I am a sucky guitarist because:

What makes you such a blowy guitarist?

• I don't know enough theory

Votes: 37 33.3%
  • My picking hand feels like a brick

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • My fretting hand is glacially slow

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • I blame my equipment (piece of shit guitar, amp says "Crate" on it, etc.)

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I sound like crap unless I use a boatload of effects

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Er...because I'm a drummer?

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • I'm refuse to play anything but "Smoke On The Water" on my Fender So-Cal

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • My name is acidrock

Votes: 11 9.9%

• Total voters
I'm dyslexic, and somewhat of a perfectionist, I overthink myself .... I'm constantly thinking I must have more elaborate solos... people tell me I'm very good, while I'm thinking I just didn't perform... I'm my worst enemy, very hard on myself about that... then I go and see some band and say to myself," holy crap I can do better than that!" I'm totaly self taught, plus my fav guitarists are like Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, larry Coryell, Lee Ritenour.... no wonder I feel inadequate.

I'm dyslexic, and somewhat of a perfectionist, I overthink myself .... I'm constantly thinking I must have more elaborate solos... people tell me I'm very good, while I'm thinking I just didn't perform... I'm my worst enemy, very hard on myself about that... then I go and see some band and say to myself," holy crap I can do better than that!" I'm totaly self taught, plus my fav guitarists are like Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, larry Coryell, Lee Ritenour.... no wonder I feel inadequate.

OK, from now on, your favorite guitarists are Paul Stanley and Noel Gallagher. Feel better about your playing now? :D

I just suck...

No practice. No practice. My fingers are as stiff as boards. My brain is too slow. I do have a Crate. I have a job. I have a wife. I have kids. I spend too much time on the internet. I like to sleep. Plus I just plain suck. Did I mention not practicing enough? 2 hours a week just doesn't really cut it. It's just enough to keep my finger tips tough.

I do love to play, though.:D:rolleyes::D

Hmm, my fingers do suck, and I have a job but I somehow manage to end my nights with my guitar...probably because I don't have a girlfriend, o well! Sure I'm not averaging four or five hours a night like I used to but I give it all the time I can. And time I should be spending practicing my theory and technique I waste on being "creative". But hey, I guess I'm doin alright for only being so far along that I count months and not years (17 months).

My chops are acually pretty good right now.

OK, I had to because it's not very often I get to say something like that. :D

It's a good think I do suck at guitar because I'm such a babe magnet already I might be overwhelmed by the opposite sex.Sometimes I wish I was born talented instead iof beautiful.It could be worse,I could be Purge.:p

It's a good think I do suck at guitar because I'm such a babe magnet already I might be overwhelmed by the opposite sex.Sometimes I wish I was born talented instead iof beautiful.It could be worse,I could be Purge.:p

Goddammit, that was funny. Now stand next to the edge of that cliff...I've gotta show you something...

:D

I voted for "I don't know enough theory." Truthfully, I'm actually a decent enough player, and I have a really good singing voice (from bass to tenor), but I've yet to figure out the knack for playing AND singing at the same time. It's either playing, or singing, otherwise I'd be trying to play the vocal part, or trying to sing the guitar part(s). Some of my acquaintances and friends are impressed with my playing...not because I'm any virtuoso by any stretch of the imagination, but because I can actually make noise happen that sounds like various songs they might be familiar with. I'm also self-taught, and my "chording" style is what I describe as "a cross between Django Reinhardt and Keith Richards" (due to a permanent injury in my left hand).

Matt

Heck...how many songs out there that are only three chords in major keys anyhow...Ill bet you could do a 4 hour set and an encore just playing those...and joe punchclock will think you are great...so next time you are up there playing "Every Rose has its Thorn" while Joe has his lighter going, and his girl wants to do nasty things for you...just remember that it was a good choice you made to stop taking those lessons after 3 weeks and using your moms money for weed instead.

If you havent cruised Harmony Central and the players on youtube (You can convert it and slow it down using software)...you should be able to learn any song as easy as that...even if your name is acidrock.:cool:

I've never been any good with a pick. Can't get the accuracy going. Stuck with mid-paced blues rock.

Finger bass comes naturally to me, and so does playing 6-string with fingers instead of a pick. Only one problem - Mark Knopfler sucks. :mad:

411px-MarkKnopfler_060528_P5280036a_jm.JPG

I don't make excuses, I just apologize to those who have to hear me on a daily basis.

and my calluses are shot after only a few takes. It sucks. :/

This caught my attention, how long have you been playing? I haven't thought about guitar or the strings hurting my fingers in years. Does anyone else have issues with this?

I only know 12 chords...
I only know the notes for the 1st 8 frets...
Arthritis is bending my fingers instead of my fingers bending notes...
I have to hold myself back so I don't make everyone else look bad...
I'm a bass player!
P.S. Perfectionists don't play live it's contraintuitive.

Last edited:
Extra thumbs down post for my internet nemesis the foul wretch known as "Purge!"

Goddammit, that was funny. Now stand next to the edge of that cliff...I've gotta show you something...

:D

Even my mom thinks I suck.:(

I've never been any good with a pick. Can't get the accuracy going. Stuck with mid-paced blues rock.

Finger bass comes naturally to me, and so does playing 6-string with fingers instead of a pick. Only one problem - Mark Knopfler sucks. :mad:

411px-MarkKnopfler_060528_P5280036a_jm.JPG
Knowing theory makes me suck. Practicing makes me suck. I'm best when my beginners luck is active. I play best when I don't practice and only play songs that I don't know. This happens whenever someone else is making things up as they go or when I am making things up as I go. Or whenever I play outside my usual genre with people I just met before an unfamiliar audience.

Back