Best VST Drums???

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

I am using Sonar X1 as my DAW. In your opinion, what is the best and most diverse VST drum track creator out there?

Thanks,

ROK

Hi All,

I am using Sonar X1 as my DAW. In your opinion, what is the best and most diverse VST drum track creator out there?

Thanks,

ROK

First - my congratulations to choosing SONAR X1. THis is also my main DAW and I think it runs Cubase, Reason and a few others competely over.
Second - the best drum creator is a drummer who PLAYS the tracks, whether that is through a vst sampler or a rigged acoustic set. Programming drums or just putting in the bundled MIDI-files is pointless if you need it to groove.

The best samplers/sound banks/drum software though - in my opinion - would be Superior Drummer and it extensions, Ocean Way drums (Sonic Reality), and probably Mixosaurus (monster that only comes preinstalled on a fat HD). Heard a lot abut Steven Slated drums also (SSD) so they may be worth looking into.

Thanks, I'm now working with Battery 3 from Native Instruments and I'm loving it.

According to me the best VST drums are Drumatic 3. It is a virtual-analog drum synthesizer. All sounds are 100% synthetic and allow an enormous flexibility and variation. Its have Handclap and 2 Toms.

So everyone has a different answer. It sounds to me like those drum plugins are all good quality. What about E-Z drummer, anyone use or like that?

I also use battery 3 and find it works very well. I do like the East West sounds but find the play engine to be a little limiting. If you want to go old school I must say I go back to my Roland 5080 w/the drum SRX board a lot when creating tracks. I use many different kinds of kits for the music I do for theatre production and the Roland box gives my many choices. I don't want to start a DAW War but I used Cubase from 1994-2008 and then moved to Sonar and I also found Sonar to work better for ME than Cubase. Sonar works very well with Windows OS. That all said I moved to Logic with a Mac Pro and my work flow is now much faster. Logic is a very powerful DAW and for ME I like better than anything else I have used including Pro Tools. I do still have my Sonar 8.5 system running because of some ongoing designs I have started

So everyone has a different answer. It sounds to me like those drum plugins are all good quality. What about E-Z drummer, anyone use or like that?

yes, EZDrummer is too good n too realastic cuz it has a function called 'humanizer'.....it has 3toms in its basic kit.....if u extend it to DFH (drumkit from hell) which is mainly for metal....u'll get 5 toms n lots of crashes, rides, cymbals etc...it also has 5 different types of kits like death, metal, thrash etc.. :)

Addictive Drums is also good but i mostly use EZDrummer on my FL Studio 9 :)

The only EZ drummer library I really care for is the Nashville one.

Personally right now if I were you I would snatch up Addictive Drummer from Musicians Friend. Far more natural sounding drums than EZ drummer, not nearly as pre mixed.

I know of some REALLY GOOD free ones. Try Drumcore 3 Free, and MyDrumsetRocks by Bluenoise Audio. Very very very good stuff.

I've used Groove Agent for about 7 years now and have been very happy with it. Any opinions on their Groove Agent 3? I just received it and plan on installing it this week. Since I finally upgraded from Cubase SL2 to Cubase 6, I figured I'd do the drums also; both Steinberg and all... Over time, I've become very comfortable with the interface of GA1 and from the video's I've seen, I like the similar look of GA3. I do have to admit though that the others mentioned, particularly Addictive Drummer & EZDrummer, look pretty good also.

Going from SL2 to 6 is going to be quite the change. They kept the majority of cubase the same, but now you have instrument tracks and other goodies. Oh and the I/O setup is A LOT different from SL2.

Good luck with it.

As for groove agent, I only have the free version that came with 5 and it's alright but gets really inhuman sounding fast. Especially with the cymbals.

Yeah, I'm getting ready to install 6 now and know there'll be a steep learning curve. As for Groove Agent, I know what you mean about GA1. But then I do LOTS of editing directly in MIDI so rarely ever use the canned routines. Lots of processing necessary too; I'm hoping that GA3 will be a significant improvement from GA1. We'll see.

Thanks...

My nag about EZdrummer is that it is so obvious when someone uses it. Not that it doesn't work well or sound good but it leaves much to be desired for versatility. I personally hate the DFH expansion for EZdrummer. Someone said earlier that Nashville is the best kit and I agree. It's actually better for metal than DFH which is intended for metal. I currently use Addictive Drums and find it to be quite light and versatile. It doesn't have the best sample set in the word but the built in mixer, effects and envelope shaping capabilities more than make up for it.

so u guys found any other plugin better than EZ?? ...
forgetting a free plugin just name one which is the best....

I only have Addictive Drums & EZ with all expansions...(i dint count free ones)

First - my congratulations to choosing SONAR X1. THis is also my main DAW and I think it runs Cubase, Reason and a few others competely over.
Second - the best drum creator is a drummer who PLAYS the tracks, whether that is through a vst sampler or a rigged acoustic set. Programming drums or just putting in the bundled MIDI-files is pointless if you need it to groove.

The best samplers/sound banks/drum software though - in my opinion - would be Superior Drummer and it extensions, Ocean Way drums (Sonic Reality), and probably Mixosaurus (monster that only comes preinstalled on a fat HD). Heard a lot abut Steven Slated drums also (SSD) so they may be worth looking into.

+1

Programmed drums have their place, and can be good for demos of tracks as you can put them together quickly, but if you are looking to release a track then to really get the groove and feel, then you need a real drummer.
Your best bet would be to use an online session drummer if you're looking to release tracks.

<plug>
incidentally, I do exactly that. recording drum tracks for people, and delivering them over the internet. ;-) danpowelldrums.co.uk
</plug>

but in all seriousness, online drummers are totally worth it, for the energy and groove a real drummer can bring to a song over and above midi drums. What's more a good virtual drum kit such as superior drummer will happily set you back several hundred dollars, whereas an online drummer such as myself charges around £60/$100 per track.

Superior drummer 2.0 is by far the best vsti I have encountered. And I have used addictive drums, steven slate drums, and ez drummer. In my opinion, ez drummer if you are on a budget and superior drummer 2.0 if you aren't. Superior drummer has actually made it on albums, perirphery and animals as leaders for example.

Back