Does anyone here set songwriting goals. My report card for 2004 & goals for 2005

Jagular

I think goals are important for anyone who is serious about anything so I figured I'd start this thread. Goals. Got 'em? Wanna share them? Here's my goals from last year and how I did and goals for 2005...

My posted goals for 2004 (in quotes with comments following)

1. I will write at least 12 good songs in 2004. I am a slow writer. To do this I will need to partition off more time for myself to write. It won't be easy, but I need to work on my output.

I have written 9 or 10 this year so far (I’ll have to recount). It will be hard to make 12 with my schedule but you never know, I still might pull it off. Not all of these are actually “finished” as there is some rewriting to be done. But they are complete drafts and decently written songs IMO. My grade to myself so far is a B-. If I get to 12 I’ll give myself a B . Not an A because I hold that out for exceeding expectations.

2. I will start playing out at songwriter's nights here in Nashville in 2004. I want to get comfortable enough playing my own songs out. As part of this, I wand to do the the Bluebird quarterly audition (I think in October) for a first quarter of 2005 showcase. I will consider this goal met if I do the audition. I will consider it exceeded if I actually pass the audition.

I have been playing out fairly regularly. I shoot for once every two weeks, but sometimes I can’t keep that up. I have graduated from open mic nights to getting scheduled rounds with a few different hosts (hoping to pick up one more next Tuesday). I did, indeed audition for the Bluebird. I didn’t pass. Over all grade for the year A- as I was able to get those scheduled rounds.

3. I will network with other writers and music industry folks in Nashville in 2004. I will obtain at least 5 names of possible contacts here in town. As part of this I have a goal of co-writing with at least 3 other writers this year (not necessarily all in Nashville). I will consider this goal exceeded by writing with more than 3 co-writers or adding more than 5 contacts to my address book (real one's I have actually met or talked to).

I have obtained many cards & contacts over the course of the year. I have co-written with or am in the process of co-writing with 7 people. Some here in Nashville and some over the internet. I also have opened the doors for many, many other quality co-writing partners. I give myself and A+ in this category. I feel that I have far exceeded my expectations.

4. I will meet with at least two publishers in 2004. More than just at conferences and such. I'm talking about real meetings. I will consider this goal exceeded if I meet with more than 2.

I have had the opportunity to meet or correspond with at least 6 publishers over the course of the year either formally or informally. I was able to sign my first single song contract this year with a Nashville publisher, was offered a single song contract on another song by a non-Nashville publisher (which seems to have stalled), had one song held for further consideration by a well connected Nashville publisher/plugger (nothing came of it and I couldn’t pin him down for follow-up). I also was just able to submit a couple of songs for a “new” (he’s not really – he is the son of a legend in Country Music) artist that has major label interest. He’s cutting in January. I think I have earned an A+ in this category this year as well as I exceeded my goals by a large share.

5. I will continue to improve my guitar chops. During the year. The only way to do that is to continue to practice. I may take lessons if I can swing the $ this year. This goal is somewhat immeasurable, but I will know if I have improved or not.

I have improved noticeably on the guitar over the past year. My playing in public has become proficient and confident. My recordings are showing more skill in this category. I’m still not a great guitarist, but I can strum and sometimes pick along with what I need to present a song well. In fact it was one of my guitar/vocal demos that got the publishers attention who I signed a contract with. I was not able to swing lessons this year. I still want to take them, but I have to weigh the time & dollar constraints I have. I give myself a B+ on this one.

Overall grade for the year I’d say is an A-.

Goals for 2005 in order of importance (many are similar to last year)

1. I will write at least 12 good songs in 2005. I am a slow writer. To do this I will need to partition off more time for myself to write. It won't be easy, but I need to work on my output. This is the same as last year and I have to make this a HUGE priority this year. If I am going to get anywhere close to where I would like to be I need to up my output. I hope this is a breakthrough year for this.

2. I will do a lot more co-writing this year. I intend to set up one 3 hour co-writing session each week on top of my 3 hour solo writing session I schedule each week. Being realistic, there will be weeks that I can’t do both sessions, but I want to make sure I do this the majority of weeks. This also gets me another step up the pyramid in the “Your First Cut” book which I highly recommend if anyone wants to pursue writing commercially. I will write with at least 8 other writers in 2005.

3. I will meet with and pitch songs to at least 5 publishers in 2005. I am looking to take some of the more “informal” relationships I have started and turn them into more “formal” meetings. I know at least 3 I could probably call right now to get a sit down meeting. Getting a pitch meeting with two others will probably mean contacting a LOT of them. I will probably start this more toward the second half of the year because I want to get some more quality songs in my pocket first.

