RNP Burn In Time?

up-fiddler

Taming the World--for now
I just bought a new RNP ****adeptly dodges flames**** and was wondering thoughts on burn-in times. The manufacturer recs 5 minutes but I read somewhere that a burn in of 24 hours produced even better sound. Anybody out there with an RNP and thoughts on the matter of burn-in? Mine is plugged in now but I was going to try it out yet today.

... The manufacturer recs 5 minutes but I read somewhere that a burn in of 24 hours produced even better sound.
I read somewhere this guy 'knows'. If you know what I mean..
:cool:

Besides, by the time you get done mullin' this one over...

Not sure why you would need to "burn in" an RNP. Tubes need a bit to warm up, but there ain't none in an RNP.

Burn-in in the testing sense should already have been carried out by the manufacturer.

As for improving the sound of the thing by leaving it on for a while? Make a recording having just switched it on. Then make another having had it on for an hour or so.

Notice any difference?

Nah, didn't think so. ;) :D

I use a valve pre and the valves get hot in the time it takes me to plug a mic into it. I don't go for this "burn in" nonsense, even for valve gear.

I suggest pre-heating the oven at 375 degrees for about 10 mins... then slow cook for about an hour... use a meat thermometer for more accuracy

As for improving the sound of the thing by leaving it on for a while? Make a recording having just switched it on. Then make another having had it on for an hour or so.

Notice any difference?

Yeah, I tried yesterday and if there is a difference it is so subtle that my ears can't hear it. Some others had talked about a 'sweetening' or 'warming' of the sound after leaving the unit on for 24 hours. I didn't notice any difference today either. The unit is nice, but it didn't get nicer. :rolleyes:

Burn-in in the testing sense should already have been carried out by the manufacturer.

Notice any difference?

I use a valve pre and the valves get hot in the time it takes me to plug a mic into it. I don't go for this "burn in" nonsense, even for valve gear.

The only time I noticed this at all, even with valves, was when I swapped out the 6922 in my Rode K2 from the stock tube. When I first started using the new tube, even after having the mic on for an hour+, it sounded basically the same as the stock tube (and the new one was a NOS Telefunken, very nice, or so I thought) - but then I left the mic on for a good 24 hours, and afterward had to shut it off to move to another room. When I turned it back on hours later, the sound had noticeable changed, much "warmer" sound - that is, it didn't have the tinny highend that the stock tube had, that the 'funken also had when I first put it in.

The only time I noticed this at all, even with valves, was when I swapped out the 6922 in my Rode K2 from the stock tube. When I first started using the new tube, even after having the mic on for an hour+, it sounded basically the same as the stock tube (and the new one was a NOS Telefunken, very nice, or so I thought) - but then I left the mic on for a good 24 hours, and afterward had to shut it off to move to another room. When I turned it back on hours later, the sound had noticeable changed, much "warmer" sound - that is, it didn't have the tinny highend that the stock tube had, that the 'funken also had when I first put it in.
If we’re talking about initial burn-in of brand new components I would be a little more open minded and reserve judgement.

But it’s worth noting that you’d moved to another room. We all know how different the same mic can sound in different rooms.

it will definitely sound better after burning. joints take longer than bongs.

I think it's been covered but burn-in time is usually done to weed out the infant mortality before shipping. This is done during the post assembly/pre-packaging stage. To put burn-in on the customer's lap would simply be a bad idea.

Some components may continue to wear due to heat but that's not going to happen in a few minutes or even a few days. If the thing is made with close tolerance and high-quaility parts, I'd be you don't hear a difference for years. If there were things like crystal oscillators and tubes, then I'd buy into it just a bit.

Yeah, I tried yesterday and if there is a difference it is so subtle that my ears can't hear it. Some others had talked about a 'sweetening' or 'warming' of the sound after leaving the unit on for 24 hours. I didn't notice any difference today either. The unit is nice, but it didn't get nicer. :rolleyes:

Except for speakers, which take only a few minutes, burn-in is pretty much a myth.

There's a lot of talk about cable burn in too. There's even a company that takes your cables and plugs them into a special machine which speeds up the burning in process.

And they charge money for it.

I'm not even joking.

God I wish I was. :(

There's a lot of talk about cable burn in too. There's even a company that takes your cables and plugs them into a special machine which speeds up the burning in process.

And they charge money for it.

I'm not even joking.

God I wish I was. :(
Good work if you can get it.

Huh. Would that still be 'work'..? taking peoples money to..
:rolleyes:

other than temperature stabilization I don't get the burn in of a solid state device?

usually military grade devices can perform in a wide range of conditions, which we consider high quality generally. cheaper less "quality" maybe able to withstand 400hrs in the artic levels, or in the Sahara desert heat... but most don't need that kind of quality for something that sits in a home.

in mfg. a "burn-in" can be a wide range of tests, or stress type tests to quantify a specification or lack of....or in R&D to create a spec.

cpu's build up heat the more they are taxed with actions.....
the electrons running into each other create friction, heat....

maybe someone with component specific knowledge would explain the burn-in of the RNP?

have you tried singing really, really fast to see if the fuse blows?:p

other than temperature stabilization I don't get the burn in of a solid state device?

Burn-in time is the time manufacturers recommend you listen to your new stuff to forget what your old stuff sounds like so you can convince yourself your new more expensive stuff sounds better.

The more expensive the new gear, the longer burn-in is required. Figure about 10 hours of burn-in for every doubling of price.

So- if you replace a $10 cable with a $100 cable, that's three doublings, so you'd need 30 hours of burn-in time.

:p

Back