Is my 57 broken?

MDMStudio

This is my first time posting on here, excited to join the community!

So, my SM57 has been sounding fine for vocals but I've never really played around much with it as far as recording acoustic guitar. I've always ran it through my m-audio mobile pre (an earlier version of the one that's out now). Anyways, long story short I tried micing it in both the 12th fret and bridge positions and I'm just getting an awful tone from it, almost like it's being recorded from a laptop mic. Here's a clip of my test recording, anyone have any tips??!!
Thanks,

Attachments

• Sm57 audio test.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Well quit wrestling with it! :)

I am not sure I am hearing much bad from a 57 on acoustic. Sounds a bit distant but that could be placement.

Okay thanks! I might try running it through a different interface tomorrow. Placement seemed to be okay, was a bit close which is why I didn't understand why it sounded so distant.

57's are not typically used for acoustic guitar. Not unless you are looking for a bit of a dull sound. Usually condenser mics are used. I like a LDC at the bridge and a SDC for the fretboard.

But this is even vague as they all sound different.

Just trying to get around buying new equipment...probably end up heading to the store sometime soon! thanks for the help

The MXL 990/991 combo are a cheap way to get into some condensers. Some find them to work well but I will say that after using better you will see the difference.

It really comes down to what your budget is and the quality you desire.

The room that you record in will have much more importance with condenser mics.

Just trying to get around buying new equipment...probably end up heading to the store sometime soon! thanks for the help

Jimmy is absolutely right, you can get some great combo deals with the MXL line. I bought one of those combos with a pair of 770 (I think) but the condenser mic for the instrument does a good job of livening up acoustics. Mics are a lasting investment, I still use an AKG 330 BT from decades ago. Also, you might try using a different string for recording, maybe even a different gauge. Some of the lighter gauge, finger friendly stings just don't produce enough air to capture all the sound that is available. And I know some guitarists will try to get a string that will last longer but will never sound as bright as a new string. But the procedure is different in recording many times than playing live. I know I used to save a set of flat wound bass strings just for certain sessions playing Country. That is what they wanted so after the session, off came the flatwounds and on went the roundwonds....

Problem with that combo is my pre-amp's power. I don't think it will push phantom power to both xlr inputs at once but I could be wrong. Just with new monitors, a midi controller and these mics I'll be pushing my budget a bit if I need a new pre.

You can record acoustic with a 57, but placement (and room treatment) are critical. You'll need to EQ to get past the exagerated 57 mid point and to add some air.

Problem with that combo is my pre-amp's power. I don't think it will push phantom power to both xlr inputs at once but I could be wrong. Just with new monitors, a midi controller and these mics I'll be pushing my budget a bit if I need a new pre.

I can appreciate that. But the price of quality mics today is much less that they once were. It is like interfaces, I am going to have to replace mine and one of the reasons why is because of the USB port only at USB 1 and my interface is not upgradable. But you see, I went cheap. So because I went with the low cost interface, now I have to replace it and put a USB 3 card in my computer. I can get a USB 3 card for about $20. You can get a two channel phantom power supply for pretty cheap. The USB phantom power seems convenient but how well to they keep up?

Sometimes it is just better to buy the right item first. The SM-57 has always been a great studio tool but it might be that one of the reasons it is not as usable as it once was is because we have more technology available to us home recorders. A 57 might be limited now because we can't just "turn it up" on the console like we once did when we were analog. But we also had to deal with tape hiss, cross tracking, cross talking....I think we are better off now not having to deal with all that.

Here is a useable outboard phantom power you might look into when you get some better mics.

Amazon.com: Nady SMPS-2X 2-Channel 48-Volt Phantom Power Supply for Series Condenser Microphones: Musical Instruments

I have an old Yamaha CP-70 that I need to sell. I am looking into getting an 88 key weighted midi controller to replace it. At one time that electric piano was state of the art. Now it is a relic for a collector with a lot of money. Just keep plugging away. It is still all about the song.

Um, what? Lol

Did you post in wrong thread?

No, it was a mild humor thing...If you look at my FB, RN or SC pages they're all titled BroKen (what I go by when I play and do stand up at churches around). :)
Some of my jokes people actually laugh at...

---------- Update ----------

And I'm not 57...yet.

Funny is as funny does.
There's lots of humor in the world. I don't know why you'd exclude churches from having a laugh. Haven't ever told a knock-knock, but good puns, funny anecdotes, cutesy stuff out of the Bible, stuff from real life.
The other day I saw a FedEx truck parked in the middle of a cemetery and the girl was getting out with a package. Now, I'm sure there was a logical explanation, but humor will exaggerate that into the first delivery for the zombie apocalypse, etc.
The funniest part is that a Christian comic usually has to lie to make jokes (because all this stuff doesn't REALLY happen to you) and Christians shouldn't lie. There's an irony there somewhere.

I don't know why you'd exclude churches from having a laugh.

I've been to church. I was raised as a catholic. They might be the unfunniest people ever. I played bass for a while in a church worship band because a good friend of mine was the ringleader and he needed help. Nothing proves how unfunny christians are better than the nervous, canned, scripted "laughter" from a congregation when a preacher makes a really stupid joke that wouldn't be even remotely funny anywhere else in the world. It's like a laugh track. I think maybe the humor is in how unfunny a christian comedy routine must be. Like, it's so bad, it's funny? Maybe you're on to something there. :thumbs up:

" Nothing proves how unfunny christians are better than the nervous, canned, scripted "laughter" from a congregation when a preacher makes a really stupid joke that wouldn't be even remotely funny anywhere else in the world.:thumbs up: "

Agreed, or when he tells the same joke for the 70th time...good grief, get some new material.
But for a standup routine in a church, you just have to be clean and semi-sensitive...
I've known some very funny catholics, but usually not in their church service. (I was raised catholic, also). And there's the point. I don't walk into Sunday morning service and start cracking jokes and playing my songs. It's usually scheduled at a separate time (although I have had a couple of services where it was just me and my computer tracks, but that was also planned that way as well).

I've been to church. I was raised as a catholic.
Humm... I had relatives that attended the Holiness and Apostolic churches around here. Strict on the rules but some of the best guitarist I've met. Those services really rocked but you had to get out before they brought out the snakes!;)

Back