4. I would like to play a writers’ round every other week. Realistically know I will have to miss some, but I would like that to be the target. I would like to play at least 20 writers’ rounds in 2005 (that’s every other week minus a few).

5. I would like to sign at least one single song contract in 2005. I am not going to sign anything shuffled in front of me by any old publisher. It has to be a “quality” publisher as determined by my research of them. That doesn’t mean it has to be EMI, but it does mean they are not a fly by night operation with no contacts in the business. I am willing to sign with young, hard working, small publishers as long as I get a reasonable reversion.

6. I will audition for the Bluebird again this year. I may wait until October again and really work on getting my act together. I will seek out the expertise of some folks I know here in town that are help folks with this sort of thing and work on crafting “the” song that knocks the judges out. I will consider this goal met, again by doing the audition and exceeded if I pass.

That’s it for 2005. Sounds like a lot of work, but it’s a labor of love. I think it is going to be challenging to meet all of these goals. At this point in my life I only have a few hours a week that I can devote. But it's amazing what you can accomplish in a few hours a week if you put your mind to it.

I would love to be able to set goals like that. But I wouldn't be able to accomplish much of it, and would probably have a D average. Too much going on in my life right now: kid, family, job, pending retirement, home buying, home selling, new career to plan for. I barely have enough time to breath. Of course I spend too much time here, but it's part of the benefits of my current job. No customers means internet time for me.
It's good to see that someone can prioritize their life around their music.

I wish I could.

Rather than 2005 these are goals for from now untill summer. I also have to find income, and that will be a big project. Finally, I haven't listed any "write X number of songs" type goals because I want to focus for the time being on basics and not put the cart before the horse.

** Repertoire:
Open Mic - April - have 3 songs from my repertoire performance ready.
Subway play - may or june - have 6 - 8 songs performance level
summer - re-assess

** Playing well with others
February: Jam with Yaz. try to get one session, every two weeks at least;
discuss goals and timeline with yas
May: be competent enuf to jam with other people and start trying to do pick up jams etc.
late summer start trying to get into a power chord band

** Ears - Interval recognition, chord recognition -
jan/feb, work on sharp pitch in singing
feb/mar do at least one on-line ear training session a week
Assess and make clearer goals in April

** Covers in Reason
try to start and finish a new song once a month -
focus on transcription and arranging,

** My own stuff -
april or may -- re visit 'Turnikette'; work in what I've learned from the arranging stuff

Hope you dont find my goal too dull. I don't want to overtax myself, which I have a tendency to do. Perhaps I can make an additioal goal "start out small, get good at simple things"

Last edited:
I hear ya Rocket. I have much of the same going on as you do (except retirement :D). I typically have only a few hours a week that I can dedicate to songwriting. However, I do one thing EVERY day to push in the right direction. It can be a simple thing like stopping at Office Depot to pick up blank CD's. A steady drip of water will eventually make a hole in a rock ;).

So I guess the question is, how much time do you have? Or I guess a better question is how much time do you CHOOSE to spend on writing?

I have a family, job, house, bills, dance class for daughter, this, that & the other going on all the time. I CHOOSE to do these things rather than spend time writing or networking or pitching to publishers. I could choose to ignore my families needs and pursue my own dream. I have known people that do. That would make me a schmuck in my opinion ;) :D.

I also choose to spend 3 hours a week semi-religiously in a solo writing session. Starting this year I will choose to spend 3 hours a week in a co-writing session as well as do other various and sundry things to move myself ever so slowly closer to my long term goal of writing for a living. My wife has been very supportive of this, yet I need to make sure that she and my daughter are not ignored or that support will go right out the window (and besides that I love them too much to do that).

So I guess what it comes down to is you can set a goals. They just have to reflect the amount of time you choose to put into it. Maybe you shoot for just doing one thing, however small, for your writing every day this year. Maybe you shoot for finishing two songs (my goal two years ago was to finish 5 songs, I have upped the ante since).

I'm tired, so if this is coming across preachy please forgive me. It is meant to be encouraging. A journey cannot start without that first step.

BTW...I'm burning the candle at both ends working on this stuff and loving every minute of it. Although...I need to get to bed.

Good luck everyone!!!

