To Hoard or to Clear-Out

Dave Holmes

I've been looking at my set-up and specifically stuff I just never use, for a while now. And after a lunch trip to friends yesterday, while the wives talked babies the lads went into his cellar studio and I retrieved more of my gear that was on loan that he's no longer using...

So now I've got a Korg Volca Keys, a TL-Audio Fat-1 - stereo valve compressor, 2 SuperLux mics (1x cardiod condenser, 1x R102), a korg NanoKontrol2, and a really old (noisy) 8 channel mixer - just sitting, doing jack...

Do you guys keep stuff or just let it go... eBay etc... ?

I keep pretty much everything. I've got extra mics, guitar amps, stands, you name it. I once sold a pre-amp, but only because I was poor at the time and needed to make rent. It's the only time I've ever sold anything. The only other time I ever got rid of gear was when I had a mix contest here on HR, and gave away a few things. Generally, if you don't need the money, I see no reason not to horde. :)

Space and finances are always an issue but I don't honestly think I'd get much for any of it on eBay and I don't need much room for my feet under the desk... ;-)

Space and finances are always an issue but I don't honestly think I'd get much for any of it on eBay and I don't need much room for my feet under the desk... ;-)

I usually buy, use, upgrade, sell.
I really look for bargains so more times than not I can break even on an upgrade, depending what it is.

I had to admit defeat today with some old gear, though. Two mint Tascam DA88s and a few 19" LCD monitors went to the big studio in the sky.

I'm sure you could get enough money out of eBay to make it worthwhile.
I generally go for a Buy It Now and put the price I want. 30 day listing - no auction (no big fees if no sale), no offers...just wait.
Some idiot always buys it! :p If not, you get a free re-list. That's a two month advert for about $2. :)

Be prepared to post. eBay prices plummet if you're not.

The smaller, less expensive stuff - Stick an advert in the forums. :)
The mixer might be handy for headphone/monitoring duties..I don't know.

Anything I can't use, I sell really cheap or just give away to members here. Way better than dealing with that EBAY crap...

lol. Should have put a :p in.

I take it you're familiar with hoarders' law?
As soon as you dump something you'll need it...

I've had those da88s for about two years without the first hint of interest from anyone. :facepalm:
I'll give you the address of the amenity site if you're super keen. ;)

lol. Should have put a :p in.

I take it you're familiar with hoarders' law?
As soon as you dump something you'll need it...

I've had those da88s for about two years without the first hint of interest from anyone. :facepalm:
I'll give you the address of the amenity site if you're super keen. ;)

Ha! Thought you'd got unreasonably 'aggy'!

No worries!

Ha! Thought you'd got unreasonably 'aggy'!

No worries!

Ha! No..Just an expression. Sorry. :)

I make hiphop so it'd work pretty well for dirtying up drums.

Ooh, I'm not sure about that. They're digital tape so there's not really a sound imparted like you'd get with analog.
They don't even have preamps or anything. Just line in-converters-digital tape, and the reverse.

Which end of the UK you in?

N.I. Near Belfast.
Wouldn't have worked anyway. :)

I keep pretty much everything. I've got extra mics, guitar amps, stands, you name it. I once sold a pre-amp, but only because I was poor at the time and needed to make rent. It's the only time I've ever sold anything. The only other time I ever got rid of gear was when I had a mix contest here on HR, and gave away a few things. Generally, if you don't need the money, I see no reason not to horde. :)

:D

Yeah...I too have way more equipment than I need or that I could use for solo recording. Shit, I must have well over 3 dozen mics...I only use a few at a time.
I was kinda thinking of this year doing a small "eBay purge" of some stuff that's really not been used for a long, long time, and for which I have other, better similar pieces....but I still haven't done it. It's like the only time I sell something is when I need to make room for something new. :p
Like I only have so much room for guitar amps...so I can't just keep buying more without selling some to clear the space.

Anyway...one thing...unless you are absolutely sure you will never need it again, you might want to think about it, since it may cost you more to one day replace it.

Yes, as soon as you get rid of something (unless you have a duplicate), you'll want/need it again. He who dies with the most toys wins!

He who dies with the most toys wins!
Exactly.

They say you can't take it with you. But what if you can? What if you get up to the gates of heaven, and they look at you and say "Hey, where's your stuff?". I ain't taking that chance. :eek:

Exactly.

They say you can't take it with you. But what if you can? What if you get up to the gates of heaven, and they look at you and say "Hey, where's your stuff?". I ain't taking that chance. :eek:

LOL.
They're going to need more space when Henry checks out. God forbid...

Ooh, I'm not sure about that. They're digital tape so there's not really a sound imparted like you'd get with analog.
They don't even have preamps or anything. Just line in-converters-digital tape, and the reverse.

N.I. Near Belfast.
Wouldn't have worked anyway. :)

Ah... No worries... Cheers for the heads up!

As it happens, I just got home from dinner at my old dear's house... My wife wasn't showing her happy face when I came out of my mums attic with another box of stuff to take home...
Found a couple dynamic mics and my old Tascam Portastudio (which appears to be in working condition!!). I thought it'd been chucked out over a decade ago!
Gonna try tracking out my drums and then resampling them as soon as I get chance!

LoFi is (possibly) a good thing!

Ah... No worries... Cheers for the heads up!

As it happens, I just got home from dinner at my old dear's house... My wife wasn't showing her happy face when I came out of my mums attic with another box of stuff to take home...
Found a couple dynamic mics and my old Tascam Portastudio (which appears to be in working condition!!). I thought it'd been chucked out over a decade ago!
Gonna try tracking out my drums and then resampling them as soon as I get chance!

LoFi is (possibly) a good thing!

No worries.
That's cool man. :) Have fun.
What kinda mics? Anything nice?

Back