cymbals AHHH!!!

anyone want to slap me into getting these. I've been looking for cymbals on craigslist for months, and now that I find some I'm dragging my feet:facepalm:

Just spent enough on upgrading to PT10 and a new mic, and of course that's why I'm just freaking out! Just don't know when the next time I'll find a good deal. FUUUUUUUU:drunk:

Ask for better pics. Look at the mouting hole for cracks or keyholing. Look at the edges for tiny cracks. If alls good, buy em.

Ask for better pics. Look at the mouting hole for cracks or keyholing. Look at the edges for tiny cracks. If alls good, buy em.

I just got back from looking at them and am passing on them. There was pretty decent key holing and a start of a crack on the ride and the hats did have some knicks and cuts on the edges. The crashes were in good condition, offered $220 for the crashes, but he passed wanting to sell them all. Guess I'm still on the hunt. :(

I just got back from looking at them and am passing on them. There was pretty decent key holing and a start of a crack on the ride and the hats did have some knicks and cuts on the edges. The crashes were in good condition, offered $220 for the crashes, but he passed wanting to sell them all. Guess I'm still on the hunt. :(

That's the life of buying used cymbals. It's tough.

Hey man. I don't know if you're strictly a Zildjian guy, but you might want to look into some of the Sabian "promo packs". I just picked up this pack the other day at my local drum shop and the cymbals are absolutely great. I'm sure you could find a pack that includes some hihats too.

Sabian Cymbals - Sabian AAX Promo Crash Pack ? FREE items included, Massmusic.netDrum Sets, Drums, and Percussion - Massmusic.net

Well I'm only a zildjian man because that's all I've really had the experience of trying out lol. I'm a guitarist who just picked up playing drums about 2 years ago. The Amir hats are what I'm quite partial to, I just love the "sizzle" you can get from them and have been looking for a deal on them for quite some time. And then a drummer I jam with often has a 22 inch Avedis ride from the early 70s that sounds just amazing. I've never heard a better sounding ride to my ears. He also has a variety of zildjians along with some supernaturals. Crashes are crashes to me though, I like 18 inches just the more full bodied sound but between the brands really don't know the differences, I just know I like the sound of the A 18in crash lol. Which is why for now I'm sticking with finding those. :D

I love the jackasses that want to sell the whole deal. Cracked and key holed cymbals are worthless.

I know right, I may not have a whole lot of experience in the drum world but I'm not completely clueless.

I know right, I may not have a whole lot of experience in the drum world but I'm not completely clueless.

The 2 absolutes of studio cymbals:

1. Nothing sheet metal stamped (this would be your B8, ZXT, ZHT, ZBT shit)
2. No cracks, holes, breaks, keyholes fucked up center holes (due to not using a fucking plastic/rubber protection from the threads on the stands).

I mean if it's worth buying, it's worth buying something that isn't fucking busted up.

I meant what I said quite literally, cracked cymbals are LITERALLY worth nothing in my eyes. No value, no money, nothing.

Zildjians are good, but don't be stuck on them. I mean, you can if you want to, but there's other great options. Paiste and Sabian make bad ass shit too. Those are the big 3 and then there's a dozen or so slightly smaller but high quality cymbal manufacturers. If you see a set of Paiste 2002's in good shape or some Sabian AAX's don't pass them up just because they don't say Zildjian on top. 2002's are fucking bad ass. As for me personally, Zildjians are my least favorite of the big cymbal manufacturers, but I know they're good. Like Guitargodgt said, nothing made of stamped sheet metal, and definitely, without exception, nothing cracked or keyholed.

Zildjians are good, but don't be stuck on them. I mean, you can if you want to, but there's other great options. Paiste and Sabian make bad ass shit too. Those are the big 3 and then there's a dozen or so slightly smaller but high quality cymbal manufacturers. If you see a set of Paiste 2002's in good shape or some Sabian AAX's don't pass them up just because they don't say Zildjian on top. 2002's are fucking bad ass. As for me personally, Zildjians are my least favorite of the big cymbal manufacturers, but I know they're good. Like Guitargodgt said, nothing made of stamped sheet metal, and definitely, without exception, nothing cracked or keyholed.

Yea, I've heard great things about the 2002 line. I'll keep the AAX's and those in mind if I see them, I'll just have to go try them out if I find some. :p

Some Sabians sound pretty freaking amazing. The HH line is awesome, the AAX is very nice too. I can understand someone not agreeing to the AA line or anything below that, but AAX and HH are top quality. I have a Zildjian too, a Rock Crash. I never stick to one brand when it comes to cymbals, it's a lot more fun to mix em up.

