Re-Amping

What style of tones do you actually want? <1 watt amps fucking suck. They're flat and fizzy and just sound like shit. I suspect you'd do better with sims.

What style of tones do you actually want? <1 watt amps fucking suck. They're flat and fizzy and just sound like shit. I suspect you'd do better with sims.

The only reasons I hate sims is I didn't know how to get feedback, and that annoying/buzzing/brittle upper frequency. Otherwise they sound okay, and I'd just use them. I might have to just settle and use them. But ideally I'd want tones like the Strokes, Libertines etc mixed with 90s-2000s indie/underground rock and 70s punk. I guess gritty but with some body to it. The sims can do the grit part okay, but it sounds 2-dimensional and flat (to me at least), and worst is that annoying brittle frequency. The moment I hear it I want to vomit and then go buy a house in the woods, far far away from people.

The two dimensional flat thing is usually the cab sim IMO. The higher end sim packages come with pretty good amp models, but the virtual cabs usually suck. Have you tried separate cab impulses? They work like reverb impulse files. You can use an amp sim model and send it to a good cab impulse file. You'll need a convolution plug-in like SIR or if you use Reaper, you can use Reaverb..

Keep in mind that those tones you seek, like most great tones, are done with volume. Low gain, mild pickups, huge volume. I realize you can't blast amps where you are, but if you can find a way, do it. There's no replacement for a big amp pumping out triple digit decibels.

The two dimensional flat thing is usually the cab sim IMO. The higher end sim packages come with pretty good amp models, but the virtual cabs usually suck. Have you tried separate cab impulses? They work like reverb impulse files. You can use an amp sim model and send it to a good cab impulse file. You'll need a convolution plug-in like SIR or if you use Reaper, you can use Reaverb..

Keep in mind that those tones you seek, like most great tones, are done with volume. Low gain, mild pickups, huge volume. I realize you can't blast amps where you are, but if you can find a way, do it. There's no replacement for a big amp pumping out triple digit decibels.

I use the Rosen impulses. I think they're a fairly new company, but I like how they sound as far as sims go, and they are the best I've found. They've been workable with a lot of tweaking. I load them in LeCab/LePou. It's freeware and has a good reputation, but if there's something better please point me to it.

I usually wind up notching out the brittle/buzzy frequency most I can before it begins to sound lifeless, and then add a little reverb to the sim. Are there any other tricks?

The only way I can do real amps is if I travel to see some friends. I do have two who have recording space and amps, but one is 13hrs away. The other guy is only 3hrs away and a more viable option, but I only know him as an acquaintance through the other guy. Maybe I can place an ad on Craigslist where someone lets me use their space for an afternoon or rent a house for a week. Those are things I hadn't though of until now, but might be good options.

Just get a rehearsal space on an hourly rental basis. Bring your laptop, interface, some mics and go to work.
Volume problem solved. :D

Just get a rehearsal space on an hourly rental basis. Bring your laptop, interface, some mics and go to work.

When I was in bands we just rehearsed at our houses, so I've honestly never been to one. What are they like? Are they sound proof or is there bleed from other people rehearsing? and are they decent rooms to record in? I can't imagine they'd be worse than my apartment...

Most from a practical business necessity are sound proofed pretty well.
For recording you may have some low end bleed from a neighboring room.
One way to get around interference is to rent on a weekend morning or daytime.
Might get better rates too since "prime time" is eves and weekends.

If they have a bunch of rooms ask for a tour. Most are happy to show off the facilities, and try to get a room farther away from the others.

I used to own a studio so im not talking out my ass. A 6 room facility with a seperate recording room uostairs and away from the normal rehearsal spaces.

Any decent place will be helpful to your cause. They want the biz. And filling off hours are desireable both to you and the place.

I used to gave regulars who'd come in with a small setup all the time to track drums and guitars. They'd bring a mackie board and an adat.
Now with the power of a laptop it's easier.

Most from a practical business necessity are sound proofed pretty well.
For recording you may have some low end bleed from a neighboring room.
One way to get around interference is to rent on a weekend morning or daytime.
Might get better rates too since "prime time" is eves and weekends.

If they have a bunch of rooms ask for a tour. Most are happy to show off the facilities, and try to get a room farther away from the others.

I used to own a studio so im not talking out my ass. A 6 room facility with a seperate recording room uostairs and away from the normal rehearsal spaces.

Any decent place will be helpful to your cause. They want the biz. And filling off hours are desireable both to you and the place.

I used to gave regulars who'd come in with a small setup all the time to track drums and guitars. They'd bring a mackie board and an adat.
Now with the power of a laptop it's easier.

Awesome, thanks.

I used to do something like this before I had my own battery of amps. It wasn't a volume problem for me, it was a lack of gear problem. But the solution was the same. Being mainly a drummer, I could record drums at home, but I had no amps worth recording. So instead of being a sim monkey, I'd go to my band's practice space for guitar tracking and just use my guys' amps.

Most rehearsal studios have monthly rooms and hourly rooms. If you go at non-peak times (not at night) you might be the only person there.

Do people like these? I was looking them up recently and didn't really like the sound.
I'm no amp snob by any stretch. I just didn't really like the pignose.

