Buying Guitars Mail-order or On-line, do ya?

What do you think of getting your axe shipped to you?

• I never do it, never will

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • I have done it once and will never do it again because ___________ (please explain)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • It's a great option and it worked well for me and I say, "do it."

Votes: 88 56.8%
  • I want to but I'm not sure if it's a good idea

Votes: 24 15.5%

• Total voters
MadAudio said:
Which one? Was it the Oscar Schmidt?

bongolation - you do know that GC and MF are the same company, yes?

Yea, the OS semi, it was 119 in black 129 in blue and ten higher for the next 2 colors each. Washburn doesn't have it on their site, it might be discontin, but OS has it, but still can't find the blue color.

I checked MF again, and it wasn't 60 reviews, it was 360 reviews! We have no idea what a big biz music gear is....maybe that's what I should be doing, selling instead of buying.

Also, Washburn has forums and a few people were there posting about it. The quality really varies like crazy, but from the stories I've heard, and I also returned stuff once to MF, so even if it's too messed up, I can return it or swap. So yea, it's a risk, but a minor one, so I took it.

my experiences

Kinda strange, but almost any guitar that I have bought I have had to special order, so I've played maybe maybe two guitars before I have bought them. All the other were payed for before I even touched them.

All of the experiences were good, and I found a dealer in a neighboring state that gives me GREAT deals.

My latest guitar was a Gibson J-185. They beat the local stores price buy over $250!! A little after I got it I found a small crack in it and shipped it back to Gibson. They replaced it, but the new guitar made a terrible noise!! I'm going to take it to the Gibson Service Center this weeknd to see if I can get it to sound sweet again!!

I figure that I wouldn't have noticed the crack even if I had played it at a store before I bought it, but I wanted to let ya'll know about my "worst" experience.

I bought my first guitar (Yamaha PAC112) on Ebay. And while it came in mint condition, I don't think I would ever do it again because 1) Took hella long to get to me (like 3weeks...too much anxiety) 2) Customs raped me (Paid like $50 in Customs, which made it more than what I would pay if I had just gone out and bought it) and 3) I would rather try out guitars before buying em.

I bought one online for the first time at the end of January. I was a little nervous about buying a bass I never played before, but since I buying a nice instrument (Lakland 55-02) from a well known store (Bass Central) I was willing to try it.

My experience was pretty good. I phoned and emailed the sales rep with several questions over the course of a few days and he was very responsive. He picked out a nice one for me, packed it well, and when it arrived it was set up well and was even in tune.

junplugged said:
Yea, the OS semi, it was 119 in black 129 in blue and ten higher for the next 2 colors each...The quality really varies like crazy, but from the stories I've heard, and I also returned stuff once to MF, so even if it's too messed up, I can return it or swap.
Now the blue is $149...or it was last night, anyway. :D

Like I say, it's like watching a stock market ticker.

I was looking at that silly "$499 list" Rogue Triolian when it was on sale for $179 as an expendable busking axe. Then it dropped to $129 and I ordered one and by the time it arrived they had gone back up to $299. :rolleyes:

A whole bunch of people on the FDP got these Schmidt "Delta King" things about a year ago when they came out. I somehow resisted the impulse. There were a lot of complaints about neck fit, but I don't remember any other prevailing gripe. Most people seemed gratified.

I got it - it is great!

I just got in from the early shift and the MF stuff was already here.

I also got a super cheap snare for $30....

This thing is perfect. I did have to adjust the neck, but it adjusted fine and is straight now. Action is good, finish is great, a couple of tiny spots, and one tiny chip on the bottom I could have done myself, but the finish is really, really nice I can see the wood grain under the light blue areas.

It took a while to figure out the switch and p/u combos, but I got it now.

Some reviews said that the switch was in the body for shipping, but this one was fine, it did have a block of foam over it though.

I am really impressed, it's amazing. I never had humbuckers either and these things are very cool sounding, had to adjust the height of the front one, but it adjusted easily. I'm so blown away by it, I feel guilty that it was so cheap, made in Indonesia....

I think I want a couple more.

Attachments

• oe30head.jpg
    oe30head.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 84
Cool, I'm glad it worked out for you. Now you have to record something with it and post it somewhere!

bongolation said:
Now the blue is $149...or it was last night, anyway. :D

Like I say, it's like watching a stock market ticker.

I was looking at that silly "$499 list" Rogue Triolian when it was on sale for $179 as an expendable busking axe. Then it dropped to $129 and I ordered one and by the time it arrived they had gone back up to $299. :rolleyes:

A whole bunch of people on the FDP got these Schmidt "Delta King" things about a year ago when they came out. I somehow resisted the impulse. There were a lot of complaints about neck fit, but I don't remember any other prevailing gripe. Most people seemed gratified.
I see that, that's really wierd, they changed the prices around! And wouldn't ya know, did they read this here or something? I want a red one too, and now it went from 149 to 129, yikes, another one??!! btw, just played it clean and I didn't expect it to be so good, but one thing wrong is the switch wiring - I get both pickups on the top 2 positions and only the bridge p/u on bottom, shouldn't I get only neck p/u on one position? and both only on the center? Well, if I bring the vol down I can get it....

