I'm back! Back in the New York Groove! - have a listen please

Greg. Go to my soundclick page and listen to a download of the tune I tweaked with Ozone a little. It needed more oomph on the bass drum and bass guitar for me. I tried to tweak the 6 string guitars but couldnt get it to budge. The guitar sounded to tinny to me. Hope you dont mind me messin with it. Couldnt help myself. Was bored so I tried it. Have a listen. Granted its limited to the 128bit mp3, which I lost some fidelity in the re-mix, but the drums and bass knock you down. Kill me if you want. :)

Lol. I don't mind bro, but damn I think that's a little too much oomph. The drums are supposed to be kinda flat sounding. The vocals, hats, and shaker also sound more centered and bright. You killed it! :mad::p

Just kidding bro. If you like it like that, then by all means rock out with your cock out. :D

I like to thump!!!! Sorry dude. Had some time on my hand and figured I would play with it and screw with you. I was gonna do something totaly weird, but I dont have alot of the vst's I have on my studio pc. Im on my home pc and the speakers are a little bass lacking. But it sounds good now :).

I like to thump!!!! Sorry dude. Had some time on my hand and figured I would play with it and screw with you. I was gonna do something totaly weird, but I dont have alot of the vst's I have on my studio pc. Im on my home pc and the speakers are a little bass lacking. But it sounds good now :).

Lol. It's all good. Rock on man. :p

Besides the kick needing some more oomph and the left rhythm guitar needing a pull down somewhere in the 4 to 8 kHz range, all else I can say is "GregL has done it again!" :cool:

Besides the kick needing some more oomph and the left rhythm guitar needing a pull down somewhere in the 4 to 8 kHz range, all else I can say is "GregL has done it again!" :cool:

Thanks man. So the guitars are too bright? I kinda think so too. I'm pretty happy with the drums, so I'm gonna leave em alone. The real song has a sort of flat stomping kind of sound, so I tried to record mine that way with just the overheads. but I'll mess with the guitars some more.

Thanks again. :)

Thanks man. So the guitars are too bright? I kinda think so too. I'm pretty happy with the drums, so I'm gonna leave em alone. The real song has a sort of flat stomping kind of sound, so I tried to record mine that way with just the overheads. but I'll mess with the guitars some more.

Thanks again. :)

No, not all the guitars! Don't go overboard. The only guitar that really stood out to me was the main rhythm on the left side. Just a little harsh on top, but the playing is choice. Tame that high-mid stuff, and it'll be fine. The other guitars sound great as is. Don't over-think it!!!!

No, not all the guitars! Don't go overboard. The only guitar that really stood out to me was the main rhythm on the left side. Just a little harsh on top, but the playing is choice. Tame that high-mid stuff, and it'll be fine. The other guitars sound great as is. Don't over-think it!!!!

Lol, yeah that's what I meant. Just that one. I hear ya. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Okay, I tamed the L guitar a little. Cut a little with a wide Q around 5k. Updated version in the original link in the first post.

Had this one sitting around unfinished for a while. My kids love this song, I'm obviously an Ace fan, and I've had some requests to do it from a few members in here, so here it is. :p

Ace Frehley - New York Groove
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=639137&songID=5597360

Just had some fun with it. Maybe went a little over-the-top on some things.

Any comments/critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Greg :)

(this one's for Bushmaster and my main man Gorty) :p

Hey Ace,

Nice work Greg. The playing is great, your vocals are probably the best I can remember from all your recordings you have posted up.
I think that all the guitars lack a little in the fullness that I would like to hear! That's my personal opinion. A slight cut in the highs across the board of the guitars and a boost of perhaps 1-2db's in the mid-lows I think would keep that tone and the New York Frickin Ace Frehley Groove thing happening!

This is just what I hear, but nice work once again Greg Frehley! :)

I think I may have a new nickname for ya: GRACE!

:D :D :D

Gorty $immon$ :D

Last edited:
Boy, when you do a cover, ya really nail it! Not one of my fav Kiss( or is this from the Ace solo album?) tunes, but I can really appreciate the quality of your playing /recording...real 70's vibe ....I miss those dayz!
If your taking request, I would love to hear you do "Parasite"...I always thought that tune rocked!
Thanks for sharing your tunes, always enjoy 'em!

