Best online resource for used guitars, amps & pedals?

notCardio

I walk the line
Other than craigslist for local and ebay for national, what are the best national online places to look?

Any to be avoided?

We've got a few local/regional facebook groups, but are there any national ones?

Oh yeah, and I mean other than GC also. And what the hell did they do to their website? I can't find anything anymore with the new layout that doesn't work.

Don't get mad at me for getting you addicted...but Reverb is a pretty good spot to find some cool used stuff. I think Tadpui got his vintage Jaguar through Reverb; there is a ton of cool shite on there.

Cool. I've looked on GBase (Six Strings is on there - but Dave does a lousy job of keeping it updated) but most of that stuff is out of my price range.

Definitely reverb.com. The assortment of rare, vintage, and used gear there is solely responsible for my recently incurable case of GAS. Want an actual 1957 Les Paul? You can usually find one there. A Dumble amp? Occasionally. That's the stuff that draws me in just for the "oooh" factor, but the insane amount of cool and reasonable gear there is...damaging to my checking account.

And yeah, I did recently find just the right '65 Jazzmaster there, and just yesterday sold my DSL combo amp.

Ah, at this risk of sounding flippant, that's not too bad! I thought they'd be more than that.

I was watching Lee Anderton's video about a (I think '59) Les Paul known as The Beast and they were talking about that one being £200K.

Ah, at this risk of sounding flippant, that's not too bad! I thought they'd be more than that.

I was watching Lee Anderton's video about a (I think '59) Les Paul known as The Beast and they were talking about that one being £200K.

59s for some reason carry more, what's the word.....cache? Flair? Mystique? I don't know why. Probably the burst finishes maybe? Jimmy Page played a 59? Maybe that's why. I think 58 was the first year for bursts. Almost everything before was black or gold tops. Jrs were TV Yellow. But the 59s for some reason are the holy grail Les Pauls.

59s for some reason carry more, what's the word.....cache? Flair? Mystique? I don't know why. Probably the burst finishes maybe? Jimmy Page played a 59? Maybe that's why. I think 58 was the first year for bursts. Almost everything before was black or gold tops. Jrs were TV Yellow. But the 59s for some reason are the holy grail Les Pauls.

Aside from the bursts I think the '59s were the first ones with a thinner neck. Prior to that they were like a bat I think.

Aside from the bursts I think the '59s were the first ones with a thinner neck. Prior to that they were like a bat I think.

Somewhat. I've only handled a few actual 50s Les Pauls in my life, and the necks didn't seem that gigantic to me, and I generally prefer the thinner 60s necks. I'm sensitive to Gibson's baseball bat necks, and those original 50s models just don't feel that big to me. I personally think Gibson has overhyped the 50s vs 60s neck profiles they offer now. They make their "50s neck" huger, and their "60s neck" thinner. When in reality, I think those original necks just came out the way some guy carved them.

There was a '59 on there a couple of weeks ago that some dummy listed for $1,000,000. Some people are really bad at appraising vintage instruments...

But I think that a '59 in good shape can easily go for $250,000 or so. Agreed, they just have that combination of desirable characteristics, and they're scarce, so collectors have driven the prices into outrageous territory.

I made a purchase from Reverb.com just two weeks ago. It was a great experience. Just check out who's selling it and be cautious as always.

But I think that a '59 in good shape can easily go for $250,000 or so. Agreed, they just have that combination of desirable characteristics, and they're scarce, so collectors have driven the prices into outrageous territory.
I think the ones that go for the really mental mortgage style amounts of money tend to be ones that are a) good to play, and b) have had famous owners or been used on well known recordings.

Back