Guitarfetish

beezelbubba

Shitty Buddhist
Anybody buy from them?
Their prices seem to good to be true.
The few things I've bought from them seem to be pretty good.

I've bought plenty.

a guitar.
several pickups
a bridge for my bass.
a neck (a good deal)
a body
tuners.
maybe a few other things I can't remember.

Chili, how would you rate the quality of the neck and body (the neck especially)?

I need a strat neck with a rosewood board (I'd rather have ebony, but...) and I'm having a hard time balancing getting something that's good enough that I won't still want to replace it immediately vs something that I can actually afford and justify.

I'm no aficionado and I wouldn't know what reasons one would consider a neck to suck, but it seems really good. It is a bass neck. It has a truss rod. No twist, very straight and true. I've got it set up and no buzzing. It has a plastic nut rather than the graphite stuff they put on their guitars, but that's easy to change. The headstock was a paddle so I could cut my own design.

The holes for the tuners were pre-drilled and sized for Fender elephant style tuners. I wanted to use other tuners but the diameter on them were too small and there was too much slop in the holes. I hate those elephant style tuners. So goofy looking, but not pertinent to your question.

It's the same neck that is on my last bass build if you care to go back and look at that thread.

I've bought a set of minhumbuckers and a Musicman style bass humbucker. I'm also no connoisseur, so I'm quite easily satisfied.

Was everything glued up well, no gaps or separations? Were the frets popping out or a lot of fret ends exposed? The tuner holes properly aligned?

That sort of thing.

Nope, none of that. It was playable right out of the box. I adjusted the truss, more so to learn how to adjust it. But the craftsmanship was good.

When I bought my tele from them, the frets needed dressing and trimming on the sides and maybe some other setup stuff that I can't remember. But the bass neck was good. Solid maple with a maple fretboard.

I didn't like the bass body I got from them. Pretty sure it was my own fault, though. I thought I ordered a different body and wood, but got a palwinha (sp???) jazz body. Super light wood and strips easily. After looking at the email receipt, I saw I selected the wrong one.

I've got four Xavier guitars. Three of them (hybrid tele/offset thing, SG, and thinline tele) I bought as blems from their clearance section and I honestly can't tell you what was wrong with any of them. The third was a 335-style semi-hollow that I got as a luthier's special and it needs the neck reattached, but that's why it was cheap. They all ship with stupid light strings, so I end up having to get the nuts re-cut and new setup before I can play them, but that's not a huge deal. I have no problems with fret ends or anything on mine except that my SG frets out somewhere around the 17th on a couple strings. One day I'll hit that with a file... For the prices I paid for these things - especially for an actual set-neck SG, I can't complain.

All of the stock pickups are cool, but I replaced the SCs in the Teles with their GFS blade HBs which are great. I also have one of those (the strat versions) in my Mini-Strat, one in my banjo, and two (left) in an old strat that I had string for baritone. But then I got a baritone (Douglas, from Rondo, which was almost unplayable when i got it, and just barely tolerable after my half-assed fret dressing) and replaced its pickups with their humbucking P90 style things.

I also bought parts for a kind of crazy lap-steel thing that I haven't but yet, a bunch of mirrored pickguard material (the actual pickguard I got had the mirror finish on the top, and it scratched away, but the actual blank material has it on the bottom, so it stays relatively nice looking much longer) and a bunch of knurled tele knobs which are knobs.

I am not super happy with the acoustic pickup I got from them. It was humbucking and on sale or something so I added it with some other order just for shots, but it is insanely microphonic out of the box. I might try to pot it in wax eventually, but it's pretty disappointing.

I have bought parts for a Tele project from them and been very happy with everything I recieved. I went with allparts for the Tele neck though....Outstanding quality neck IMO

I have bought parts for a Tele project from them and been very happy with everything I recieved. I went with allparts for the Tele neck though....Outstanding quality neck IMO

That's kinda why I was asking. I want a new (undrilled) strat neck. I can get one from GFS for about $60, or a guy is selling a new, undrilled Allparts one for $90 (it might be a little more because that may not include shipping and pp). It seems like the Allparts would be the clear choice, but I don't have any experience with either.