They get good ratings, and I hear they are good with cigarbox guitars for some reason. I've never played through one, though.

The only reasons I hate sims is I didn't know how to get feedback, and that annoying/buzzing/brittle upper frequency.

Yeah...that brittle/buzz thing always gets me too.
Check out Scuffham Amps at: Scuffham Amps
Their amp sims are quite good...but still, just sims. They have a full version 15-day demo...no restrictions.
I bought them and some other amp sims, and a nice reamp setup just to have on hand for some point down the road when I really have no other option. I even went through a low wattage amp phase several years ago.

After all that... still prefer miking my amps and recording that way...and I got rid of all my very low wattage stuff.
Most times, I'm playing them at around 2/3 full volume or more. I got my headphones on, and there no one that's going to complain. :)

AFA feedback from sims or reamping...it has the same problem as an amp...you have to play loud, so then you might as well do it the right way, with an amp.

The rehearsal space rental thing RFR mentioned is certainly an option, or like Greg said, find a buddy who has a place where you can play loud.
Like sims, or the very low wattage amps, or building amp coffins...they are all substitutes that each have some issues.
Now, if you just need to record some basic guitar tracks, and you are not that picky...all those things can work for a given situation...but if your a real guitar guy, and a tone snob (I mean that in a nice way)...then all those option will always fall a little short for your and you will feel like you are settling for something rather than getting what you really want.

Find a way...there's always a solution. ;)

There's a rehearsal studio in my town, less than ten minutes away by car. It's pretty nice, with a range of rooms from something not much bigger than a bedroom (but higher ceilings) to small venue size spaces with stage, lights, sound, back line etc. National acts rehearse there. The lady who cuts my hair rehearses there with her band. It's a pretty cool setup. Every town should have one of these places.

There's a rehearsal studio in my town, less than ten minutes away by car. It's pretty nice, with a range of rooms from something not much bigger than a bedroom (but higher ceilings) to small venue size spaces with stage, lights, sound, back line etc. National acts rehearse there. The lady who cuts my hair rehearses there with her band. It's a pretty cool setup. Every town should have one of these places.

I think every town does. Well, cities do, maybe not "towns".

I think every town does. Well, cities do, maybe not "towns".

Well, it's technically a city but where I live is the old town. The rehearsal studio is at the edge of the old town in a light industrial zone. And there are probably a dozen or so rehearsal places around the Denver area.

There's a by-the-hour place near where I live. Noise-wise it's about the same as a warehouse practice space, where you hear every band in the hall when you're not playing. Can't imagine tracking anything serious there.

There's a by-the-hour place near where I live. Noise-wise it's about the same as a warehouse practice space, where you hear every band in the hall when you're not playing. Can't imagine tracking anything serious there.

oh man.

i will find a place and go check it out for an hour. how much do these places usually charge per hour?
if it sucks i'll look into renting a house in the woods for a week...i'd rather do that anyway because I can take my time. now i just have to find an amp...greg, what amp would you suggest for the tones i was mentioning?

greg, what amp would you suggest for the tones i was mentioning?

Any of the usual suspects will get you there. Fenders, Orange, and Vox all do garage dirty really good and can be found as mid-watt combos. Marshalls are a little more limited unless you go huge. Most of the Marshall stuff that does those tones is expensive and/or loud as fuck. Jut stick with the classics and stay away from guitar hero mega-gain shred amps.

More importantly IMO is the pickups you use for those kinds of tones. I would think you'd want a P-90 guitar or something similar to a P-90. A mild humbucker would work too.

Yeah...that brittle/buzz thing always gets me too.
Check out Scuffham Amps at: Scuffham Amps
Their amp sims are quite good...but still, just sims. They have a full version 15-day demo...no restrictions.
I bought them and some other amp sims, and a nice reamp setup just to have on hand for some point down the road when I really have no other option. I even went through a low wattage amp phase several years ago.

After all that... still prefer miking my amps and recording that way...and I got rid of all my very low wattage stuff.
Most times, I'm playing them at around 2/3 full volume or more. I got my headphones on, and there no one that's going to complain. :)

By very-low watt, I'm guessing you're talking about 1-5 watts or thereabouts? What did you try, specifically? I'm curious to know what people do with these small amp, what works and what doesn't. I am a fan of low watt amps, but there is a limit. I've got a Hughes and Kettner amp with an adjustable load that goes from 18 to 5 to 1 watt, plus DI. The 5 watt setting is useful for recording, the 1 watt setting not so much.

I've tried sims, but they never cut it for me. Partly it's the fun factor. I've got decent gear and a place to record. Micing an amp is more fun. It also sounds better to my ears in the music that I do.

Last edited:
1. I don't think it's exactly the same because of electric resistance diffs. But if you study the subject and experiment with different equipment, I believe it's possible to get very close.
2. your playing is highly affected by what you hear when you play, therefore, to me, reamping makes absolutely no sense... I have to nail the sound up front.
3. Both don't work for me. I don't have tons of experience with amp sims, but from what I did try, it just doesn't feel right to me...

Cheers

Back