Completely Frustrated w/ Studio One 5

I just swapped over from the latest version of ProTools to Studio One 5 and I am starting to think I made a huge mistake. My reason for swapping was to ditch the ilok and monthly license fee.

My biggest gripe is that Studio One 5 has more bugs than I have ever seen in a DAW. And second is the it is the most unintuitive audio editing software I could imagine. My work flow has been reduced to spending hours reading through this stupid .pdf manual, watching youtube tutorial videos, submitting support tickets, and asking question on the PreSonus forum. I am on day 7 of using this DAW. At first I thought it would be a great replacement, the mixing part of the software is working for me although I do not like the default plug-ins compared to pro-tools. I did a tracking session last night and editing today. Now I'm having big regrets.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks of Studio One 5. I am totally underwhelmed and regretting this decision to switch.

Oh well thanks for listening to my rant.

As I have observed elsewhere, one man's intuition is another man's poison.

I started out with Logic, and became reasonably fluent in it. However, I was never comfortable with it, and did things in a way, that for me, seemed strange.

To work on a recording collaboration with a musical friend, I switched to Reaper. It was like night and day. Reaper was quite unlike Logic, but for me, everything made sense, and I am extremely comfortable with it.

I saresay that experience will be shared by others. Some people willhave taken up Studio One and loved it. Others will hate it. It depends on whether the development team has used the sort of thinking in its programming that you would apply.

As I have observed elsewhere, one man's intuition is another man's poison.

I started out with Logic, and became reasonably fluent in it. However, I was never comfortable with it, and did things in a way, that for me, seemed strange.

To work on a recording collaboration with a musical friend, I switched to Reaper. It was like night and day. Reaper was quite unlike Logic, but for me, everything made sense, and I am extremely comfortable with it.

I saresay that experience will be shared by others. Some people willhave taken up Studio One and loved it. Others will hate it. It depends on whether the development team has used the sort of thinking in its programming that you would apply.

That is definitely some solid advice on perspective. For sure the learning curve and workflow will not feel "comfortable" right out of the gate. I guess the biggest turn off has been the bugs. Somehow S1 -5 crashed my new interface and it had to be power cycled in order to bring the audio back. Icon errors. Buttons seemingly turn on/off with their own will. Program freezes for 10 seconds occasionally. Keep in mind I'm using a brand new computer and we are talking a 4 track song here with no midi, automation, or any other wizardry going on with my projects. ProTools just seemed to be much more stable.

Since I've already purchased the software I'll definitely give this 6-12 months before throwing in the towel.

That is definitely some solid advice on perspective. For sure the learning curve and workflow will not feel "comfortable" right out of the gate. I guess the biggest turn off has been the bugs. Somehow S1 -5 crashed my new interface and it had to be power cycled in order to bring the audio back. Icon errors. Buttons seemingly turn on/off with their own will. Program freezes for 10 seconds occasionally. Keep in mind I'm using a brand new computer and we are talking a 4 track song here with no midi, automation, or any other wizardry going on with my projects. ProTools just seemed to be much more stable.

Since I've already purchased the software I'll definitely give this 6-12 months before throwing in the towel.
That's the sunk cost fallacy. Just because you spent the money doesn't mean you wouldn't still be better off ditching it for something different. I'd suggest giving Reaper a try. It won't cost you anything, and you might find it's worth switching. I use Vegas Pro. I really like the way it works and I'm extremely familiar with it. Reaper is similar enough that I can work pretty efficiently in it. I also know Pro Tools, and switching to Reaper wouldn't be that big a jump.

Stick with it. Takes some familiarisation but it's a very well-featured and supported modern DAW complete platform.

i use studio one, since sonar went t!ts up.

i think it's perfect.

i started with 4, upgraded with the big update under 4, went to 5 and updated since then.

whatever bugs i had ever seen before 5.5, went away.

actually i've never had any issues at all.

i've done 3 albums on studio one now, and they've all turned out exceedingly well.

that's my story.

Back