• Pacific/DW

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Gretsch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't mean for this to be strictly a poll thread...If anyone wants to post with reasons why they voted how they did, please do. Also, could whoever voted "other" please post saying which brand they would have picked? Thanks.

Sweet Rod, you play a m series too. I love my set, and it was so much cheapier than alot of them out there. I got a ProM series in deep forrest green laquer 6 piece.

Yeah, it seems Mapex is doing quite well of late. What "other" drum companies did people vote for who didn't post? I'm curious :D

Jblount,

Mine is a 7 piece in a deep wine (burgandy)....... I love not only the look - but the sound as well.

When i bought this kit (6 years back now) I was really torn between the sound of these drums and the DW's..... and these won out. I couldn't justify the extra money for the DW's when the only thing they had that the Mars didn't was the DW name.

I don't care for their hardware (I use all pearl double braced) or for the sound of the snare (Pearl once again - either a Piccolo or my 13 x 5 1/2" chrome - depending on the music I'm playing) but the Kit itself is fantastic.

Great for clubs or recording.

Rod

I do think that DW drums sound/look great -- but they're SO expensive compared to drumsets half or a third the price that sound nearly as good...

By the way Rod, does your kit have suspension mounts on the toms, or is that only on newer versions of the kit? I was wondering because I saw a picture of them online and then looked a bit flimsy compared to the Tama or Pacific style ones, and I was curious if anyone's had experience with them.

depends....

I was going to look at ordering a set of birch yamahas because dw's are indeed rather pricey.
But, I happened to walk into the local guitar center one "after thanksgiving day sale" and saw that the be-bop set I had been drooling over for almost a year was on sale. This being a 4 pc
set consisting of an 18" x 16" kick, and 3 mounted toms in 10x7, 12x9 and 14x11. For the price, I couldn't resist. Have been a happy camper ever since.

Eric

Actually, all of the manufacturers you listed above make great sets and you left out a few real important ones such as: Ludwig, Sonor, GMS, Pork Pie, Premier, and a whole group of custom drum makers.
I own a 7 piece Tama "Rockstar" set, my old Slingerland set and an old Rogers set. I own about 7 different snares that I use and switch off for different sounds. I prefer the Yamaha, Pearl and Tama hardware. I prefer the Pacific/DW hi-hat stands and I prefer the Yamaha pedals although the DW 9000, Tama "Iron Cobra" or Axis pedals are pretty incredible. There is a lot of competitition between the manufacturers in terms of quality which translates into a good thing for drummers. There's a lot of real good quality out there to select from. It never used to be this way.
For my money, I'm saving to upgrade into an entirely Yamaha Custom Birch or Maple recording set (5 piece shell set without the snare), 22" kick, 12" and 14" mounted toms, 16" and 18" floor toms. This is about what I usually play although I have a 10" mounted tom in addition to my Tama set that I sometimes include, but I'm finding that it just crowds things too much, so I've been leaving it off. DW is a really gret manufacturer but a bit overpriced. I can't justify the additional $1000-$1500 over the Yamaha set when I like the sound of the Yamaha just as well. For a total of $1500 I can get a 6 piece shell set of Tama Starclassics in Birch that will also rival the Yamaha and DW, but I really like the Yamaha set,though that "Starclassic" set is looking more attractive all the time.
When I began playing, the selection was Rogers, Slingerland, Ludwig and Gretsch and that was about it. Everything else was just junk. Sonor wasn't even available in the states. Things have certainly changed.

Echoes said:
By the way Rod, does your kit have suspension mounts on the toms, or is that only on newer versions of the kit? I was wondering because I saw a picture of them online and then looked a bit flimsy compared to the Tama or Pacific style ones, and I was curious if anyone's had experience with them.

No - the older ones didn't have suspension mounts.

I've been toying with the idea of modifying them - just haven't quite gotten there yet. :D :D

By the way - for this particular kit - (yes I did buy a floor model) - I walked in - tuned them up properly - reset them up left handed - and then tested them side by each with a DW kit in the same music center.

I really could not hear a difference in quality -

I'm not saying they're close to DW in sound - I'm saying they are every bit as good.

Rod

Cool, thanks :)

DW is kind of like Gibson (the guitar company) in that both their products emphasize many other "non-essential" features besides the actually sound such as the specific woods used -- I don't want to hear anyone tell me that they can "hear the rosewood" in a 7 ply, 6 ply maple/1 ply rosewood shell -- and the finishes, etc. In other words, you get a very high quality product, but much of what adds to the cost is not stuff you really need in the first place. I'm sure DW would make a lot of money selling a "stripped down" version of some of their kits which had the same quality construction/woods/hardware/etc. but weren't as flashy. Maybe they think that would hurt their image, though.

Heh :) Those things are LOUD. I like them, but really, I practically feel like I would need to wear hearing protection playing jazz with one of those kits.

Loud is usually an indication of how resonant, sensitive and well made an instrument is.....that's a good thing, it means you don't have to hit that hard and dig that deep to get your notes. Many of the better drums are quite loud and resonant, Sonor is famous for it, as is Yamaha with their oak(especially),maple and birch, DW, GMS and Pork Pie.
Two of my favorite jazz drummers, Jeff "Tain" Watts and Jack deJohnette use only Sonor drums although "Tain" uses his favorite Slingerland snare not a Sonor. They make a really great drum, but I've heard a rumor that they are no longer being manufactured in Germany and they've switched their manufacturing base to China. I'm not sure if this has effected their quality,because they are still one of the truly great drum manufacturers.

My pearl Prestigue session select does everything I need. Don't forget about the custom drum company like Orange County. Some big "modern" performers play them like travis barker and lotta punkish stuff if you're into that.

I go with DW and Gretsch.
I like to be that guy who shows up at a little venue with a 3 thousand dollar three piece kit - the one who has nicer drums than you. It's all about sound of course and I think no one will disagree when I say DW and Gretsch makes nice sounding drums if they are tuned well.
I dont mind paying for the name, because you know your getting a quality product...they have to keep that reputation up. It's like buying a porsche - you could get a faster, just as nice car for waaaay cheaper...but you wont be driving a porsche.
I remember when I first started I played a beat down vintage slingerland kit...its gorgeous in my eyes and has killer tone, but its nothing flashy. Anyways, I loved the feeling of going to a show and seeing some drummers nice shiny new drums and just gasing for a new kit.

I like to use cheapo Rogers kits and just play way better than the guys with the 3 thousand dollar kits. :D

Maybe someone can ressurect a 12 year old thread next time. 5 years is NOTHING!!!!

:D :D :D

Back