The New Tone Thread

Lol. Not bad. It's funny how Slash did that album with a Les Paul replica and a rented amp...which he later stole and it got stolen back away from him.

Yeah, they talk about his actually guitar a bit in that video - some Chinese knock off with a pair of Duncans in it apparently. Still, I think they have the AFD tone pretty well done there - 7 grand seems a lot to spend on a guitar tone though!

Had to check out that guitar while I was just having a coffee... its actually only four and a half grand! Bargain.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/BCLPR...op-artist-inspired-59-les-paul-in-mojave-fade

Last edited:
Yeah, they talk about his actually guitar a bit in that video - some Chinese knock off with a pair of Duncans in it apparently. Still, I think they have the AFD tone pretty well done there - 7 grand seems a lot to spend on a guitar tone though!

Had to check out that guitar while I was just having a coffee... its actually only four and a half grand! Bargain.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/BCLPR...op-artist-inspired-59-les-paul-in-mojave-fade

His famous Appetite LP isn't a Chinese knock off. It's a well done replica built by an actual luthier. So it being a fake Les Paul is a little misleading. It's probably just as good or better than a real Les Paul.

I've played through those AFD amps many times. They're pretty nice. Really nice. That Appetite sound IMO all comes down to the amp. The amp was a modded Marshall 100w Super Lead Tremolo. The Trem circuit was converted to an extra gain stage. He's still Slash and he still plays Les Pauls, but he's never again sounded like that AFD sound.

Your new hero George Lynch also used that same amp for some Dokken stuff because it was, like I said, a rental from SIR in LA..

By the way - supposedly no one knows where that Appetite amp is now. Slash's tech inadvertently returned it for service and the rental firm repossessed it. Since then it's been rented out again and re-stolen. It's MIA.

Somewhere out there, probably in some attic or basement, sits one of the most famous amps in rock and roll history.

By the way - supposedly no one knows where that Appetite amp is now. Slash's tech inadvertently returned it for service and the rental firm repossessed it. Since then it's been rented out again and re-stolen. It's MIA.

Somewhere out there, probably in some attic or basement, sits one of the most famous amps in rock and roll history.

Ah, I'm sure it will turn up in crap shop that sells 2nd hand gear next to a studio that I've used a few times... maybe not.

I did listen to a little bit of Dokken - it was almost unlistenable!

I remember a couple years ago, me & the Gerg did a little Appetite tone chase here...Greg got closer than I did on that, & it was a lot of fun for me...I finally came to the conclusion I wasn't gonna sound like anyone but me...:D

I remember a couple years ago, me & the Gerg did a little Appetite tone chase here...Greg got closer than I did on that, & it was a lot of fun for me...I finally came to the conclusion I wasn't gonna sound like anyone but me...:D

I'm not good at any of that tone chasing stuff. How you play what you're trying to mimic has too much of an impact on the overall sound. I can't play Slash riffs or EVH riffs so even if I went back in time and used their exact gear I wouldn't sound anything like them.

I'm not good at any of that tone chasing stuff. How you play what you're trying to mimic has too much of an impact on the overall sound. I can't play Slash riffs or EVH riffs so even if I went back in time and used their exact gear I wouldn't sound anything like them.

I finally came to realize that myself man, some things I can get a little closer to than others because I can play 'em just a little better, but no matter what, I'm gonna sound like me....

I took 6000 grand literally (6mill) and was gob smacked then 6 grand is expensive.
Being 30 when AFD came out and listening to The Birthday Party et al I had no time for Gunners music for the racism, swaying hips and stupidity of Wheelrod mainly. I've tried to go back and like them but it hasn't worked. Now, tone wise Roland S Howard - that's signature guitar sound...

Not a popular tone or one copied by many (any) but signature nonetheless.
I saw them as the Boys Next Door, The Birthday party, Nick's 1st solo gig & the Badseeds a few times.

Yeah, I know - back to solid tones...

Ray, I do agree with your on your opinion of GnR, but they did have some good rock songs. The Birthday Party were fucking great though!

To be fair, I think the allegations of racism, misogyny and homophobia were mainly directed at Axl Rose rather than GnR as a whole.

I obviously didn't get into GnR until the early 90s - certainly in the UK music press Axl already had a pretty bad reputation, mainly due to the lyrics of One In A Million. But then, GnR were already going out of fashion by then so he was a pretty easy target. He didn't exactly help himself though, as he was known to act like a twat, was still coming out with some homophobic stuff and knocked women about.

I think Slash is actually on record as saying he wasn't cool with One In A Million actually - not sure though. Did you know he's actually from the north of England?

I think One In A Million was actually covered by Skrewdriver!

You took the words out of my mouth.
I have never heard them described as racist before....Their lead guitarist is mixed race.

Right. Misogynist, maybe. All that sleaze glam rock is pretty misogynistic. But I don't recall anything racist about GnR. They're pretty tame overall.

To be fair, I think the allegations of racism, misogyny and homophobia were mainly directed at Axl Rose rather than GnR as a whole.

I obviously didn't get into GnR until the early 90s - certainly in the UK music press Axl already had a pretty bad reputation, mainly due to the lyrics of One In A Million. But then, GnR were already going out of fashion by then so he was a pretty easy target. He didn't exactly help himself though, as he was known to act like a twat, was still coming out with some homophobic stuff and knocked women about.

I think Slash is actually on record as saying he wasn't cool with One In A Million actually - not sure though. Did you know he's actually from the north of England?

The problem with all of that is the double standard. Rap is celebrated for being racist, homophobic, and sexist. But when a cheesy white guy does it, it's the end of the world.

Back