Writing Rock Guitar Songs

I-AM

Hello All,

Over my limited time of recording and making music, I have mostly created R&B/ Hip Hop/ Trip Hop/ Jazz type of music.
With my latest endeavor with the guitar, I must admit it is definately different trying to create a rock song.
I was wondering how some of you all out there create rock/alternative/heavy rock songs. For instance, playing three note or more chords on keyboard for backing, sometimes drowns out the guitar. What instruments do u find that seems to mix well when doing rock music and so on. I don't want to know the tricks-but just some basic ideas to work with.
Thanks for any and all replies.

Usually it start with a powerchord-riff.
(smells like teen spirit :D)
then the bass hits in (smoke on the water)
drumfill; there you go.
oh and some singer with a range of 1 octave.

well, you get a couple cool riffs using heavily distorted powerchords, set aside each for your chorus, verse, prechorus, etc (creativity rules) put a bass guitar to it (usually the bass goes similar to the guitar to add to the "heaviness), get a drummer who plays a steady rock beat for 3 measures and adds a fill to the 4th, come up with some words and a vocal line for it, and sing it in a harmonic or octive of the riff thats behind it. As far as vocals go, the louder and more basic your vocal effects the better. Generally Nu-rock/metal likes to be tuned down a step or more... just incase you wanted to fit in better. Have fun :)

Rock Guitar? Let's see, take any old blues riff, crank up the volume, add a bit of distortion, maybe a little delay or de-tune, boost your midrange and play for all you're worth. If that dosen't work add in a too loud drummer, drunk bass player, and a vocalist who can scream better than sing and you will probably get the sound you are looking for. Seriously though, crank it up, play it hard ( you'll break a few strings getting the hang af that part) and feel free to experiment. I don't offer a moneyback guarante on any of these ideas but they work for me, most of the time. Good luck and have fun.

Aside from those mentioned, lately this is how I write for guitar (or basically the whole song)

-Start with a time signature (these days Im shying away from the 4/4)

-Assuming you already have a melody in your head figure out the key signature. if I dont have a melody in my head, I go to sleep because I cant write songs from thin air.

-Fit all the melodies together and sequence the chords into chunks that are easily recognizable. Lately I've been putting more slow harmonizing lead lines as opposed to fast licks (I really suck at that anyway).

-I bring it to the drummer and we find where to put what.

Finito!

I-AM said:
Hello All,

What instruments do u find that seems to mix well when doing rock music and so on. I don't want to know the tricks-but just some basic ideas to work with.
Thanks for any and all replies.

Depends... if you're going for straight forward Rock & Roll

2 Guitars / Bass / Drums (or 1 of each - Triumph style)

Some late 70's early 80's style, add a Sax &/or horns

Rock-Blues - add a harp (Harmonica)

If you want to use keyboard, then write your guitar parts to be the ambiant sound in the background... It's not uncommon for A rock & Roll song with keyboard to fade the guitars into the back noise... then have em come out for either a scremin solo or a tasteful solo with a sweet melodic tone.

Anyhow... that seems to be the basic formulas.

- Tanlith -
(New WebSite - Check it out if you have a chance)

Back