audacity

i know this is kinda off the subject but does anyone know if the effects, such as guitar distortion sound good on reaper

I don't know

pandamonk said:
Hey. I know this is off topic, but you are talking about audacity and kristal. Is there any way to use amplitube uno along with either of these?

I've only just recently heard of amplitude. or tube...whatever it is.

recombinant said:
simultaneously? i'm not sure if it can do that...

however, if you record more than once in a session it will automatically spawn a separate track.

for my needs right now, I really like audacity -- but i'm not exactly a power user yet. I downloaded the low end sound forge and honestly, I like the capabilities in audacity a lot more... ironic.

hope this helps!

:D

You need a sound card that can do mutli-channel recording (mine is a Frontier Design WaveCenter/PCI coupled to a Tango24). I can record 8 channels simultaneously.

innobidova said:
Kristal and Reaper are both for Windows only :(
awe man, no, i didnt notice that! Well if your linux theres plenty software, all free for the most part. I actually partitioned my hard drive just to use a linux program. if your really stuck remember: you can have both linux and your other operating system on your comp.

hmmm,
that atleast goes for windows users....does it go for macs too?

I know this is off the subject but i just got audacity and i was recording my band i got a drum track down good but then i went to record bass and whenever i hit recorded it recorded the drum track onto the bass track with the bass. I made sure it was that because i put the drums on mute.

i dont know how this could be happening...
When you stop a track, and record again it should start a new track...unless your pressing pause, and then recording again. Doing that will cause the track to be recorded on the same track.

Also, are you recording life, if so it may be an input problem.

I recomend using reaper, after using audacity for quite awhile, but thats just me.

-harry

Cubase Le

hrwmusic said:
i dont know how this could be happening...
When you stop a track, and record again it should start a new track...unless your pressing pause, and then recording again. Doing that will cause the track to be recorded on the same track.

Also, are you recording life, if so it may be an input problem.

I recomend using reaper, after using audacity for quite awhile, but thats just me.

-harry

c'mon over baby, whole lotta thread and forum jumpin goin on :)

just curious, is the lowend cubase as good as audacity or reeaper?

cubase le comes with a variety of usb digital inface products.....

thanks for any feedback!

I use it for sampling and chopping. Its a great program for that and its free. You can record with it but i dont like how its quality is but if u need a program to record from vinyl and then chop up u can do that and save it as a .wav/mp3 to use in software or an hardware device such as an mpc, korg, ect. that accepts .wav files.

misscc803 said:
I use it for sampling and chopping. Its a great program for that and its free. You can record with it but i dont like how its quality is but if u need a program to record from vinyl and then chop up u can do that and save it as a .wav/mp3 to use in software or an hardware device such as an mpc, korg, ect. that accepts .wav files.
i think misscc803 is taking about audacity. Reaper is really just amazing. its being updated daily, and recording is high quatlity and flexable. I use it alone. What i like is it isnt bloated with things that many of us dont know how/need to use. I am finally making use of things, learning how to use everything. Especially for beginers who get things like protools and live, know how important it is to get to know and understand things early on before things like those programs can make things cloudy. This is all true to me, and its of course not true to everyone. but it applies to plenty.

all newbies check out the free stuff and then you can see what you like and dont like. if you go into other software that is supposedly more "professional" do it with knowledge. Hey, things like pro tools sx has crazy features same with audition, so im not discounting those great audio engines/editors, but im just as professional as another guy with pro tools. My equiptment is up to par, and so is my sound quality (well its gettin there lol)....

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/ (just looked and it was updated again! Its a sweet program that id choose over pretty much anything)
basically vegas without video...(laughs). I boast about this way too much dont i...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ (nice program for converting files. and does the job right for single track recording. But it will not record more than one track at ounce.)

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php?section=details (note the spelling, "kristal." Impressive, Audio Engine, that is 16 track limited, but still cool.)

and linux gets the upperhand in free audio.

for midi i use "jazz midi sequencer" but it seemed to have dissapeared sadly.

-harry :o

fraserhutch said:
He just thinks he does.
lol, yeah. But audacity is a very nice program, and i rely on many open source programs along with it (for editing) such as gimp, gaim, open office...
hmm what else am i missing?

innobidova said:
Kristal and Reaper are both for Windows only :(
hmm....well, ive been woundering for awhile if "wine" would allow reaper/kristal to work on linux (its a windows emulator..for very much lack-of-better-word)
...ill head on over now and ask!
does anyone know of an emulator of this sort that is for macs?

what is your sound card?

hrwmusic said:
how so
you can only select one input.
unless you have a mixer, and it still will only be recorded as one track?

it has to be a pro sound card for any software to work. free or otherwise.
which card are you using?

billy3000 said:
it has to be a pro sound card for any software to work. free or otherwise.
which card are you using?
my fast track pro. its got two inputs and either will record both inputs as a stereo track, or one input as a mono track. Im useing another program that allows two different tracks to be recorded at the same time (its unlimited really...), and with that it works fine. But go to edit-> prefrences-> and select your input and it only allows one.

hrwmusic said:
hmm....well, ive been woundering for awhile if "wine" would allow reaper/kristal to work on linux

according to the reaper site: "experimentally supported using WINE"

So it has some kind of support for Linux users using WINE emulation...

...and of course, Audacity is cross-platform and works on Win32/Linux/Mac. But you knew that already. :D

recombinant said:
according to the reaper site: "experimentally supported using WINE"

So it has some kind of support for Linux users using WINE emulation...

...and of course, Audacity is cross-platform and works on Win32/Linux/Mac. But you knew that already. :D
hmm, well i brought that up alittle while ago. Justin (the main guy working on it) must have taken my advice on posting it.

Back