How to use outboard insert gear multiple times in song?

mesaboogie5050

I am new to this. If I compress verse 1 with my compressor, how do I get the compression to stay there? Because I will be changing the settings of the compressor on the chorus, bridge, drums, guitar, etc.

All done with the same outboard compressor.

How do I this? Do I hit record over the same track I'm compressing? Or route to a new track?

Do I need to use the freeze mode in Logic?

You're mixing with outboard back into the DAW -and not dedicated gear-per-track.. Keep the original track - the send source, record the effected vocal as a new track (or section of the track in this case.

Yes...you have freeze/output that track or sections of the track in order to do what you want over and over.

As much as I love outboard/OTB gear....that's a pretty tedious way to do things. Just use a plug compressor. What's so special about the outboard comp that it's the only thing you want/can use...?

..As much as I love outboard/OTB gear....that's a pretty tedious way to do things. Just use a plug compressor. What's so special about the outboard comp that it's the only thing you want/can use...?
ITB here too, but the answer to that -'cause I feel it ;>)
Ya paid for it, mixing', now the stuff's just sitting there.. ;)

ITB here too, but the answer to that -'cause I feel it ;>)
Ya paid for it, mixing', now the stuff's just sitting there.. ;)

:D

Really...that's a common thing.

I have tons of outboard/OTB....and honestly, I never bother trying to insert any of it into the DAW.
When my audio is sent OTB and/or on tape, I use OTB gear....when it's in the DAW, I use ITB plugs. :)

:D

Really...that's a common thing.

I have tons of outboard/OTB....and honestly, I never bother trying to insert any of it into the DAW.
When my audio is sent OTB and/or on tape, I use OTB gear....when it's in the DAW, I use ITB plugs. :)
Yeah but doesn't it seem such a waste sometimes- just sitting there. I look up at the pcm80 and 90 a few nice compressors -that used to be my main tools, and think what am I just lazy now? (yes :p , but fact is the ITB stuff is head sholders better than my mix/record/skills etc so.. Grin it' and get back to 'get real :D

I am new to this. If I compress verse 1 with my compressor, how do I get the compression to stay there? Because I will be changing the settings of the compressor on the chorus, bridge, drums, guitar, etc.

All done with the same outboard compressor.

How do I this? Do I hit record over the same track I'm compressing? Or route to a new track?

Do I need to use the freeze mode in Logic?

Unless it's some sort of multi-thousand-dollar compressor it's not worth the trouble.

But if you must do it just record the result to another track. The freeze mode probably won't help you with this.

I never do ANYthing ITB. ......... ever. My reason? Don't need one.
So, you in one of them what'cha call 'real studios grins
It's been so long I mixed -just on the old funky Mackie, its mostly just 'fond memories I suppose (untill I remember 'full automation on every frikin parameter at clicks of the mouse' vs strips of masking tape next to the faders to capture 'your mix' LOL.. That aside though, ..I would love to sit down and try my chop' at a primo setup sometime ;)

Last edited:
I look up at the pcm80 and 90 a few nice compressors...

Don't let them gather dust....I'll be happy to put them to use for you. :)

I actually still do use my outboard gear. During tracking, I got to tape, so I might use something from the racks then, and/or I like to mix out of the DAW through my console and then I'll use a bunch of the outboard gear...
...but I don't ever insert outboard gear when I'm working ITB.

I've actually been wanting to try this lately. I don't have a stellar compressor by any means, but I do like the way that it sounds. I've been curious about doing the TotalMix dance to make this happen just so I can say that I've done it. But I can't imagine that the extra ADC/DAC round-trip will help with latency (RME's direct monitoring is post-ADC). But who knows, I have a nice interface and maybe it's fast enough that it won't be that troublesome. At very least it'll satisfy a curiosity if nothing else.

I've actually been wanting to try this lately. I don't have a stellar compressor by any means, but I do like the way that it sounds. I've been curious about doing the TotalMix dance to make this happen just so I can say that I've done it. But I can't imagine that the extra ADC/DAC round-trip will help with latency (RME's direct monitoring is post-ADC). But who knows, I have a nice interface and maybe it's fast enough that it won't be that troublesome. At very least it'll satisfy a curiosity if nothing else.
When I was printing the Lexicons for fx, I'd be tweaking the timing of the verbs as the tracks played (monitoring the fx on a mixer blending in with the 2-track playback.
When it was printed' it always added in effect a bit of predealy' to the verb. No big deal. Either went with it or compensated back at the box maybe.
But a hard effect- where it needs to stay in time, in some DAW's there's an auto external compensation you can run, or, record a tic' ahead of the track or some where. Then when you track it back in you'll at least see the gap difference to slide it back into place can work. Unless you're mixing it in parallel, usually a few ms either way is fine.

(Actually I would never try parallel' in this. I'd be surprised anyway if this stuff is that stable.

For those who asked the question of why use an outboard compressor, it is because I am learning all I can about recording and have a very nice tube compressor. I do notice the difference in sound over the plug ins logic comes with.

All you have to do is route the signal out to the compressor and record what comes out of the compressor onto another track. Then mute the uncompressed tracks and mix.

I do it every once in a while, not because I think it's a shame that I have outboard sitting around, but because there are a couple things my PCM80 does that I can't seem to replicate with any of the half million plugins I have.

ITB means in the box .... that's why I never mix ITB ...... ain't got no box!

"I never do ANYthing ITB. ......... ever. My reason? Don't need one."
[best cousin 'Vinnie voice]
"Oh you were serious about that?"

:)
[/voice]

"I never do ANYthing ITB. ......... ever. My reason? Don't need one."
[best cousin 'Vinnie voice]
"Oh you were serious about that?"

:)
[/voice]
well, serious is probably a reach ..... :D
but no, I do all my recording in the analog realm even though it's all going to a digital recorder in the end.
But I don't record to a puter or an all-in-one and I don't have a single plug-in or recording DAW nor any way to use one even if I did.

Back