Time to listen?????

R

RAMI

Hey, is there any general consensus on WHEN our ears are more alert?

Is first thing in the morning good because your ears are rested, or is it the other way around, because they haven't woken up yet?

I noticed mixes can sound different to me depending on the time of day, how I feel, what mood I'm in, how tired I am, etc...

I've even notices that songs can sometimes sound too fast or too slow depending on when and how alert I am when I listen.

Am I a weirdo?

I'd say definitely not when tired.

I generally enjoy it in the late morning. When I get home from work, I'm too tired, and I rush it. Ears are probably fatigued, as well, from listening to music during the day.

I don't know you well enough to say if you're a weirdo, but being a weirdo isn't bad. :)

I generally enjoy it in the late morning.

The only thing I like to do in the morning is have coffee and sit *quietly*undisturbed until I fully wake up. I'm so not a "morning person". Morning for me is like 11...on days when I don't have to go to work.

Anyway...I do most of my main recording/tracking when on my free days when I can sleep late, so I usually don't hit the studio until the late afternoon, sometimes evening...and then I'll work until about midnight...sometimes 2-3AM.
By the afternoon my ears have "adjusted" (I don't even turn on the TV/radio when I first get up, like some people like to do).

But yeah...if you are real tired, have a cold, or just in a dumpy mood...your hearing tends not to be as focused.

well it's the old Catch-22. If you know you're a weirdo, you're not.

Personally, I think I'm normal.

D'OH!

:eek:

There's a Hindu or Buddhist saying I've heard that goes something like this:

"There is a pleasure in being mad that only the madman knows."

;)

There's a Hindu or Buddhist saying I've heard that goes something like this:

"There is a pleasure in being mad that only the madman knows."

;)
I like it!

I might have to use that in a song. :)

I take good care of my ears. I try to anyway. I'm truly the only musician type I know personally that doesn't have constant ringing in his ears. The guys in my band are deaf as fuck. I can still hear the ridiculous frequencies that only kids are supposed to hear. Yay me.

Anyway, I don't think my hearing is any different depending on the time of day. What affects my perceived hearing is familiarity and exposure. Sometimes I'll work on a mix for too long and start to miss things. Then I'll get away from it for a few days and go back and hear all kinds of stuff that got by me before.

IWhat affects my perceived hearing is familiarity and exposure. Sometimes I'll work on a mix for too long and start to miss things.
Yeah, you probably have the beast ears and critical listening ability here.

I think my ears are pretty good. Not great, but pretty good.

But my biggest enemy is "losing perspective". If I'm working on something long enough, I can litterally go from thinking the drums are WAYYY too loud, to WAYYY too low within a few bars. I can focus on the bass and say "How can you not hear that. It's in your face". By the next verse, I'm doubting myself totally.

I think I just get too far into the forest too see any trees. ( I hate that expression, but I can't come up with another one).

But that's a different thing from how things sound based on how tired I am, or if I just woke up, etc....

I don't know why it doesn't sound right.

Well...I guess it's just that we obviously know ourselves *personally*...I mean, it's not something one wouldn't know. :D
I'll make an exception for kcearl...he's still getting to know himself! :laughings:

It just sounded funny.
I do the same thing...say something like, "For me, personally..." and then realize that it's always going to be "personally" when it's about ME. :)

I don't know about that, but thanks anyway. :)

Wasn't blowing smoke up your ass. I mean it.

What I should have said was, "Of the people that frequent the MP3 Clinic and give opinions, I trust your ears and opinion more than anyone else".

I'd love to have more Massive Masters, Ethans, Southsides and Miroslovs in there.

But then, all we'd have is these 52 page arguments about the average volume of every mix. :D :D :D

Back