Music Theory for Songwriting

Theory gives you OPTIONS. creativity or ear dictates which option you think "goes" best...

Rant on... (I cant help it... call it my passion to create a post, LMAO)

QUOTE:" Bare in mind, with was a punk band, we weren't some crazy prog group that gave you a headache to follow along. "

I'm not "picking" on the person that I quoted, its just a typical irritation to me, concerning this (frequent) argument... i could have picked any of 10 different statements, this one just was the one I grabbed.

I dont see where the headache comes from. Back in the 80s, I dont remember "Asia" mailing me study guides and requiring me to pass a theory test at the music counter to buy their debut cassette. Even though they were all members of highly progressive influential groups before making the supergroup Asia...I just rememeber a thrilling "soundtrack" background to some of the songs that fit the mood...we all hear heavy classical all the time... in big budget movies. The movies dont give us a headache. The usher does not demand the key of the second movement of the chase scene to allow you to buy popcorn.

Movie soundtracks inject: humor, drama, surprise, foreshadowing, suspense, anger, excitement, romantic love... into other wise rather lifeless images and dialog, and much of it is symphonic.

Potheads have been listening (really listening, mannnnnn) to Pink Floyd The Wall for what? Decades now? No test nor theory required. Just fire up a bong and enjoy.

No, the only "headache" comes when a musician attempts to re-create these types of music by just writing what "they feel" paying no heed to music theory whatsoever... these types of music are difficult to even COVER perfectly without training, let alone try to create original examples that are in the same league...

The great unwashed masses have enjoyed Beethovens 5th and Toccata and Fugue in D min for a VERY long time... they are stirring and mysterious! They have a certain majesty to them... no one expected them to learn anything about it. Its ART, you just go to the museum and look paintings and sculptures. This art, you just hear it in movies and in some types of music to a greater or lesser degree.

This argument people present, the "headache to follow along" argument... its ridiculous. What, i ask you, is required of you to to enjoy Michaelangelo's David or the Mona Lisa?

Nothing! You just go and LOOK, for chrissakes.

Dont get me wrong, I'm no pretentious highbrow asshole, either. I might not be into the Ramones, but, I DID like the Misfits... which was the heavy metal equivament of the same thing.

On this theory of simply "feeling it" and that actively learning theory not only does nothign "for" creating music, but also detracts FROM it... ayone that really wanted to, could simply pick up a hammer and a chisel, and make something similar to Michaelangelo's David.

After all... Michaelangelo himself said... "I did not create David... He was in the piece of marble. I selected the piece of marble that had him inside. I simply took away the pieces of marble that were encasing him."

Which is awfully similar to a musician claiming you just "play from the heart" and "let it come out" and "tell the truth".

When someone has mastered something, you are expected to be humble about it, you are not expected to BRAG how good you are. It is incumbent upon the master to display "self deprecation" and not lord his skill over the peopel enjoyign his creation(s).

You can shave a chimpanzee, and teach them sign language... then even the CHIMP could explain that there is a difference between listening to a punk song "NAH NAH...nah nah... NAH nah NAHHHHHH" and listening to Pink FLoyd The Wall, or the soundtrack to 2001 space odyssey, or even Star Wars.

No, the only HEADACHE comes with the frustration of realizing it is simply not possible without studying the techniques... so that you can stand on the shoulders of the GIANTS that came before us...

No one requires the aspiring musician who has mastered the 3 chord format and power chords to attend graduate conservancy in Europe. Yet... listen to a bunch of classical music, and find a part you like. That stirs some emotions, and makes the hairs on the nape of your neck stand up... go and rip off the chord progression(s) there... and use that as a "template" to some power chord jamming...

... and someone will say "Huh... I dont normally like that type of music... but, that was kind of neat. It was interesting. Huh. Something neat about it."

What have you done then? TECH-nically... you "studied classical music". briefly.

Look... you can wait till you "feel emotions" and use those "emotions" to shoot various color paintballs at a canvas. SOMEone will buy it, and a group of rich nincompoops may even write puff pieces about it, and have a wine and cheese party at the gallery to display your "genius"...

...but, your not getting that snail snot into the LOUVRE to be enjoyed centuries later.

:spank:

your creations need not even be terribly complex. WItness the chiseled naked decadence of "Fur Elise". My god, its in the "red book" six year olds learn to play beginning piano from! And its RIGHT up there with Beethoven's 5th.

