What does the FMR RNC sound best on?

easychair said:
You just aren't funny. :)

WTF, are you the new DJL?

Are you going to hijack all FMR audio related threads to insert your leaned opinion? You think RNC is overhyped. Great. Why don't you just drop that in your sig and save everybody some time.

Don't fuck with the Gerst - between the two of you he's the one whose opinion we'd miss.

whatever dude. I posted a joke and everyone got all bent out of shape.

Then Harvey Gerst decided to post some specs which are worthless so I thought I would post that specs are worthless.

No I'm not going to "hijack" every RNC thread. That would take all day long because its the most discussed piece of gear on this board. Its also the most overhyped piece of gear I've bought. Anyone who is considering purchasing ANYTHING should be exposed to negative opinions of the product if there are any. The same goes for an RNC or a Big Mac.

So, Harvey Gerst says this is the best compressor under $2500 and I disagree. get over it. nobody's going to be "missed" because nobody's going anywhere. jeeze.

its just a fucking product. grow up.

I thought I would list some more quotes from my CP pertaining to this thread:

What does the FMR RNC s... 12-29-2005 20:04 I am reppen ya up fer bein real. Rock on brother

thanks.

What does the FMR RNC s... 12-29-2005 17:20 falken darling, please go away, love nik

this was from noisedude. he leaves me a little note and calls me darling every two or three days. its starting to scare me

What does the FMR RNC s... 12-29-2005 12:03 ...and you, sir, are a giant ****.

...and you, sir, must be an idiot to go and bash people personally because of what they think about a compressor.

What does the FMR RNC s... 12-28-2005 22:25 Well said Falken....

Thank you.

In my wanderings around the net, I came across a board where the legendary gentleman who engineered Tom Petty's albums talked about what he used to compress TP's vocals. It, I believe, was a "Distressor".

When asked by a forum participant as to what settings he used ... and I'm paraphrasing from memory here ... he basically replied, "I twist all the knobs to the right." ... implying that compression was immediate, wicked squashed, and slow released.

Posters couldn't believe it. Such wild compression shouldn't sound good, they challenged.

"Works for me.", was the reply from the master.

... and so it goes ...

I got my RNC from my wife for Xmas last year ... and I use it primarily for vox. For my voice, I have to twist some knobs all the way to the right and some knobs all the way to the left. I almost exclusively use the "Supernice" mode.

... probably very weird settings, but hey ...

"It works for me."

:D

Kev-

FALKEN said:
whatever dude. I posted a joke and everyone got all bent out of shape.

Then Harvey Gerst decided to post some specs which are worthless so I thought I would post that specs are worthless.

So, Harvey Gerst says this is the best compressor under $2500 and I disagree. get over it. nobody's going to be "missed" because nobody's going anywhere. jeeze.

its just a fucking product. grow up.

You totally missed the point of his post. And much of it's content, apparently.

FALKEN said:
Anyone who is considering purchasing ANYTHING should be exposed to negative opinions of the product if there are any. The same goes for an RNC or a Big Mac.

You're still talking about it. Just like DJL, you've got it in your head that you're providing some sort of service to us. We are quite capable of determining on our own what is bullshit and what is not - hearing you opine about how overrated RNC is won't help anybody learn anything about it except that you don't think it should be as popular as it is.

Show us why you are right, or shut up about it.

Supercreep said:
Hmmm.... I wonder who could have given me a useless grey chicklet. :rolleyes:

it wasn't me, if thats what you were thinking. I dont negative rep people. i don't think its right so I don't do it.

Anywayz I don't have to prove anything. go out and buy it for all I care.

FALKEN said:
it wasn't me, if thats what you were thinking. I dont negative rep people. i don't think its right so I don't do it.

Anywayz I don't have to prove anything. go out and buy it for all I care.

...................... :rolleyes:

People's idea of a good transparent compressor

I have used a Distressor for over 10 years now. I like it for vocals. Many a times i won't compress guitars or other instruments on the way in. The reason I like it for vocals is it will hold back even loud vocals. It sounds big and natural. Of course I was slammed for this. They say the Distressor is a very colored unit. It just sounded good to me. I have ordered a RNC. Have been on a cheap compressor buying binge this summer. I am guesing It might sound like my Aphex 651 or compellor. They are transparent. Funny what people call transparent. The distressor sounds big and transparent. While the Aphex sound transparent but smaller. I will see. GT

I have used a Distressor for over 10 years now. I like it for vocals. Many a times i won't compress guitars or other instruments on the way in. The reason I like it for vocals is it will hold back even loud vocals. It sounds big and natural. Of course I was slammed for this. They say the Distressor is a very colored unit. It just sounded good to me. I have ordered a RNC. Have been on a cheap compressor buying binge this summer. I am guesing It might sound like my Aphex 651 or compellor. They are transparent. Funny what people call transparent. The distressor sounds big and transparent. While the Aphex sound transparent but smaller. I will see. GT

You do realise you just revived a 7 year old thread? I am sure they have worked out the suitable compression for themselves with 7 years of trying.

9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Funny this thread should come up.

I purchased three RNC from Harvey's collection about a year or more ago and they are great and have been running strong both for live and recording. :thumbs up:

Your right batman. Yes they have long worked out their problems. I am in the middle of a cheap compressor buying binge. Waiting for the Rnc to come this week. GT

Back