Writer's block

Ricklh

Here's what happens with me when I try to write something new: I'm a guitar player and I'll sometimes come up with a pretty decent sounding chord progression and I'll write the chords down with the intention of coming back to it and developing it more later. Problem is, I never seem to come back to it when it's just on paper. I think maybe I need to just record the progression so when I go back to the tape, I can hear it and it will inspire me to build on it.

Another mental block I run into: I find it a challenge with coming up with something original that sounds good enough to spend time with and doesn't sound similar to songs already written by others before. Anyone else have this problem?

yes rick, i certainly do! :) all the goddamn time

have you tried your idea of recording the progression yet? sounds like it could help to me. actually, that's something i've been thinking of doing as well. just looking for a 4-track machine, rather than recording onto PC... on PC I'll just end up fiddling with the recording all the time...

I have also had this problem. As far as loosing the inspiration recording has helped me. I use a Digitech GNX 3 for effects and it has a built in 8 track that I use to "jot" down ideas for use later. Its got room for lots of little riffs and it helps me come back and remember what I was doing.

As far as getting new sounds that are original, thats a tougher solution. My only advice is to practice more and more and more and delve into techniques youve never tried before. I dont know your experience, what you like listening to, etc etc etc and it depends a lot on that I think. For me listening to other genres of music and expanding my musical horizons has helped me see what other people are doing which gives me a new idea or dirrection. I hope any of this helps. Good luck!

Ricklh said:
Another mental block I run into: I find it a challenge with coming up with something original that sounds good enough to spend time with and doesn't sound similar to songs already written by others before. Anyone else have this problem?

All the freaking time. One day I was just randomly playing a piano up in the music room at school when I stumbled across this really catchy chord progression. I started playing around with it and throwing a little melody line in, and I was really pumped because it was sounding cool. Then it hit me. DAMNIT! It was "Kiss From a Rose" by Seal.

tell you what, something i do alot now.....

when im at home, ill just get a dictophone or tape player or a mic and get the idea down immediately. but....

all my best ideas come when im walking around to and from work, or round the city etc. and when i got home, i forgot them!!!

until....

i used my moby phone. before i had a decent one, i phoned myself, and hummed a tune onto my voicemail, hummed a bit of a riff and some words too.
now, alot of mobile (cell) phones have a voice recorder. leaves you with no excuse to remember things when inspiration hits you.

sounds obvious, but wish id have thought of that before i let several nice ideas slip from my memory into no-where.....

writers block for me happens when im trying to write. it never happens much when im out and about on my own.
am i missing your point or does that help?

in terms of sounding like others, there is so much diversity out there now that its almost impossible not to sound a little like someone else. but i find that as i keep plugging away, the more ideas you get down and out of the way, the more you start sounding like yourself. seems that its all down to practice practice pracice, along with some good old fashioned time.

it'll come. dont worry about sounding like others for now, otherwise youll possibly stop a good idea in its tracks cos you think it sounds too similar. simple rule is, get everything down on tape (or phone) or at least on a notepad, and worry about who it sounds like later. if only certain bits of your tune sound like someone else (which is normally the problem) then you only have to change a few bits, not write off an entire song cos you gave up because it sounded like some one else.

brummygit said:
in terms of sounding like others, there is so much diversity out there now that its almost impossible not to sound a little like someone else. but i find that as i keep plugging away, the more ideas you get down and out of the way, the more you start sounding like yourself. seems that its all down to practice practice pracice, along with some good old fashioned time.

it'll come. dont worry about sounding like others for now, otherwise youll possibly stop a good idea in its tracks cos you think it sounds too similar. simple rule is, get everything down on tape (or phone) or at least on a notepad, and worry about who it sounds like later. if only certain bits of your tune sound like someone else (which is normally the problem) then you only have to change a few bits, not write off an entire song cos you gave up because it sounded like some one else.
I had to stop listening to the radio for awhile, too! I would sit down with my guitar and almost every time I came up with a catchy tune, I realized I was copying someone. It worked out for me, and when the original ideas started pouring in, I'd occasionally go through my cd's and make sure I didn't copy someone else's ideas. The problem is, I got so used to not listening to the radio that 10 years later, I still don't. From what I do occasionally hear on someone else's radio or boom box, apparently, I'm not missing much!

in other cases, try this (i have, just to get out of rut not to get new tunes):

1) get a song you really like
2) play around on an acoustic guitar or something basic til its in a key you like (and can almost sing comfortably in)
3) record a 'cover' of it with all the original instruments or similar
4) change the chords to something else that you like
5) restructure/rearrange the song
6) change the lyrics
7) voila! a brand new cover that never was ....

gives you some really good ideas tho for your own tunes

Back