Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sudden increase in "can I sing?" posts.

Thanks

Sudden increase in "can I sing?" posts.

Sign in to disable this ad
    We're getting loots of people posting topics that ignore the sticky at the top of the section. We've already got in trouble when instead of 'what a great voice' we said sort of OK or maybe a bit of work needed, then on pressing we become honest and say well, actually it's not so hot - then it explodes.

It's even stranger when people submit quite lo-fi recordings - as if the recording quality is immaterial. It's getting awkward to be honest. Should we be honest, or because it's singing and not guitar playing (where we are usually quite blunt) be less honest?

Thanks
    Coddling doesn't do them any good.

Thanks
    The reason I posted my thread here is because it seemed like the other sub forum was inactive compared to this one - last post being 2 weeks ago. Maybe other people feel the same

Thanks
    ....but - the section is about quality, processing NOT singing.

I'm not comfortable giving my opinion directly to people. I have a history of doing this in my work, and I hate that aspect of it. It is horrible looking at a list of names and putting line through those that are pretty good, because I want the exceptional one. I've even been known to scrub an entire project when I cannot find the person I want.

I've not looked yet - have you found the missing tracks for the comparison you asked for?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    ....but - the section is about quality, processing NOT singing.
    It is also about vocal technique, though.

So, it would appear to me that technical threads about vocal methodology can go here.

For that, you don't need a quality or finished product, at all. I guess it is the same for any instrument. You can hear and advise on technique from pretty average recordings.

Thanks
    If all 'Can I sing?' threads were sincere and from receptive OPs there probably wouldn't be a problem,
    but the majority are either from people who know they can sing well and want a back-pat, or people who just don't have it and are likely to implode when they get an accurate critique.

Allowing that to be integrated into a parent forum just means it's much harder to see the stuff that you actually want to see; Discussions on vocal technique.

The same is true for the Marketing Forum.
    Clearly a place to discuss techniques and approaches but riddled with advertisements.
    The Show-Off subforum was created to maintain the original intention of the parent forum.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Very frustrating. There is already a cultural barrier between singer and producer.

There is so much really interesting stuff to discuss about vocal technique. I can't figure out why the topic never seems to take off. I see the sense in hiving off the "can I sing threads", but why is there such a lack of interest in vocal technique, itself?

Why don't more people post about their journey, how they overcame hurdles in singing -- with specific before and after clips, and an explanation of what made the difference? Proof of the pudding, take it or leave it stuff, that needn't incur argument?

You never know who may learn from you, and what you may learn from others, whatever your level of singing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    If all 'Can I sing?' threads were sincere and from receptive OPs there probably wouldn't be a problem,
    but the majority are either from people who know they can sing well and want a back-pat, or people who just don't have it and are likely to implode when they get an accurate critique.
    I usually just adopt a just say no policy to those threads. Actually more just an ignore them policy

Thanks
    Well, this is it. Like it or not a lot of people simply don't want to read, or participate in, 'Can I Sing?' threads.
    If the vocal technique forum is littered with them, that would probably be enough to stop a lot of people even looking in there.

Maybe posting in the sub-forum should have a mandatory pitch-perception test! :P
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Well, this is it. Like it or not a lot of people simply don't want to read, or participate in, 'Can I Sing?' threads.
    Well, yeah! Of course! Most are a boobytrap!

Thread Information