If my stuff I make is slightly (or a lot) sterile or boring... I figure its because I have been doing this for several years, not a couple decades. GOD, I do wish i had played piano and guitar during my formative young period. So I could hear intervals clearly and play by ear after I hear something. I started from ground zero, having never played a pitched instrumment in my life.

theory was all there WAS that could get me started.

Those intervals you learned to hear on the radio, and the vocal melodies you learned to play on your acoustic... I fail to see how the interval is different when you hear the pitch distance by ear, or if you SEE the pitch distance on a computer screen... either way, you HEAR it when you play it, or the computer plays it.

Theory gives you OPTIONS. creativity or ear dictates which option you think "goes" best...

QUOTE:" Bare in mind, with was a punk band, we weren't some crazy prog group that gave you a headache to follow along. "

I'm not "picking" on the person that I quoted, its just a typical irritation to me, concerning this (frequent) argument... i could have picked any of 10 different statements, this one just was the one I grabbed.

I dont see where the headache comes from. Back in the 80s, I dont remember "Asia" mailing me study guides and requiring me to pass a theory test at the music counter to buy their debut cassette. Even though they were all members of highly progressive influential groups before making the supergroup Asia...I just rememeber a thrilling "soundtrack" background to some of the songs that fit the mood...we all hear heavy classical all the time... in big budget movies. The movies dont give us a headache. The usher does not demand the key of the second movement of the chase scene to allow you to buy popcorn.

Movie soundtracks inject: humor, drama, surprise, foreshadowing, suspense, anger, excitement, romantic love... into other wise rather lifeless images and dialog, and much of it is symphonic.

Potheads have been listening (really listening, mannnnnn) to Pink Floyd The Wall for what? Decades now? No test nor theory required. Just fire up a bong and enjoy.

No, the only "headache" comes when a musician attempts to re-create these types of music by just writing what "they feel" paying no heed to music theory whatsoever... these types of music are difficult to even COVER perfectly without training, let alone try to create original examples that are in the same league...

The great unwashed masses have enjoyed Beethovens 5th and Toccata and Fugue in D min for a VERY long time... they are stirring and mysterious! They have a certain majesty to them... no one expected them to learn anything about it. Its ART, you just go to the museum and look paintings and sculptures. This art, you just hear it in movies and in some types of music to a greater or lesser degree.

This argument people present, the "headache to follow along" argument... its ridiculous. What, i ask you, is required of you to to enjoy Michaelangelo's David or the Mona Lisa?

Dont get me wrong, I'm no pretentious highbrow asshole, either. I might not be into the Ramones, but, I DID like the Misfits... which was the heavy metal equivament of the same thing.

On this theory of simply "feeling it" and that actively learning theory not only does nothign "for" creating music, but also detracts FROM it... ayone that really wanted to, could simply pick up a hammer and a chisel, and make something similar to Michaelangelo's David.

After all... Michaelangelo himself said... "I did not create David... He was in the piece of marble. I selected the piece of marble that had him inside. I simply took away the pieces of marble that were encasing him."

Which is awfully similar to a musician claiming you just "play from the heart" and "let it come out" and "tell the truth".

When someone has mastered something, you are expected to be humble about it, you are not expected to BRAG how good you are. It is incumbent upon the master to display "self deprecation" and not lord his skill over the peopel enjoyign his creation(s).

You can shave a chimpanzee, and teach them sign language... then even the CHIMP could explain that there is a difference between listening to a punk song "NAH NAH...nah nah... NAH nah NAHHHHHH" and listening to Pink FLoyd The Wall, or the soundtrack to 2001 space odyssey, or even Star Wars.

No, the only HEADACHE comes with the frustration of realizing it is simply not possible without studying the techniques... so that you can stand on the shoulders of the GIANTS that came before us...

No one requires the aspiring musician who has mastered the 3 chord format and power chords to attend graduate conservancy in Europe. Yet... listen to a bunch of classical music, and find a part you like. That stirs some emotions, and makes the hairs on the nape of your neck stand up... go and rip off the chord progression(s) there... and use that as a "template" to some power chord jamming...

... and someone will say "Huh... I dont normally like that type of music... but, that was kind of neat. It was interesting. Huh. Something neat about it."

What have you done then? TECH-nically... you "studied classical music". briefly.

Look... you can wait till you "feel emotions" and use those "emotions" to shoot various color paintballs at a canvas. SOMEone will buy it, and a group of rich nincompoops may even write puff pieces about it, and have a wine and cheese party at the gallery to display your "genius"...