I have maybe an hour that I can devote to my songwriting, but as of late I have been using that time to improve my recording skills (they are WEAK). I care for my daughter in the evenings while the wife is working. She's 3 and a handful and a half. I usually get about an hour after she goes to bed. Sometimes I don't get it if she feels that she don't want to sleep. I then have to wear her out so she will, and that usually does the same to me. I can't set aside specific time, which is a big downer. I have to steal it when I can get it. I am retiring from the Navy in about 5 months, so I have to square all that business away too. My days are spent between this new job of Family Member Assistance and getting the mountain of paperwork I need to retire done. Weekends are spent between real estate brokers, escrow offices and other minor (maybe not minor) tasks. And the family needs.
I see what you are saying, and it's not preachy to me. I can find the time if I want to is your bottom line. Tis up to me.

Oooohh...good topic. Goals...

I really wanted to finish my CD in 2004. It'll be 2 years here in a couple months since I started, never thinking it would take this long to write 10 songs I am happy with. What started as a simple learning project has evolved into something with expectations.

I can look back and say the progress has been great and I cant believe the things I have learned to do...

Guitar
Im 35 and Ive been playing guitar since I was 13 or so and learning the recording process was like learning to play again all over. I realised what a slouch player I was [and still am! :rolleyes: ] and Ive done alot to clean up my tone and my playing in the last year.

Ive always considered myself a rhythm guitarist [mainly so I didnt have to learn scales and theory...again, the slouch] but since starting this, Ive done a buttload of study and practice. Now I hear my recorded solos and still cant believe its me playing [not that they're great solos but....well you know hehe]

I taught myself to sing and play guitar! [no small task after 20 years] I've also been working on just singing and, after quitting smoking, Im finally at least listenable hehe

I use to play bass years ago and its been fun getting back into it while laying bass tracks down. Learning how to aproach it as a bass player and not a guitarist has been intersting

Writing
I learned that there is a whole lot more to songwriting then just a cool riff on a guitar...

I learned how to sequence drums. It is an artform all its own. I really love the freedom of not having to deal with a drummer. I think my learning process would have been alot longer with a live drummer [local anyway lol]

I love my lyrics! I write so many great songs that I love to play when Im alone because they will never see the light of day hehehehe. Seriously, I write alot of stuff that people just kinna turn thier head away from and Ive learned to pick em out and hide em hehe. Every once in a while something with some mainstream appeal bleeds thru...

I have many areas that I need to work at smoothing out lyrically...

Production. I think I would like being a producer. To me its the real creative position. Its where the song really comes to life and shows itself. Another artform all its own. I feel like Ive just touched the surface of this area.

Recording
I wont pretend to know much of anything about recording...less than 2 yrs experience tinkering with some gear I bought. Ive learned enough to outgrow that gear and am just waiting for taxtime for some timely upgrades [also got moved to a larger more dedicated space then my office]

Its alot of fun tracking...frustrating sometimes, solos are cool :) still so much to learn.

Overall
I like to keep the goals simple. I think that has been the hardest, keeping that focus and still letting the music flow.

That and being honest...I may yet drive myself insane trying to get to the truth of it all.

CD mastered, 500ct run. I have no idea what to do with it after that.

Band. I have a longing to play live again. Whether it is to support this CD or something else [just not covers...homey dont play that] I dunno. I just know writing in this vacuum has serious drawbacks.

Pretty simple?

Keep on keepin on man. Life's a garden, dig it?

Official Pirates of Badass Bay To-Do List:
- Write songs
- Record songs
- Release Rockin' CD

So, I pretty much only have to create an entire album of songs that I like.
Then hopefully find some fellow bandmates to join The Pirates of Badass Bay and gig and stuff like that.

I love writing, but I always feel that my lyrics are cheesy and I hate that. Accepting the way I write and who I really am is perhaps the hardeset part about it all.

I only have one major goal for 2005, to finaly get my CD album 'out', mastered, professionaly replicated, and distributed to friends and for review.

Of course within that are a number of 'sub-goals', finish the last couple of songs for possible inclusion; decide the inclusion list and the order; get my friend to master it; get the cover work done;

I have set a date for the end of March to achieve this.

Another allied goal is to get my web site up and running to coincide with the album 'release'. So a lot of activity in the next three months!

In April, the work really begins when I start to mail it out to everyone!

It would be nice to start to do some live shows of my original material instead of playing only with my covers band, but I've no firm plan to make that come about so I can't really say its a 'goal' as such for this year.

