Close The Door by Wildfires

Simman

Here's a mix I did of the song Close The Door from the band Wildfires not yet released debut album; the tracks were posted as part of a mix off. A simple drums, bass and acoustic guitars tune but the drum grove is what carries the song. Really would like your comments and feed back.

View attachment Close The Door_Simman_mix.mp3

Thanks

I focused on the drums... What kind of room were the drums recorded in, and do you have any reverb or reverb-like effects on them? I like the sound.

I focused on the drums... What kind of room were the drums recorded in, and do you have any reverb or reverb-like effects on them? I like the sound.

Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment, it is greatly appreciated. I don't know how big the drum room was that the drums were tracked in. There is a mono room mic that I absolutely crushed with a 112db big blue compressor into an EQ then a sony transmod with the ratio pulled way down to really minimize the attack - makes the room sound very big. The room is pushed up just enough to give the drums a bit of ambiance. There is also a Lexicon PCM series reverb (medium room) on an aux send from the Snare Top & Bottom, toms, and overheads as well.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Thanks,

It is a great drum recording, in my opinion. The cymbals, everything is really clear. They almost sound like they're in the room with you. Nice job.

Drums sound really, really nice. Whatever the room mic was and however much you crushed it had a terrific effect. An occasional tom hit me with too much thump though, a little out of place.

Drums sound really, really nice. Whatever the room mic was and however much you crushed it had a terrific effect. An occasional tom hit me with too much thump though, a little out of place.

Thanks Brian. I think the fact that the guy is a good drummer has a big impact on the overall sound. I do agree with you on the thump on the toms. The floor has some low end moan in it. Will correct on next mix session. Toms could come down just a bit and benefit from some automation too. I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again.

Sounds very nice.

I agree on the drums, although part of the reason they sound so good is probably because they're far forward in the mix.. The kick might be a little loud. But yeah, they sound nice.

Lead vocal sounds good as well. Very clear. So does the bass.

The acoustic rhythm guitars are kind of pushed back in the mix in spots. But not real bad. They sound nice though.

I would have liked some additional backing vocals. But that's just me. I know there was some minor BGV's, but there were other spots where I wished they were there.

All in all, a very good job.

Thanks TripleM I appreciate you listing and providing the feedback. I'm working on an update that pushes the acoustic guitars up a bit. I agree that I wish there was a bit more to the song but that's all there is. Funny thing is the backing vocals got printed with some type of pitch effects on them that I was not diggin at all so I actually added a H3000 w/miropitch pre set which helped fix some of the issue but had to sit them back a little more than I'd like to.

Ok, thanks to everyone for the feedback I greatly appreciate it. Based on the comments and some of the things I wanted to tweak here's take 2 of the mix. Cleaned up the toms, volume automation on toms, and pushed up the acoustic guitar. Also cleaned up some mud in the bass. Any additional comments and recommendations are encouraged.

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• Close The Door (Take 2).mp3
    7.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back