...but, your not getting that snail snot into the LOUVRE to be enjoyed centuries later.

your creations need not even be terribly complex. WItness the chiseled naked decadence of "Fur Elise". My god, its in the "red book" six year olds learn to play beginning piano from! And its RIGHT up there with Beethoven's 5th.

If my stuff I make is slightly (or a lot) sterile or boring... I figure its because I have been doing this for several years, not a couple decades. GOD, I do wish i had played piano and guitar during my formative young period. So I could hear intervals clearly and play by ear after I hear something. I started from ground zero, having never played a pitched instrumment in my life.

Those intervals you learned to hear on the radio, and the vocal melodies you learned to play on your acoustic... I fail to see how the interval is different when you hear the pitch distance by ear, or if you SEE the pitch distance on a computer screen... either way, you HEAR it when you play it, or the computer plays it.

Yes!

ok i was hoping at least someone would back theory :)

I tend to agree with this view point (no offense to anyone else here) because in my experience the theory players are typically better and more well rounded.

by that i mean they can play in any musical genre and meld several at once while still incorporating charteristics and subtlies of each individual influence.

i don't want to write the same songs over and over again just in different keys.

i want to understand why a chord progression sounds the way it does and then transfer that knowledge into any key, genre, or situation.

like you've said there are standards and practices that can yield reliable results common in emotional movie ques.

i'd like to incorporate classical music dictoms into my music ala Muse but damned if he wasn't a classically trained pianist from the age of 6.

i dare any one here to write on that level without the help of theory :p

If your impatient skip to around the 3:00 mark and watch the piano and guitar solos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDsLKEado_o&ob=av2e

tl/dr

summary please

You didn't get my meaning. This was to illustrate that I wasn't intentionally trying to write complex material to challenge the listener, bending and breaking the rules to achieve my goal. I was in a punk band that played four chords in a song and I did things that sounded natural and pleasing to me. I wasn't changing keys and throwing in relative minors just for the sake of doing it - I didn't even know what that all was at the time. So my point was that theory takes a back seat to what sounds good to your ear.

You didn't get my meaning. This was to illustrate that I wasn't intentionally trying to write complex material to challenge the listener, bending and breaking the rules to achieve my goal. I was in a punk band that played four chords in a song and I did things that sounded natural and pleasing to me. I wasn't changing keys and throwing in relative minors just for the sake of doing it - I didn't even know what that all was at the time. So my point was that theory takes a back seat to what sounds good to your ear.

this is prolly a better choice for certain types of music like punk, trash, blues, and straight up rock n' roll.

it doesn't take any amount of theory to hear and play 1 4 5 or any variation thereof.

i think the theory stuff comes into play more when your attempting more complex chord changes and melodies.

this is prolly a better choice for certain types of music like punk, trash, blues, and straight up rock n' roll.

it doesn't take any amount of theory to hear and play 1 4 5 or any variation thereof.

i think the theory stuff comes into play more when your attempting more complex chord changes and melodies.

Still not my point. My point is DO WHAT SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU. DON'T LEARN RULES JUST SO YOU CAN ADHERE TO THEM. Learn theory so you can understand what it is you are doing and what rules you are breaking.

P.S. This is my band I was talking about and one of the songs I wrote not knowing any theory at all: Dogmatic - Tell Me Stories

Still not my point. My point is DO WHAT SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU. DON'T LEARN RULES JUST SO YOU CAN ADHERE TO THEM. Learn theory so you can understand what it is you are doing and what rules you are breaking.

P.S. This is my band I was talking about and one of the songs I wrote not knowing any theory at all: Dogmatic - Tell Me Stories

cool song man.

i agree with you i def think people should write whatever sounds good to them.

personally i don't always have a particular riff/lick/progression/melody/chord change in mind when i'm working on a piece music, especially if i didn't write the initial ideas.

so theory (when i get it right) kinda helps me bridge the gaps in finding the right notes or chord progressions that go with what is already there.

Greg le Bloodyshit is kinda correct though...

I had absolutwly no background in pitched instruments, and had to approach the whole "thing" from self taught theory...

and after several years, I am getting somewhere... but if you wanna call it "sterile" and "boring".. well, *thats fair*, and thats ME saying it about MY stuff.

Heck, it was only a few years ago, people still made "the face" for me. YOU know the face, we all saw the face when we FIRST picked upa pitched instrument or tried to compose...