Rokket said:
I have maybe an hour that I can devote to my songwriting, but as of late I have been using that time to improve my recording skills (they are WEAK). I care for my daughter in the evenings while the wife is working. She's 3 and a handful and a half. I usually get about an hour after she goes to bed. Sometimes I don't get it if she feels that she don't want to sleep. I then have to wear her out so she will, and that usually does the same to me. I can't set aside specific time, which is a big downer. I have to steal it when I can get it. I am retiring from the Navy in about 5 months, so I have to square all that business away too. My days are spent between this new job of Family Member Assistance and getting the mountain of paperwork I need to retire done. Weekends are spent between real estate brokers, escrow offices and other minor (maybe not minor) tasks. And the family needs.
I see what you are saying, and it's not preachy to me. I can find the time if I want to is your bottom line. It's up to me.

:cool:

I fully understand. There are seasons in life. You are in a busy one right now. Before my daughter turned 4, I had much less time to spend at this. It is getting easier as she gets older. In fact, she likes to write her own songs now and thinks it's pretty cool :D. I have primary responsibilty for my daughter from when I get home to when she goes to bed. I give her her bath. I usually make dinner (unless we go out or take out :D). I comb her hair, brush her teeth and put her to bed. Lucky for me she goes to bed easily ;). Her bed time is 8:30. I then make her lunch for school the next day. By the time I'm done it's usually 9 PM. That leaves me approximately two hours to get "stuff" done. One night a week is bills (usually Thursday). I try to spend 2 or 3 evenings with my wife (although sometimes she's shot and goes to bed early). So I usually have 3 nights that I can devote to other projects. Friday night is my solo writing night. Saturday night is usually when I do vocal demo work (or my own guitar/vocal demos) if I have any. Plus I try to get out one evening every other week to play a writers' round & network.

Unfortunately, sometimes sleep and morning excercise is sacrificed a little. I have to get better about that. That's one of my personal goals (becoming more efficient in my time usage & keeping in shape).

Hey...If it weren't a challenge it wouldn't be any fun!!! :D

Good luck my friend. I really do understand where you are coming from. I feel ever more fortunate for the little time that I do have to carve out for this.

:)

Just a follow up - what do you guys think of keeping one another updated, for example, posting at the end of the month how close we've gotten to our goals, or perhaps at the end of the quarter. For me it would be encourageing to see if others had made progress, and I know that if I fell short of my goals I could probably use advice on time management, etc.

(ps: I know that time management and concentration are the big problems for me)

I think that is a great idea Layla!!!

I may be one step closer to one of my goals already. Someone who is in the biz heard my song "The One" and given me a contact (SR. VP A&R) at a MAJOR publisher/label that handles that kind of music. I will be following up on that one!!! If I get a meeting, that is one of my 5 publisher meetings for the year and a biggie!! Plus I have already reached out to another publisher whom I have known for a little while and not pitched to. I ought to get that meeting (I actually intended to pitch "The One" to her as she handles CCM as well an actually had one song nominated for a Dove award this year). Heck, I'll pitch it to both and cause a bidding war!!! LOL (in my wildest dreams).

I will commit to posting interim updates. Not sure how often, but perhaps at least quarterly. I guess this is my first update LOL :p

Those are laudable goals Jag. I mean it. Sounds like you are being really effective. I'm afraid my goals are a little less organized; they include:

--get Bonnie Raitt to record "Allergic to My Love", one of the songs I sent her. I love Bonnie. I hear she actually drives around in her car sometimes listening to stuff that people send her. So I would appreciate it if you would all drop Bonnie a note (her PO Box address is on her website) suggesting that she listen carefully to my demo. Thanks.

--making at least three people cry when they hear the sad song I just wrote the first time I play it in public. (Eyes welled with tears counts. Sniffling counts too as long as it's not just allergies.)

--successfully resist the temptation to fling my guitar across the room when I feel blocked, again.

--put a lot of different stuff on my Creative Labs Zen Jukebox Extra (they've really gotta get a shorter name) and actually listen to it, hoping that by osmosis my songs will have more variety and interest.

Coincidentally, a few years ago I wrote a song entitled "Goals". So I might have to sue you. It goes something like this:

I was reading a self-help book and I was wasting my time,
Full of shame at not using my brain
On a literary giant or philosopher king,
But my self-help book caught me with its hook it said that I was fine,
And all that I need is to learn how to breathe
And make a list of the important things

You gotta have goals, you gotta have goals...

So I sat down with pen in hand priorities to seek,
Be happy, well-read and make a mint
And those the goals for my first week,
So I toned it down a bit, humility my creed
Just write a verse of this old song and think of what I really need

You gotta have goals, you gotta have goals....

