Greg L and Bubba po collab - "Last Gang In Town" by the Clash.

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
Greg suggested this collaboration. He supplied the drums and bass, I did the guitars, vocals and mix. I''m going send Greg my contributions so he can do his own version. I hope you like it.

I'm not familiar with the original for this one. Levels on this are real good. I like the vocal a bit out front.

OK having said the levels are good, the guitar on the right is a dash louder than the guitar on the left.

But that's about it. It sounds real good.

Cymbals have that SoundCloud swish to them. Nothing you can do about that.

Is Greg coming back?

Good sounds Bubba. Really good vocal sound on this. Great bass guitar and drum sound on it too. I like the lead guitar tone. It's a better mix than what I just put up so I don't really see anything to nitpick
Great tune Bubba!

Collective class and taste fellows.
For me the vox are a little loud but I cross reference with the original & it's about right.
I think the 1st "All looking' round" part is the vocal level I like.
I love the relative minimalist lead lines Jones used - you did 'em very well.
Good tones!
COOL

I'm not familiar with the original. There's a few flat spots in the vocal - but that may be the way Strummer dunnit. Otherwise the performances are great. There's plenty of room in the mix to even out the dynamics, blend the various parts together, and bring out the raw energy of the recording. That's right, the C word

I'm not familiar with the original for this one. Levels on this are real good. I like the vocal a bit out front.

OK having said the levels are good, the guitar on the right is a dash louder than the guitar on the left.

But that's about it. It sounds real good.

Cymbals have that SoundCloud swish to them. Nothing you can do about that.

Is Greg coming back?

I wasn't familiar with the original of this one either! :D Thanks for the comments, you're right about the guitar imbalance, I think.

Greg will definitely be back, I think.

Cool stuff dude :D
Thanks, Phil. :)

Good sounds Bubba. Really good vocal sound on this. Great bass guitar and drum sound on it too. I like the lead guitar tone. It's a better mix than what I just put up so I don't really see anything to nitpick
Great tune Bubba!

Thanks for commenting, Jimi. The comments about the vocal especially. They are what they are, considering what genre the song is. I'm not a good singer (unlike yourself). The lead guitar tone is a Vox AC15 turned right up on the Hi boost channel, no pedals or effects.

Collective class and taste fellows.
For me the vox are a little loud but I cross reference with the original & it's about right.
I think the 1st "All looking' round" part is the vocal level I like.
I love the relative minimalist lead lines Jones used - you did 'em very well.
Good tones!
COOL

Thank you Ray. I agree with you that the vocals are too loud. I always want to bury them because I'm ridiculously self-conscious about them and I have to make a particular effort to fight against that tendency. I always love the instruments, hate the vocals. :D

This is my last Clash tune for the foreseeable future. :)

I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but... I think you can bring the guitars up a bit. All else sounds good in my studio.

Never heard this song before, but I like it.

Love this song.

I'm feeling like the snare has a bit of a 'dampened' vibe going on. Lots of body, not much crack. I think it would benefit from more top end (and maybe if you have the bottom of the snare mic'd, that can come up a bit as well).

Agree that the guitars are a little out of level with each other.

Great bass tone.

Really job on the vocals.

Excellent sounding guitars as well.

Very good mix/production overall. Enjoyed the (multiple) listen(s)!

Right on!

For my ears, there are timing issues in the guitars in the intro that may be worth tweaking. The rest sounds very Clash-y through my MacBook speakers.

I'm hearing a ton of swishy bad-compression artifacts. Soundcloud?

The right guitar is a bit louder than the left.

Greg suggested this collaboration. He supplied the drums and bass, I did the guitars, vocals and mix. I''m going send Greg my contributions so he can do his own version. I hope you like it.

Sounds pretty cool - you're channelling J. Strummer well. There's a word or two in the first half that could probably do with a bump in volume, but nothing to worry about. I hear what I'm assuming is the Soundcloud swishy cymbal thing, but if it's not happening in the master, no problems. Guitars sound right to me, level-wise but we're getting into personal mix preferences there I think.

Well done son. What's next?

No idea, mate. I need something really, really involved. Like my Radiohead stuff.

Hmm... tricky. No, I didn't mean Tricky, I think we can do without that... :D

How do you feel about Television and some of the Noo Yorky Noo Wavy stuff? I can see something like "See No Evil" as being down your street stylistically, and there's lots going on there. You have a definite English voice though... I'll give it further thought.:)

Hmm... tricky. No, I didn't mean Tricky, I think we can do without that... :D

How do you feel about Television and some of the Noo Yorky Noo Wavy stuff? I can see something like "See No Evil" as being down your street stylistically, and there's lots going on there. You have a definite English voice though... I'll give it further thought.:)

You know what? I absolutely LOVE Marquee Moon. :D

Do some Smiths or Damned, Bubba. I bet you could pull off a good version of video nasty

Do some Smiths or Damned, Bubba. I bet you could pull off a good version of video nasty

Smiths, I could pull off Johnny Marr. Wait. That came out all wrong.

Me and Frank ( the amazing product of my loins) could do the music, but who could do Morrissey's voice?

The Damned I do every weekend. I love their songs but I need a Challenge. :D

But I'm not a shredder - please don't suggest anything that requires great guitar chops. :D

Unless you wanted to contribute, JDOD? :)

Back