Heck, "sterile" is a nice place to BE after coming up thru that,LMAO. SOmetimes in one of my 6-7 minute classical exercises i make, they can point out a 15 second stretch and declare "that... right THERE... thats actually interesting... i was surprised!"

then periodically, i go back and see what (if anything) i can apply to my "pop" attempts. but i cant play ANY pitched instruments in person. I am just teachign myself to compose. but, i dont think theory is "limiting" me in any way... hell, the exact opposite... it ALLOWED me to start composing music, and thru bits of theory I pick up here and there, to see "the face" less and less.

(I greatly prefer the term "sterile" to "boring, I will say that... LMAO)

my "ear" to program in the notes of a song I just heard, is coming along slowly. To hear interval between pitch and chord changes... I suppose I should have HAD that already built in when I began this, if I had already played piano and guitar like i am supposed to.

*shrugs*

yet I know this... if I make the same song a hunred times over, in 17 different keys... when I finally hit upon a gem... the "new listener" wont know about my 99 failures up to that point, LMAO, nor will i care.

Theory is a map – how much you know equates with how detailed your map is. Themdla your right it is important to understand why a progression works (the path) and where it could go next. The problem with a too detailed map (great theory knowledge) is that it has a tendency to keep you on the path. I think what DogVox and other are also suggesting is that there is always great material in the unexplored regions off the path and also we can make our own paths like SEDstar suggests. Sorry if I have misrepresented anyone with my analogy.
This is not really a question about theory this is about how the artist chooses to approach creativity. A map etched out by previous travels is very useful but getting lost and finding your own way can also be fruitful.
It all about how you want to travel.
Returning to some of your original questions – when it comes to learning nothing beats a good teacher a group of fellow learner of roughly the same skill level.
I would check around your area and see if there are any adult learning courses available or a teacher - university music student might be happy to do it for a few bucks. If nothing is running, advertise in local classifieds/com boards for other people who might also want to learn and how much they’d pay – then advertise for a teacher for private lessons!
If you want to part with some cash then Berklee School of Music run courses as do many others. I think the trick is to learn with others and a real project with a deadline – but that is maybe just me.
HTH
Burt

If you want to learn chord theory pretty much every jazz guitarist, bass player or whatever I know has studied Antonio Carlos Jobim's music.

Classic tunes of his like Desifinado or Corcovado... if you work up the chords in them and listen to some of Stan Getz's solos over them... that says more about what works and chords than most people need in a lifetime.

Greg le Bloodyshit is kinda correct though...

I had absolutwly no background in pitched instruments, and had to approach the whole "thing" from self taught theory...

and after several years, I am getting somewhere... but if you wanna call it "sterile" and "boring".. well, *thats fair*, and thats ME saying it about MY stuff.

Heck, it was only a few years ago, people still made "the face" for me. YOU know the face, we all saw the face when we FIRST picked upa pitched instrument or tried to compose...

Heck, "sterile" is a nice place to BE after coming up thru that,LMAO. SOmetimes in one of my 6-7 minute classical exercises i make, they can point out a 15 second stretch and declare "that... right THERE... thats actually interesting... i was surprised!"

then periodically, i go back and see what (if anything) i can apply to my "pop" attempts. but i cant play ANY pitched instruments in person. I am just teachign myself to compose. but, i dont think theory is "limiting" me in any way... hell, the exact opposite... it ALLOWED me to start composing music, and thru bits of theory I pick up here and there, to see "the face" less and less.

(I greatly prefer the term "sterile" to "boring, I will say that... LMAO)

my "ear" to program in the notes of a song I just heard, is coming along slowly. To hear interval between pitch and chord changes... I suppose I should have HAD that already built in when I began this, if I had already played piano and guitar like i am supposed to.

*shrugs*

yet I know this... if I make the same song a hunred times over, in 17 different keys... when I finally hit upon a gem... the "new listener" wont know about my 99 failures up to that point, LMAO, nor will i care.

As a theory guy and a guy who makes a lot of recordings one word of caution :)

Nothing can replace a good performance.

I’ve heard song ideas that could have been really good but the performance was lacking and the ideas were lost on the listener.

It’s about congruency in a way....

if you see a guy playing a punk rock or thrash type riff but he's got a really clean guitar sound, he's playing softly, and he's behind the beat a bit, not congruent with the "vibe".

take that same riff and add aggression, excitement, dirty guitar sound, and the right performance, sounds like a totally different riff.

the past few years i've been focusing a lot more on my performance and technique, not so much on songwriting unfortunately.

as a result, i can technically play most stuff but can write it, time to change my focus.

but woodsheding is as important as writing in my book because if you can't perform it the right way you miss edifying the writing.