The image somewhat faded now the feeling clear as day,
The girl in jeans she gently leans
My tortured heart is all but saved,
My list is all completed now, the entries they are few,
In fact there's just a single line
'Cause all I really want is you

You gotta have goals, you gotta have goals, you gotta have goals, you gotta have goals...

I'd like to join in, but....

A school report said: "Sharp sets himself extremely modest objectives which he then consistently fails to achieve." Well, she'd gone to all the trouble of writing such an elegant sentence, it would have been very churlish of me to prove her wrong :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I am very impressed with some of these achievements. My personal approach is to have a plan, not goals, the difference being that there is no timetable attached, it will take as long as it takes (but then I have no commercial ambitions so I'm not in the league of a Jagular). But the "it will take as long..." attitude comes from a sort of craft thing, I suppose, so instead of saying "this afternoon I will make 4 chair legs", it's "This afternoon I am going to carve chair legs and we'll see how many we get done" if that makes any sense.

So we are recruiting a drummer for our new band, and then a keyboard player, but one at a time and the objective is not to meet a timetable but to get it right no matter how long it takes. Having said that time is blocked out for playing, songwriting etc., but only because I'd rather be doing those than most other things anyway.

There you are - I set myself the extremely modest goal of explaining my approach and failed to achieve, cluttering up the bbs with another meandering ramble :)

Garry Sharp said:
A school report said: "Sharp sets himself extremely modest objectives which he then consistently fails to achieve." Well, she'd gone to all the trouble of writing such an elegant sentence, it would have been very churlish of me to prove her wrong :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I am very impressed with some of these achievements. My personal approach is to have a plan, not goals, the difference being that there is no timetable attached, it will take as long as it takes (but then I have no commercial ambitions so I'm not in the league of a Jagular). But the "it will take as long..." attitude comes from a sort of craft thing, I suppose, so instead of saying "this afternoon I will make 4 chair legs", it's "This afternoon I am going to carve chair legs and we'll see how many we get done" if that makes any sense.

So we are recruiting a drummer for our new band, and then a keyboard player, but one at a time and the objective is not to meet a timetable but to get it right no matter how long it takes. Having said that time is blocked out for playing, songwriting etc., but only because I'd rather be doing those than most other things anyway.

There you are - I set myself the extremely modest goal of explaining my approach and failed to achieve, cluttering up the bbs with another meandering ramble :)
But the penguin is still funny! :D

OK, short term goals are easier to accomplish, and can add to the big picture of the long term goal. I don't have many long term goals that I haven't already set up for success (the career after retirement, the home, family security), so I guess my short term goal is going to be finishing the CD I promised my mother last year. I only have 5 songs on it. At one time there were 12, then I got critical of my playing.... So I want at least 4 more songs on it. It should be done soon, but if I put a time lock on it, I may end up paying in lesser quality productions. I think I will follow Garry's "plan instead of goal" idea, and see where that leads me.

Jagular said:
I think that is a great idea Layla!!!

I may be one step closer to one of my goals already... I guess this is my first update LOL :p
That's cool. I'm glad to hear it! Good luck. Keep plugging. I am going to commit my plans? goals? whatever, to paper and post them on the fridge. The "experts" tell me that's one way to make sure you stick to them. They are in your face everytime you go grab a beer or whatever....

I listened to The One by Jagular.
So how big is the Christian Rock scene over there in the US? I mean is it possible to have a pro' career just writing for the Christian Rock scene or what? It's not something we have to any great extent over here in Europe, at least not in terms of doing it professionaly, mostly amateurs in churches and so on.

Quite a good commercial song, but i guess you'd have to change the lyrics for it to have broader mainstream appeal? For example making 'The One' the love of your life, rather than Jesus.

Anyway, good luck with your goals.

glynb said:
I listened to The One by Jagular.
So how big is the Christian Rock scene over there in the US? I mean is it possible to have a pro' career just writing for the Christian Rock scene or what? It's not something we have to any great extent over here in Europe, at least not in terms of doing it professionaly, mostly amateurs in churches and so on.

Quite a good commercial song, but i guess you'd have to change the lyrics for it to have broader mainstream appeal? For example making 'The One' the love of your life, rather than Jesus.

Anyway, good luck with your goals.
The Christian Rock scene is fairly large, but still somewhat exclusive. Radio stations that play it aren't as big time as secular music, but it still has a pretty good following, and guys like Michael W. Smith are crossing borders and becoming quite well known in secular circles. You can make a decent career out of it if you have the talent and the connections.
Just my opinion....

Back