My wife said what?!?!?

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
Hello to all,

Just wanted to share a short and funny true story from a conversation my wife and I had last night...

While I was sitting there mixing a project for a new local band yesterday after they had gone home for the day, my wife came in to have a chat, just 'cause. They were a younger band and had never recorded anywhere but on an iphone in their parents basement. So she asked, "so did they notice or ask about any of the treatment you're always putting up or did you show them any of the gear in the cool rack you made? Were they impressed?" I told her nope, not really. People who don't know what any of the stuff is either won't be impressed by it, or plain just won't even notice it, like treatment if done discreetly.

So while on the topic of the rack, she looked at it up close again and noticed there were holes drilled with maybe 3-4 unused/empty U's still available (so I have a printer there to fill in space and block hanging cables in rear from showing through). She said, "What are you going to do when there's no room left for more stuff ?" I already had a feeling of joy inside when she said that, but I replied "I'll just take the printer out and I can put more stuff". Then she asked, "Yeah but what about after that...once the whole rack is filled ?" The joy inside was just too much to take, but I replied "Oh, that's easy, I start building up another rack".

The end of my happy and encouraging story is that there was no instance of "No wayyyy, you're not spending MORE money on recording stuff" nor was there a question of "Why do you need all that stuff? You don't!". This is coming from a wife (while, wonderful, smart and beautiful) that was originally almost completely non-compliant and non-accepting of the fact that I not only took over the whole basement but it has now entered on the main floor domain. Not only that, but I'm starting to track on the main floor in a larger more open room for acoustics and such.

My moral of the story is that it's is almost as much, if not MORE of an art to slowly gaining your wife's (or partner's) approval and acceptance on not only spending tons of spare time doing recording-related things, but also money and space. Love my wife!

I need a whole other house for my man cave!

Yes, but you're the exception, Henry.
06-18-12-microphones.jpg

You need to learn to keep a straigt face, and whenever they comne into your studio and ask... "Is that new?"...

...denny it with a cool..."Oh no, I've had that for a few years now, you've seen it before.".

I got this down to a science to where I was able to bring an entire new guitar amp into the studio...and not have it noticed. :)

I know the feeing...

Awhile back, I was lookin into monitors and checking prices and reviews.

My wife saw that I'd bookmarked the Adam A7's and just went ahead and ordered em for me. :)

So, of course, I had to push it and brought up the fact that I have an odd number of guitars and that it was throwing my equilibrium off.

:p

she didn't buy it either. :cool:

You need to learn to keep a straigt face, and whenever they comne into your studio and ask... "Is that new?"...

...denny it with a cool..."Oh no, I've had that for a few years now, you've seen it before.".

I got this down to a science to where I was able to bring an entire new guitar amp into the studio...and not have it noticed. :)

Oh trust me, I learned this trick from the master...my dad! Last time I visitied his guitar room, he had these 3 amps. Not more than a couple months later I checked out his guitar room again, only to find 3 new amps and the others were gone! So, like him, at least I trade up or find ways to fund some of it without it obviously interfering with our shared bank account! :)

Miroslav, another one, I've used is, "Oh I've had it for years since before i met you, it was just downstairs all tucked away. I actually don't really use it, just thought it would look cool in the rack."

LOL @ Miroslav leaning on his "old" baby grand that he's "had for ages" with a big grin on his face.......

While the wife tries to work out why she can't see the TV any more. ;)

My ex-wife didn't like ANY of my hobbies. The ones that required a cash were right out. Now my wife actually BUYS gear for me (when we can afford it). She saw me looking at a Steel bodied Dobro so she bought it and surprised me with it.

The distance between dreams.......

I bought a double bass a couple of weeks back. It came last monday. I thought, as a half size one, I could fit it in my musical instrument cupboard. It's huge ! They sent it in a hard case on wheels. I was going to hide it out of the way but I had to go and collect my younger son from school so I left it in the middle of the front room. I forgot that my wife was taking our son to see a dermatologist so I went to the school for nothing and they got back before me ! My son thought it was a giant guitar.
My wife was OK about it though, because we'd talked about it and over a few months I'd bled the money in.....

I have a conversation like. Me "I want to get this xyz 123 model chrome overhead dooverwicky" Wife: "do you need it"? Me "No?? I just want it, don't you understand"?

It's much easier when the studio is not at home, haha, now I just have to stop her reading the emails, OH NO!! :eek:she will see replay notifications to this Arghhhhhhh!!!!

Alan.

My wife bought me a banjo for my birthday. Love that girl. :)

Like Miro, I'll bring something new home and tell her it's been here for a while. I get stuff for work delivered to the house all the time so when I'm expecting a delivery from Sweetwater, I'll tell her it's for work. :D

Back