other set of speakers.

Sorry for the late reply, I finally got around to doing this as I needed to wait to purchase the proper balanced cables.

>You can push a button when you want to hear the other set of speakers.<
Which buttons? I plugged the other set of speakers into the top side of the mixer where it says ALT/OUTPUT yet am not hearing any sound coming out? Have I got it still not connected right?

Sorry for the late reply, I finally got around to doing this as I needed to wait to purchase the proper balanced cables.

>You can push a button when you want to hear the other set of speakers.<
Which buttons? I plugged the other set of speakers into the top side of the mixer where it says ALT/OUTPUT yet am not hearing any sound coming out? Have I got it still not connected right?
The Mute button also functions to switch the channel to the Alt 3-4 output. If you have a set of speakers connected to Alt 3-4, you should be able to switch to them using the Mute/Alt 3-4 button on the channel(s) in question.

Yes, I tried that, but something seems not right. let me check again. I have attached a screen shot of the top side of mixer where I have the speakers plugged into. In the ALT OUTPUT R/4 & L/3. See image attached. This is correct right?
SS.jpg

That seems like the right place to connect.

The Mute button doesn't just mute things, it reroutes them to the Alt 3-4 output. It will bypass the master fader and control room outputs, so you'll have to use the channel fader to control your volume.

Last edited:
Back