Q: How do you get a musician to play quietly?

A: Put sheet music in front of them.

I know a modest amount of theory, and its boring as heck!
It has its place and time, but for writing lyrics and such the true catalyst is the world around you. NO AMOUNT OF THEORY can trump inspiration and experience, no matter what any of your educated buddies tells you

Theory is a nice weapon to have in your arsenal, but just because you'd know it doesn't mean you'd be able to write amazing songs. It's merely a piece to the puzzle (talent+lyrical ability+chord knowledge+etc.).

I personally have a basic knowledge of theory (I don't get into the crazy stuff like other clefs and modes and crap). I know it sounds silly, but I just read up as much as I could and kept my eyes open and learned a lot. I also checked out "Idiot's Guide to Music Theory," and that helped too.

I know plenty of theory and it never factors into my songwriting beyond harmonies and working out certain points of guitar solos.

post jack

so i posted this in another forum but i think it's worth repeating here...

"i think if you guys analyzed your playing note for note you'd find that 95% of the notes/melodies/chords your playing are in a key.

i've seen some insane guitar players do chromatic licks all over the place to good effect.

when i've asked these guys how they did that stuff most said that it's about landing on the notes in the key at specific times while surrounding those "choice" or in key notes with chromatics.

again YMMV and whatever sounds good to your ear should not be discounted because theory told you otherwise.

but i still maintain that what sounds "good" 95% of the time are notes from the key your in."

additionally...

"see i started out on trumpet around age 8 and learned to read music from the begining. at that age i didn't understand any music theory and over the years have lost the ability to sight read.

at 13 i started playing guitar and haven't played in a classical context since.

now at 27 having written many songs of varing goodness i'm returning to theory hopefully to expand my horizions and get out of any ruts.

ultimately i'd like to be able to sit down with anyone, anytime, anywhere and lay down some tasty jams or song write in whatever genre, classical, jazz, rock, pop, whatever...

my ear is good, i think. i can find the right notes without resorting to a scale pattern but i'll be damned if by the time i figure out the "good" notes if i don't see a scale pattern i know.

i have always written by ear until i run into a road block, then i try to bust out some theory. sometimes it works great and other times not so much.

personally i think the "not so much" is more an effect of my lack of understanding how theory works in songwriting or how it is commonly used.

i think as long as you have a good balance of both you can't go wrong. :)"

I know a modest amount of theory, and its boring as heck!
It has its place and time, but for writing lyrics and such the true catalyst is the world around you. NO AMOUNT OF THEORY can trump inspiration and experience, no matter what any of your educated buddies tells you

my "buddies" haven't told me anything....

i speak only from extensive, direct experience.

from that experience i contend that the theory guys i have known are typically better players, more comfortable in a variety of musically situations, and often better songwriters.

i speak only from extensive, direct experience.

from that experience i contend that the theory guys i have known are typically better players, more comfortable in a variety of musically situations, and often better songwriters.
That's interesting, I've found it works either way. But I can categorically say that knowledge of theory is not a key to understanding different genres. All the theory in the universe ain't going to give you a feel for reggae or those 16 beat cycles in Indian music that seem to have no beginning or end {!} or South African township funk or avant garde jazz etc, etc. That said, with the feel for different genres {musical situations}, sometimes theory can be brought to bear in a most useful way. Weather permitting.

Any theory you learn, experience or unconsciously stumble upon will work in the background of your brain while you're writing.
After all: hearing, understanding & storing in your scone the fact that two notes sound good played over each other is theory you apply consciously & unconsciously.
I know about 12 chords for guitar, have a reasonable grasp of the benefits of the pentatonic scale and learnt bass (my 1st instrument) by playing the root note of what everyone else was playing, advanced to playing the octave of that note & then fumbled around finding various degrees of grace notes until I could move away from the root. I don't play bass well but I do, usually have an idea of what I'm doing and when a note causes resolution or tension, (ah, you've discovered I have some of the vocabulary required to try to disguise a bum note), even though I'm a little cloth eared.
Doing those things and listening to heaps of musical styles, genre, subsects and LOTS of rock along with playing in a few bands and having a guitar in my hands as often as possible means that I have some understanding of structure, harmony and such.
I don't know many chords so I invents some - now that takes no real skill does it - but it it based on acquired understanding which is applied to a task. that's theory be it established or otherwise. Now, being that there is nothing new in my philosophy it's very, very likely that said learnt theory belongs in the pantheon of established musical knowledge ie: theory.

Back