REM - Losing my religion (Metal cover)

Sh*t dude I might have to up my heart medication :)

I was struggling to separate out the guitars and bass on the verse and thought the bass was light on the hook, but I'm on headphones tonight so......

The vocal sounded a bit pitchy - or is it quirky?

Best

I'm mostly hearing kick and scratchy guitars. Vocal is buried and seems to have little relationship to the melody. Sorry, had to bail. You might want to rethink this one.

I can't speak for the mix, since I'm far away from my equipment right now and am listening on laptop speakers. I don't really need to know any more than what I can hear, though. From what I can hear, the music sounds decent and tight (though honestly I don't understand doing the 16th note palm muting thing for this song, even if it is metal). The vocal, however, makes my eyes water. I hope that doesn't come off as mean, but it is literally true and I don't see any way around it. You might be able to make something out of this, but you need a new singer to even make it worth your time.

I wouldn't call it a final mix unless you give up.
The vocal pitch is odd and wavers.
The rhythm of the guitars is at odds with the vocal - sometimes that can work if the melodies floats across the beat but on this it sounds disassociated.
Get back in there and work on it.

The vocals aren't necessarily bad, but it sounds like the singer is singing to a different backing track than the one that we're listening to. It's like the vocals are in a different key than the guitars, and the vocal rhythm is too loose with respect to the metronome-like double kick and guitars. Too much kick in the mix, and I can't hear the bass.

Hmmm. Well, I had about the same experience as Fleet. We have the same phones.

Not too much enjoyable here. Get the music tight and worked out first. Then get in the vocals in and on time/pitch. Cymbal crashes are way off, as are most instruments.

Good intent with a great song. But give it more thought all around.

The vocals aren't necessarily bad, but it sounds like the singer is singing to a different backing track than the one that we're listening to. It's like the vocals are in a different key than the guitars, and the vocal rhythm is too loose with respect to the metronome-like double kick and guitars. Too much kick in the mix, and I can't hear the bass.

This ^

Your singer is all over the joint like a madwoman's breakfast in terms of staying in the same key. How are you not aware of this?

Ditto on the comments on the singer, also the double speed kick just does not fit the song, the tempo is all over the place. it all just sounds dis-jointed, the song does not flow or blend well. just my 2 cents.

If it isn't obvious to you that the timing is totally messed up here. Then...

Sorry man. My personal opinion is that this is totally not ready for sharing. I don't mean to come across as a dick, but this is not right...The drums are not even synced to a time grid. The guitars are sloppy and out of time with whatever it was playing with. The vocals do sound like they are sang to a completely different track. I wonder if you put this together from pieces of other shit badly.

This could be awesome. But it isn't yet man.

Sorry for not replying earlier, I took the weekend to think about all your posts!

First of all thank you all for your comments.

As for the vocals, I know they are not in tune. I refused to do autotune after a "diference of opinion" with the singer who stated that it was OK. But then again, it would take a lot of time to tune it and making her sing it all over again would have similar results. And so this version is Her version.

as for the music. I found some of the comments strange. like the instruments where off beat. Both the drums and the bass are midi so they cannot be off beat, I played the guitars on top of that and i know it is not *perfect*, but i didn't see that much of a mess of it. Perhaps i need to listen to it with different perspective.

As for the 16th note and the kick, i did this on purpose. I was going for the power-metal vibe very fast and steady, almost square, in this song that is anything but square. The kick was Eq-ed specially to stand out like this, but it seems that most didn't like it. On the other hand the bass was pretty straight forward so i know it becomes kind of a blur during the verse, but it is meant to be that way, just to fill those low frequencies.

I must rethink a lot here.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment!

Federico

If the singer wanted the vocals that way then I suggest you send her copies of the comments so she can consider the matter more carefully. With the added bvox or reverb she sounds like Patti Smith singing down the phone to a different song.
Repost the track without the vocals and people might be able to help you with things that you can work on. The vocals are far too distracting currently.

Oh my god. That tune is a mess. Time to re do it from the beginning or just quit.
Sorry to be harsh. But I listened and read all the comments, which were spot on, by the way, and came to the conclusion that there is no saving this tune.
If it were me, I'd delete it from soundcloud as fast as possible.

More basic things other than mix advice are needed. Things like arranging, performance, and production.
If you sincerely think this is good and acceptable, even for a home recording forum, it shows how far you still have to go.

Sorry to be so blunt.

Oh my god. That tune is a mess. Time to re do it from the beginning or just quit.
Sorry to be harsh. But I listened and read all the comments, which were spot on, by the way, and came to the conclusion that there is no saving this tune.
If it were me, I'd delete it from soundcloud as fast as possible.

More basic things other than mix advice are needed. Things like arranging, performance, and production.
If you sincerely think this is good and acceptable, even for a home recording forum, it shows how far you still have to go.

Sorry to be so blunt.

wow , That WAS harsh.
I am taking everybody's advice, and listening to all comment/suggestions on what i did wrong and how to make it better.

But seriously. what are you going with this type of comment? It's not perfect, i know. It may not even be good, I also know, but never encourage a guy to quit. After all, if i posted here i wanted to learn and have a different perspective. It is not possible to do everything wrong. While it may be true that i have a long way to go, i have already gone a long way and I am proud of that.

I dont mean quit, like stop doing music. I mean quit as in give up on doing this tune. I DID also say redo it from the beginning. That was your FIRST option.

I'm sure you've come a long way. We all have, we've all come from nothing.

Also, I brought up that arranging, performance and production need to be worked on. On this piece the songwriting aspect is done.

Don't take my comments as a hatefest on you, cause it's not.
It's just one person's take on your rendition of this song. If I personally know what I'm doing (or not) as to recording doesn't matter. However, I've been listening to and buying music for many many years. When I think something is horrible, it's not because of personal reasons.

I hope from all these comments, including mine, you can learn more on your path to greatness. I also hope you continue to move forward.

I dont mean quit, like stop doing music. I mean quit as in give up on doing this tune. I DID also say redo it from the beginning. That was your FIRST option.

I'm sure you've come a long way. We all have, we've all come from nothing.

Also, I brought up that arranging, performance and production need to be worked on. On this piece the songwriting aspect is done.

Don't take my comments as a hatefest on you, cause it's not.
It's just one person's take on your rendition of this song. If I personally know what I'm doing (or not) as to recording doesn't matter. However, I've been listening to and buying music for many many years. When I think something is horrible, it's not because of personal reasons.

I hope from all these comments, including mine, you can learn more on your path to greatness. I also hope you continue to move forward.

You were a little harsh. You were right, though. :D

In the meantime, the song I mentioned I was working on in that thread a couple of weeks ago is a couple of threads below this one. :D

In the meantime, the song I mentioned I was working on in that thread a couple of weeks ago is a couple of threads below this one. :D

Is that a hint? As in I should chime in?
Are you sure??? :D

Ok, I'll have a listen.
:D

Back