Call on Jesus, local gospel group

Atkron205

I recorded this last weekend, this is the rough mix.:D

Attachments

• Call on Jesus mix 1 rev 2.mp3
    4.4 MB · Views: 19
Seems like the bass and guitar aren't on point rhythm wise. Singers sound nice though. The intro is hard to focus on, it might be shortened and still have the effect of a band falling into a groove I think.

The band needs a little practice. They were pretty messy. I'm hearing some pitch problems too.

Mix had a general brittleness. The guitars were a little crisp. Vocals, especially the lead vocal, is missing some low mid-range. Like the 200-10K range.

Cymbals were a bit too sizzly and a bit forward in the mix. Snare sound was pretty good.

What others have said. The groove needs to be rock solid in this kind of music--any kind, actually, but this especially. I can't tell if your drummer is pushing or your bass is dragging, but either way they are not tight. They needed to rehearse more and gig the song at their church a few times before hitting the studio.

But it's recorded, so what's done is done. I'd get in there and do a bit of surgery on the rhythm tracks, some snipping and dragging. It could help. I liked that snare sound too.

I agree with many of the comments made here. The drummer does actually seem to be the most solid here tho. Did you record with a click? Did you record this all live?

The bass and guitar player sounded like they are almost always late. Makes me wonder if you don't have some input/output delay when recording their tracks.

I listened to this and to what everyone stated. To me it felt like the band was trying to be loose, but in this case it didn't work. I think there is solid potential here, but another swing at it would greatly benefit everyone involved.

The bass and guitar player sounded like they are almost always late. Makes me wonder if you don't have some input/output delay when recording their tracks.

That would be a best-case scenario. If the lag is consistent then it's an easy edit.

I agree with many of the comments made here. The drummer does actually seem to be the most solid here tho. Did you record with a click? Did you record this all live?

Thanks everyone, I had a few challenges on this one, 1st, the guitar player had never played the song before, they had a really bad cassette recording of it, so I recorded it onto a track and used it as a scratch track. that allowed me to get a rhythm guitar track, then I added the bass track and lead guitar. I tried to use a click track but it threw all of them off. The drummer was a 16 year old kid and he was really nervous about the whole recording thing. he was a pretty good drummer though, I think the big issue was no one really knew the song well. as to a recording delay, I don't think so, could be wrong but I have not had a problem with it before. everything was tracked. as to editing such as moving things around, I am ignorant to the whole process so I have to learn it. They want to do some more stuff so next time I will have to put my foot down on a few things. they are really nice people, don't want to come across as an ass or know it all. I just want it to be better. Im looking forward to next time. :D

The editing is not really hard, just save a copy of the original tracks before you start. It's just a matter of zooming in on the wave forms in your tracks, splitting the tracks and sliding the clips a bit left or right until the timing sounds closer. Just part of the normal cleanup on any project, really. For some reason I often get a few milliseconds lag when I lay down a bass track. Or my timing goes off. So I do this kind of editing to get the timing tight on just every project. You can't perform miracles but minor timing problems are easily corrected.

The editing is not really hard, just save a copy of the original tracks before you start. It's just a matter of zooming in on the wave forms in your tracks, splitting the tracks and sliding the clips a bit left or right until the timing sounds closer. Just part of the normal cleanup on any project, really. For some reason I often get a few milliseconds lag when I lay down a bass track. Or my timing goes off. So I do this kind of editing to get the timing tight on just every project. You can't perform miracles but minor timing problems are easily corrected.

Thanks for the advice. I really do need to play around with it and learn how to do it. more reading.:D

Back