Original song "Marianas" - first complete mix.

Thanks, TripleM :) What exactly did you find 80s style about the snare? I added a little ambience and lifted the top end a bit, but other than that I'm a bit bemused. Do you mean 80s like Stewart Copeland, or 80s like Bonnie Tyler? When I think of 80s snares, I think massive, over-reverbed, white noise generated "Dooooossshhh" sounds. I'm certainly not hearing that! :D

Big gated reverb on the snare... that's what's called for!:)

I too am curious about this.

I remember the last version - this one has evolved nicely since. The spoken word sits a little better maybe and it has a richer accompaniment. I'm on the fence regarding the level, if you drop it anymore I think it would be too low in parts.
The drum reverb is a little "obvious" in the intro as it is all "alone" there but when it gets going it's perfectly suited. Definitely has a Floyd vibe to me :D. That big reverb and the floating/soaring vocals and lead are excellent.

Great tune, I'll have to make it a part of my MP3 Mixing Clinic listening catalog.
Thanks - praise indeed!

I remember the last version - this one has evolved nicely since. The spoken word sits a little better maybe and it has a richer accompaniment. I'm on the fence regarding the level, if you drop it anymore I think it would be too low in parts.
The drum reverb is a little "obvious" in the intro as it is all "alone" there but when it gets going it's perfectly suited. Definitely has a Floyd vibe to me :D. That big reverb and the floating/soaring vocals and lead are excellent.

Thanks again, Ido! Regarding the Floyd thing, I reckon I've always had a proggy side to me and I do think David Gilmour is one of the great soloists. I think the economy of his style and the soaring quality of his relatively simple leads were definitely at the back of my mind when I came up with it. That plus Jonny Greenwood's discords and Joey Santiago's tortured lead sounds are the typical flavours in anything I try to come up with.

Hello!

I am really digging the spacey mix you've got going on here! Me, being a sucker for reverb thinks this sounds absolutely stunning. Good mix and great tune.

With love
/Known as, Beppe

Hello!

I am really digging the spacey mix you've got going on here! Me, being a sucker for reverb thinks this sounds absolutely stunning. Good mix and great tune.

With love
/Known as, Beppe

Thanks, Beppe! :D I really appreciate your support.

Interesting song. Science class and music class rolled into one. Cool.

You got a lot of good words and advice already, I just wanted to mention the great job done on the background vocals. They really complete the feel of the song.

And hey, I haven't been to the marianas trench, but I have been to the Puerto Rican trench. Well at least as deep as our little submarine could go. It's like the 5th deepest spot on earth, or something.
:thumbs up:

Back