The 2 absolutes of studio cymbals:

1. Nothing sheet metal stamped (this would be your B8, ZXT, ZHT, ZBT shit)
2. No cracks, holes, breaks, keyholes fucked up center holes (due to not using a fucking plastic/rubber protection from the threads on the stands).

There's always exceptions, if you waste enough time trying everything. I've had some Meinl 'stamped sheet metal' cymbals, and they were actually fine. These were really old, though, and not the new stuff. The hi-hats were very decent, and a 16" crash sounded surprisingly good. The hats looked just like these;

spezial70.jpeg

I bought cheap B8 stuff for my son, but a 20" ride somehow found its way into my cymbal bag. It just sounded good. For some strange reason, the more expensive 'B8 Pro' just doesn't sound good. At least the ones I've tried. And for some reason, Carmine Appice swears by his B8 splash. It's up to you. One of the top jazz drummers in town uses a crappy set of Zyn cymbals. Somehow he makes them sound like cymbals.

Cracked and keyholed cymbals are pretty worthless, except maybe as a weird effect or if the keyhole is sooooooo small.

I think of all the cheap stamped sheet cymbals, the B8's are probably the best. The rides and larger crash cymbals aren't as awful as the cheap stuff from other brands. I still have a set of B8 Plus 14" hats on the kit at my practice space, and they really don't sound half bad. They pale in comparison to my 2002 Sound Edges, but for cheap cymbals, those B8's aint bad.

Maybe we're different here in Canada, but I absolutely don't know about B8 Plus. The B8 Pro is the B8 with some lathing. Not a lot, but a select amount. And maybe that's why I don't like them. Maybe you should have lathing or don't bother faking a little. But B8 Plus? Don't know those at all.
Cymbals are all personal, so I try everything, buy most, and just flip over what I really detest.

I have a quick question: how can you tell if a cymbal is stamped sheet metal?

The sound, for starters. :D

Sheet cymbals usually have some harsh overtones in the upper range. They sound pretty trashy. I actually like some of them. And some of them aren't fit for anything.

Physically, their appearance is not that different from cast/forged cymbals. Sheet cymbals are usually thinner, lighter, and aren't hammered or hand lathed. You can usually hold one in each hand and feel the difference in weight and just overall solid-ness. A cast/forged cymbal starts as a chunk of alloy and gets pounded and formed into shape. Then it's finished off by hand, or by machine run by a human. The sheet cymbals come off a roll and get stamped out like cookies. If a sheet cymbal is actually lathed, you can usually still tell it's a sheet metal cymbal because the lathing will be evenly spaced and very precise, like a machine did it. The quality cast/forged cymbals are hand hammered and lathed, and you can tell this by the random pattern of hammering and lathing. Some good cymbals are stamped from sheet metal made from a good alloy, but usually the stamped sheet cymbals use a cheap alloy and even cheaper manufacturing. There might not be human hand on a sheet cymbal until someone puts the price tag on it. But there also very high quality cast/forged cymbals that aren't hardly finished at all. Most of the major cymbal makers have a line that isn't lathed. A Paiste RUDE looks like a piece of shit manhole cover, but it surely isn't. You just gotta listen to them and do some research.

The sound, for starters. :D

Sheet cymbals usually have some harsh overtones in the upper range. They sound pretty trashy. I actually like some of them. And some of them aren't fit for anything.

Physically, their appearance is not that different from cast/forged cymbals. Sheet cymbals are usually thinner, lighter, and aren't hammered or hand lathed. You can usually hold one in each hand and feel the difference in weight and just overall solid-ness. A cast/forged cymbal starts as a chunk of alloy and gets pounded and formed into shape. Then it's finished off by hand, or by machine run by a human. The sheet cymbals come off a roll and get stamped out like cookies. If a sheet cymbal is actually lathed, you can usually still tell it's a sheet metal cymbal because the lathing will be evenly spaced and very precise, like a machine did it. The quality cast/forged cymbals are hand hammered and lathed, and you can tell this by the random pattern of hammering and lathing. Some good cymbals are stamped from sheet metal made from a good alloy, but usually the stamped sheet cymbals use a cheap alloy and even cheaper manufacturing. There might not be human hand on a sheet cymbal until someone puts the price tag on it. But there also very high quality cast/forged cymbals that aren't hardly finished at all. Most of the major cymbal makers have a line that isn't lathed. A Paiste RUDE looks like a piece of shit manhole cover, but it surely isn't. You just gotta listen to them and do some research.

I see now. Thanks dude.

Yeah rudes are fucking ugly as hell, but they sound great.

I like Ziljians, to each thier own I guess but some of the K and A custom stuff sounds great.

I used to own a pair of K custom session hats that had a really nice sound to them.

Back