Why is allparts so much more expensive than GF? Looking at tuners and a pickguard blank for some stuff I'm working on and the GFS prices for the relatively same thing - especially in pickguard blanks - cost around $40 less than allparts... :confused:

Is the quality difference substantial enough to justify the differences in cost?

Yeah, I guess that's what I'm asking, but as it relates to necks, which to me is the place where you should really spend the money if it makes a difference (and you've got it to spend).

I bought an SG kit, completely unfinished and from what I can tell it looks real nice. A friend of mine that used to work at Guild has set the neck and will complete the assembly when I get it back from the artist that's doing some custom art for me. When I asked my buddy what he thought, he said everything looked real good. He had to fill a few spots and do some sanding (and the frets will need some attention when we get that far) but in general very little work was needed. I say for $179 for the complete kit (including strings, which I'll never use) it was well worth it. And another buddy of mine loves their pickups (and he's very particular and a professional sound guy).

Why is allparts so much more expensive than GF? Looking at tuners and a pickguard blank for some stuff I'm working on and the GFS prices for the relatively same thing - especially in pickguard blanks - cost around $40 less than allparts... :confused:

Is the quality difference substantial enough to justify the differences in cost?

allparts necks are licensed fender replacement necks. It's stamped on the heal. Also, the allparts necks are available in several profiles and fretboard radius's. They have sold thousands of necks and you can pull up several reviews on most any profile and see what people are saying. The allparts headstocks are already cut to correct fender diminsions. Allparts neck are made in Japan where pride is still taken in craftmanship.
To me it was worth the difference to get a tried and true well crafted guitar neck that is a licensed fender replacement. The guitar fetish necks are hit and miss from the reviews I have read. Some people get a great neck for cheap while others get a piece of shit for cheap.

A neck is literally the backbone of your guitar. It's worth spending a little more to get a damp good one IMO

All come are dampened and you needn't ask whether you have to damp or if they come damped.

allparts necks are licensed fender replacement necks. It's stamped on the heal. Also, the allparts necks are available in several profiles and fretboard radius's. They have sold thousands of necks and you can pull up several reviews on most any profile and see what people are saying. The allparts headstocks are already cut to correct fender diminsions. Allparts neck are made in Japan where pride is still taken in craftmanship.
To me it was worth the difference to get a tried and true well crafted guitar neck that is a licensed fender replacement. The guitar fetish necks are hit and miss from the reviews I have read. Some people get a great neck for cheap while others get a piece of shit for cheap.

A neck is literally the backbone of your guitar. It's worth spending a little more to get a damp good one IMO
I get it with the necks, that part makes sense and there's no argument there at all. My question was geared more towards the spare bits and pieces like tuners, pickguards (or a pickguard blank) and stuff like that. GFS wants far less than allparts for a sheet of pickguard material, for example, that I need to complete a major overhaul on a beater git I'm reworking. Was curious about the price difference there; AP wants $23, GFS wants $8 for the same thing. :confused:

Regardless, I just ordered a neck for my actual build from AP... I get it. :thumbs up:

Let me know what you think of it as soon as you get it. It'll be a week before I can buy it, but I'm hoping it'll still be there.

Let me know what you think of it as soon as you get it. It'll be a week before I can buy it, but I'm hoping it'll still be there.
It'll have to be a review without having actually used it; the guitar build has been slow going so far. Too many damn irons in the fire. It'll be at least another month before I get to the point of stringing up the build; the body is cut; waiting on the neck pocket and pup templates and bridge to come in before I start on the finish even. I don't want to skip any steps and screw up a (hopefully) nice finish on the flamed maple top before I get everything drilled and routed.

Back