DenverRob said:
I've bought guitars from stores, but also from Carvin. I've been happy with the Carvin guitars.

I second that - I love Carvin's stuff. I have a Carvin PA, guitar, reference monitors, power amps, mixer, headphones - the list goes on. They aren't the absolute best you can get, but they make a quality product for an almost unbeatable price.

One thing about their guitars though - if you haven't heard them before, I'd suggest tracking one down and playing it first. They play great, but I find them a little mellow usually - I want a little more color in my tone. But that's just me and my ears, and I did use my Carvin as my main guitar for years.

My first and only mail order was a Carvin cobalt acoustic. I bought it on a whim sight unseen and sound unheard, I figured Carvin had a great return policy. Any, it made it from california to michigan and the damn thing was still in tune when it finally got to me. They gave me a free case, I think that probably helped a lot. I'm totally satisfied with this guitar and wouldn't hesitate to order from Carvin again (those californian carved tops look nice).

I bought my present bass, an ESP LTD Viper 254, from AMS after playing one at a local dealer. The dealer wanted $559 but I got it from AMS for $449 with free delivery and a 30 day no questions 100% refund policy.

It's a great bass. I've owned EB-0's and EB-3's and copies by Epiphone but this Viper puts every SG style bass I've ever played to shame for sound, balance, playability, endurance, and looks. Well, just take a look.

myrig.jpg

I've done it once. MF had a deal where a MIA Strat was $100 off with a free iPod shuffle. Couldn't pass it up. The guitar came in great shape.

As far as matching I know of a few stores that around here won't do it. :eek: Some will though you have to bring the cataloge in or print off the page off the web.

I bought a Rogue VB-100 bass (the Hofner copy) from MF. While it is a good bass for the $$ and arrived in great shape, I now would only purchase an instrument online or by catalog if it was a dealer with a long track record and a strong reputation for customer service such as Elderly Instruments--and only if it was something I could not find either locally or by making a trek to the nearest large metro area about an hour away. Every other guitar I've ever purchased I've purchased locally.
Since the local dealers will try to meet or beat any of the prices offered by dealers like MF or AMS, I'll stick with them. Musicians in this community are a pretty tight fraternity and the local stores have been around for over 30 years and are like old friends.

Alright, so +1 to anybody who voted "I never have, never will"... I'm feeling rather inclined to throw my opinion out here (even though it's probably another redundant response), just in case there are any unsuspecting victims...

All I have to say about all of this is that IMO, a guitar should be purchased by the way it feels in your hand, and the way it sounds to your ears. I once almost got in a fight with a younger kid (probably about 15 at the time) because I grabbed this hideous strat off the used wall at GC and he came up and started checking it out while I was playing. I was playing it through a cheap crate practice amp and it still sounded good. How did it feel? It was magic... I bought it that night and regretted it when I couldn't hardly afford to eat for the next week. I also went with my dad a little while before that and he bought me a strat for christmas. I liked the color... A few months later I sold it, because it never felt "good" in my hands, and I couldn't stand the tones it produced.

So, if you've read through the story, I guess it's time for me to make my point... IMO (and STRICTLY opinion), I will never buy one online or through a catalog, because if I can't feel it before I buy it, I can never be assured that it will feel right and/or sound right to me. Better safe than sorry...

Old thread, but this response may help those who are considering purchasing guitars online.

As a resident of NYC, there are certainly lots of guitars stores within reach, and for the high end stuff, there is of course 48th street...however, much of what appears in those stores is the same things you can get online.

If you know what you want, which may require playing it in person, then I suggest using Eddie's Guitars in St. Louis. I've purchased a Dr. Z Maz 18 and a PRS 513 from them and been very happy with it. Granted, I'm a noob, and you have no means of verifing the authenticity or independence of what I've written, but I'd suggest you take a look at that store for the best prices I've ever found.

I've never purchased an acoustic online, though I sold an old Seagull online about 7 years ago.

I hope this was of some use to the thread starter as well as any members/lurkers purusing this thread.

I bought my Strat online from Musicians Friend, and I will buy all future guitars online. Better selection, better price, no salesmen.

well that nice OE 30 i got isn't so good, the neck is a little twisted and requires constant adjustment. the p/u switch is wired wrong.

still when i adjust the neck it is playable and i can deal with it, good strong quiet p/u's, and it's coming with me to ***** JAMFEST 6 *****

The only guitar I bought off the internet was off of eBay--an OLP MM5 baritone guitar. It needs to be set up again and restrung with strings, but once I get those going on, it will be kicking ass :)

Broken Guitar/Buying on-line, BUYER BEWARE

My brother bought me a Guild on-line for graduation. When I finally recieved
the guitar I was impressed that the guitar was packed well however there
was a large crack at the base of the stock where it meets the base of the
body. So now I'm looking for ways to repair it without paying some guy in
a music store whose going to charge me more than what the guitars worth.
If any one has any advice please let meknow.

Back