Michael McDonald

hixmix

Halibut, North Dakota
Does anyone understand the songs of Michael McDonald? He's like all over the place with his contrived melodies, lyrics, chord progessions and arrangements. I just don't get it. Am I missing something?

Aint no moutain high enuf.

Man i want a sprint phone.

Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, PreChorus/BridgeOutro,Double Chorus out.

Seems pretty standard to me, If you mean his Vocals and the way he attacks the song.

Sounds to me like either he or someone else wrote the song in a plenty simple format, and tons was added in pre productions / recording.

Hes pretty much on the ball with vocal melodies, he is following the music...
But thats just one song. Dont be confused by the " and the colored girls say "

I dont like it, so I am bias.
But thanks for the listen.

d(-_-)b-Phones said:
Sounds to me like either he or someone else wrote the song in a plenty simple format, and tons was added in pre productions / recording.

Yeah. Way overproduced, too.

I agree. its like 5 bands are playing at an outdoor festivall and your in the middle.

someone needs to take tthe cocain away from his producer.

In the mid-80's I somehow came into possession of a cassette tape of Michael McDonalds. It had the hit "I Keep Forgetting" on it, which I liked pretty well. I was a kid with limited funds to buy music and I would listen to what I had over and over. Most times I would grow to like something after listening to it a few times but I finally gave up on this Michael McDonald cassette (at least besides that one hit on it). It was a type of music that was very impressive to listen to at the moment but which never "stayed" with me...the tunes never stuck in my mind and drew me back to listen to them again...That was my only experience listening to a Michael McDonald album...he did (I think) sing (and possibly write) "What a Fool Believes" as a member of the Doobie Brothers.. I like that song.

I'm not dissing Michael McDonald here. He's a good musician/songwriter, been around for a long time, done very well for himself.

I'm just expressing my reaction to his music.

hixmix said:
I'm not dissing Michael McDonald here. He's a good musician, been around for a long time, done very well for himself.

I'm just expressing my reaction to his music.
I liked his work with the Doobie Bros, but I am not a fan of his solo work. I don't really like his voice, but then again, at least he can sing. I can't sing to save my ass... :eek: (And his singing voice is so far removed from his speaking voice it's almost scary)

I have to go with the overproduction. It kills a lot of good work. But he's the calibre of musician who can get the best to play with him, not a bunch of teenage hacks who know 3 chords and can play two of them right...

I always liked McDonald's voice (very "white soul") and I thought the music of the Doobies (always one of my favorite bands) became a little more "intelligent" after he joined the group.

However, I am not much of a fan of his solo recordings. The music seems rather bland (although very well produced). While the chord progressions and arrangements are "intellegent") there is no passion or edge to the material.

I also must admit that as much as I like his voice, it does get a little old when it's the only voice on an entire CD (vs. on say 30% of the songs on a Doobies recording).

Maybe he's like McCartney - he needs other people to give his material an edge. McCartney with the Beatles was great, but McCartney's solo material is rather boring (with a few exceptions).

Back