Sometimes, you just get humbled

Harvey Gerst

As many of you know, I run a commercial recording studio and we often get request from people looking to do studio work, or work as interns. This is an email I got last night:

Hi, my name is Zuriel Rubio. I am wondering how I can get a job recording background vocals for CDs arround. I have my home-studio and I can record High quality backgrounds, and I can also make vocal arrangements for songs.

Here I'm sending a Demo of "The Lords Prayer" that I recorded recently in my studio. Here I make all the voices. It's in Spanish, I haven't recorded things in English, however, me and my wife can speak perfectly well the language.

I am interested in doing vocal arrangements and/or recording background vocals at my house and then sending the files over to whoever is recording the CD. I would like to know if you can help me to get a job like this. Thank you so much! I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards, Zuriel Rubio

And he sends me this sample of his work:

Padre Nuestro

How the hell do I answer him after hearing this?

Wow! Can you PM me his info? I have a call for this type of thing all the time, and don't have a "go to" guy.

Zuriel said:
I am interested in doing vocal arrangements and/or recording background vocals at my house and then sending the files over to whoever is recording the CD. I would like to know if you can help me to get a job like this. Thank you so much! I hope to hear from you soon.

How the hell do I answer him after hearing this?

Hire the guy.

Autotune thing is fucking all the job

The voice of reason.:cool:

While it is a very good arrangement, it's really hard to tell if he can sing. The background stuff sounds like there are samples in there. He clearly has talent as an arranger and engineer. Its definitely cool.:cool:

The voice of reason.:cool:

While it is a very good arrangement, it's really hard to tell if he can sing. The background stuff sounds like there are samples in there. He clearly has talent as an arranger and engineer. Its definitely cool.:cool:

Good observations... I'm no pro but it did sound like he was triggering a synth vocal sample at times, due to the "cut off" sound. In any case you're right, he is a wizard with the arranging and engineering. Let's call him a craftsman... Autotune or no, I think he deserves any work you can send his way....:)

I'm no pro but it did sound like he was triggering a synth vocal sample at times, due to the "cut off" sound. In any case you're right, he is a wizard with the arranging and engineering. Let's call him a craftsman... Autotune or no, I think he deserves any work you can send his way....:)
I asked him what he used. This is his reply:
I have a simpler equipment that you may think.

I use a Rode NTK mic. (It brings its own power supply)
A presonus Inspire Firewire interfase.
And the computer!..

Cubase Sx.

The rest is personal touch as far as editing goes.

And that's it ! !

Yeah, it sounds autotuned to death. I heard that right away. But I didn't bother mentioning it--you know why? 'Cause when I use autotune on my voice is sounds like a crap vocal tuned to a slightly more consistent key of poo.

In his hands it's another tool, and he's using it to maximum effect. That's okay by me...

Back