Hey Ace,

Nice work Greg. The playing is great, your vocals are probably the best I can remember from all your recordings you have posted up.
I think that all the guitars lack a little in the fullness that I would like to hear! That's my personal opinion. A slight cut in the highs across the board of the guitars and a boost of perhaps 1-2db's in the mid-lows I think would keep that tone and the New York Frickin Ace Frehley Groove thing happening!

This is just what I hear, but nice work once again Greg Frehley! :)

I think I may have a new nickname for ya: GRACE!

:D :D :D

Gorty $immon$ :D
Lol. Please don't call me Grace. :p

Thanks for the feedback Gorty. I read that Ace did his version with a Telecaster and not his trademark LP's, so I used a strat for most of the guitar stuff. Maybe thats why it might sound a little bright. I've messed with the guitars a little, but they get kinda muddy sounding when I bring up the lows. I'll fiddle with the guitars some more and see what I can come up with. :)

Thanks again Gornie Vincent. :p

Boy, when you do a cover, ya really nail it! Not one of my fav Kiss( or is this from the Ace solo album?) tunes, but I can really appreciate the quality of your playing /recording...real 70's vibe ....I miss those dayz!
If your taking request, I would love to hear you do "Parasite"...I always thought that tune rocked!
Thanks for sharing your tunes, always enjoy 'em!

Thanks dude. This is from Ace's solo album. It's not my favorite Ace tune either, but it was just something fun to do that's out of the norm of what I normally do. I like the song though.

I've never even tried to play "Parasite". Lots of drum stuff going on in that one. I've never thought to try doing it. I'll listen to it with my do-I-wanna-cover-this-song ears and see what happens.

Thanks man. :)

Definately you got talent my friend:D:D

I really enjoyed the ride! Smooth and flowing!

Amazing vocals and Guitar tone!

Two thumbs up!

Congrats! and keep it up!

Cheers!

Lol. Please don't call me Grace. :p

Thanks for the feedback Gorty. I read that Ace did his version with a Telecaster and not his trademark LP's, so I used a strat for most of the guitar stuff. Maybe thats why it might sound a little bright. I've messed with the guitars a little, but they get kinda muddy sounding when I bring up the lows. I'll fiddle with the guitars some more and see what I can come up with. :)

Thanks again Gornie Vincent. :p

Maybe the mids might need to be cut a few db's Greric Carr! Either way, nice work, Mark St John would like it! :D

The chorus, sonically & thematically, would fit perfectly on Lou Reed's Transformer album.
Excellent production - seems a little clearer than the original - always felt that was a little muddy/buried on the radio.
How about goin' blind or mainline? Hotter than Hell is the ants pants for me when it comes to Kiss.
You do this stuff SO well.
FUNdamentally FUN & Oh so well done.

The chorus, sonically & thematically, would fit perfectly on Lou Reed's Transformer album.
Excellent production - seems a little clearer than the original - always felt that was a little muddy/buried on the radio.
How about goin' blind or mainline? Hotter than Hell is the ants pants for me when it comes to Kiss.
You do this stuff SO well.
FUNdamentally FUN & Oh so well done.

Thanks bud. "Goin Blind" is an interesting song I've never thought of doing.

"I'm 93, your 16"

Maybe. :p

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Greg L,
Forgive my newness but as a Kiss and specially Ace fan, I was wondering what other Ace/Kiss songs have you covered ?
I thought New York groove was so well done to the original, I'd love to hear more.

I do a very different and unique version of "Strutter" but have never recorded it.

P.S.-If your contemplating requests then........Shock Me !

Greg L,
Forgive my newness but as a Kiss and specially Ace fan, I was wondering what other Ace/Kiss songs have you covered ?
I thought New York groove was so well done to the original, I'd love to hear more.

I do a very different and unique version of "Strutter" but have never recorded it.

P.S.-If your contemplating requests then........Shock Me !
Thanks man.

Check the link in my sig. I've also done.....

2000 man
Rip it Out
Rocket ride
Rock Bottom

Shock Me is a great song. I need to learn the solo better, but other than that I could do it. Maybe I will! :D

I've always liked this tune. I remember the original. You did it proper justice ... perhaps better. I think your vocal performance just sounds improved over the original.

The guitars are too bright ... slightly so. You don't want to lose the edge, only the bite.

Once that's tamed, the low end will sound clearer/cleaner, as high end is distracting and commands our immediate attention -- so we can't concentrate as well on the other stuff going on ... because the high end sheen screen gets in the way.

Nice job on this, though.

Best,

Kev-

Back