Recording drums!

the-music-man

Hi there,

I have read several articles on recording drums with 3 mics, i currently have one dynamic mic and one condenser. I am using the dynamic on the kick and i have another condenser on order(same model as i already have so i will have a matched pair) and i will use 2 condensers as 2 overhead mics. I have an audio interface with two xlr/ 1/4 inch inputs so i can only put 2 out of my 3 mics into my interface so what would be the best way of getting my 3 mics into my interface. I assumed the obvious thing to do would to be to buy a mixer, plug the mics into that and then plug the mixer into my interface. Does anybody else have any recomendations on other ways of routing my mics or what mixer to use if i need one?

Thanks

A mixer is one way to do it but you will be stuck with having to pre-mix you third' mic- and getting the tones, mix' allmost everyting right in the resulting two-track mix before (very likely) you even get to hear it in context of the final mix. Not that this can't be done to sound good and all, but you are limiting your options as you build on to your song.
Perhaps for a bit more $$, look at a four (or more?) track interface? More flexible, future proof..

If you have a mac and a mixer with a trs/rca out you can create an aggregate device to connect a basic mixer in to your computer at the same time. this will up you to 4 inputs and that should get you a good sound. Look up the Glynn Johns method. I use it for drums even with a spot mic on each drum.

If you have a mac and a mixer with a trs/rca out you can create an aggregate device to connect a basic mixer in to your computer at the same time. this will up you to 4 inputs and that should get you a good sound. Look up the Glynn Johns method. I use it for drums even with a spot mic on each drum.

Only possible with a Mac.

OP; You should really post more info on your gear, as well as what you are recording with/on/through. Only vague comments that may or may not apply will follow without this info...

If you have a mac and a mixer with a trs/rca out you can create an aggregate device to connect a basic mixer in to your computer at the same time. this will up you to 4 inputs ..

Could you go in to that a bit more? Two inputs + the interface stereo pair?
Thanks

I am running ableton live on a windows laptop, then i have an m audio fast track pro audio interface which is connected to my laptop via usb, but i dont know what mixer to buy? I have been looking at the behringer 1202 mixer, its quite cheap but will it do the job? and behringer ussualy tends to be quite good quality even though its cheap?

and behringer usually tends to be quite good quality even though its cheap?
I hope you're prepared for the onslaught that may follow that statement/question.
Personally, I like their stuff but many don't and have the real life tales of why to match their venom and vitreol.

By the way, if you're prepared to shell out money on a mixer, you might as well buy an interface with 4 or 8 inputs and outputs and scrap the mixer.

With the cost of 8 ch interfaces now a days I would go straight for more inputs, love having tons of channels.

If you're going for just the two overheads and a kick mic, you might find this useful:

listen to just the overheads to start with.
Things to look out for
snare - is it central if you pan the overheads hard L and R? Does the tone sound ok? If not - move the overheads so it's yes in both cases.
does the snare balance well with the cymbals and hi-hat? If there's too much cymbals - probably easiest to move the overheads higher. The reverse is true too.
can you hear some toms in there? Less important than the snare / cymbals balance - as they are probably played much less, but it would be odd to not hear them at all!!
does the kick sound central? this isn't a killer either way - because you've got the kick mic too, but the click from the beater can become distracting if it's too far off middle.

now listen with the kick mic mixed in and see how you're getting on!

beyond that - it's pretty much try a few different positions out with the overheads and stick with what you like.

hope it goes well!

Back