Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, another how can I improve thread.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll definately take it on board. I know that I'm never going to make a singer or anything, but I'm doing it for fun, but that's never an excuse not to improve or at least try and be better.

However, moving onto:

[QUOTE=Mickster;4314337........you seem to have the same problem many people have who first try to record and mix their voice have. They make the vocal too low. Bring it up a bit.[/QUOTE]

That sentence scares the life out of me. Increase my vocals, what, so that people can actually hear them. Oh my lord, whatever next! I think that I like hiding me vocals at the back I guess, however, always one to move forward, that's exactly what I did, no additional EQ as I'm only on an iPad so nothing fancy.

hey ho, nothing to loose, have a listen:

https://soundcloud.com/tim-summers

Thanks
    Nothing to be ashamed of ... but unless that's your actual "in the room" sound, FFS take some reverb off it. If that's your actual "in the room" sound, find another room...

Pitch needs some work, in places, but tone's very pleasant. Practice, practice, practice...

And, in general, you have a shitload to learn about recording and mixing, but that's OK, we all start somewhere.

I wouldn't be auditioning for England's Got Talent just yet, but plenty there to work on.

Thanks
    Not posted on this forum for a while - doesn't mean that I've not been reading, or have put down my guitar.

What I have found positive for me is setting myself exactly 1 hour to learn, record, and do everything on a song to completion. This may seem a strange strategy for some, but personally speaking - I'm a nightmare for constantly messing around with a semi-finished version and usually making it sound so much worse by the constant tinkering.

Also, I don't usually get any more than 1 hour to myself anyway.

So, I've decided that's what I'll do for a while. I find a song that I like - listen to it a few times then start the watch. Learn the chords, practice them a few times and try and record them first time. Next vocals - just bang them out 1st 'take' unless things go disastrously wrong. Layer them together - this usually takes up the first 30~45 mins (don't really know where the time goes), then listen to the proper song again and pick up maybe another layer somewhere - bang that down. If there's time left - maybe pop in a harmony somewhere.

This is one that I did last weekend, 1hr and 5 mins actually:

I know it's not great, but I honestly couldn't care less, it was such fun to do and for me personally that's what it's all about. The strings on my guitar are too ‘heavy’ as there is some buzz on the occasional bass note where it’s hitting the frets. I’ve got some lights on my ‘pick-up-and-play’ guitar so I’ll whack a set on my ‘nice’ guitar soon.

Thanks
    I think you've come a long way since my last listen to your other work. And you've already identified some of the issues on this track. The last time I commented on your work I advised you to raise the volume on your vocal. You've got that done right. So.......just staying with the vocal.......you could think about reducing the reverb and taking a bit of mid out in EQ. You have a bit too much of both and it's giving your vocal a muddy sound to some extent. As well........play around with the reverb settings so that you get more of a "feel" of reverb than actual long lasting trails. The resonant tone of the reverb itself is too "present". Sometimes to get the effect you want..........less is more and "illusion" is even better. Well done and keep it going.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Quick update: We're moving house

The Mrs says that if I make the double garage into a gym for her, then I can have the 'study' as my music room.

No more waiting for the ultra rare moment that the house is quiet, spending 1/2 hour getting everything ready in order to record something, I'll have my own room.

Happy about that ! - Right I'm off to the studio building area of this forum to start spending money!

All-the-gear with-no-idea .... that's how I roll

Hopefully I'll get something better than what I recorded last night whilst the Mrs was working late:

Thanks
    Well, I did another song yesterday. I really wanted to try and take on-board the comments that people have given me, so I worked my way through this thread and eventually landed with this:

It's a very simple song, in quite a low key, which initially made it easier for my vocal range.

I tripple tracked the guitar - Neck (then panned left), 12th Fret (kept it central), sound hole (panned right)
    Messed around with the levels so that the left and right were only in the background, and the central was more dominant.
    Single tracked the vocals - but copied the track and panned left/right to give it more depth.
    Didn't add reverb afterwards - I did use AD480 and set it on 'Small Recording Studio' as completely 'dry' sounded poor
    Tried breathing properly whilst singing.
    I acutally learned the lyrics, rather than reading off a bit of paper - This made a massive difference as I could try and put some 'feeing' in there
    I dropped the volume of the guitar track, and made the vocals more dominant - I used to hide the vocals behind the guitar to start with.

With regard to 'mixing' at the moment I physically don't have the capability of doing much more than this, as the only equipment that I'm using is my iPad with Garageband, a USB Apogee Mic (cardioid condenser) I'm using for recording guitar and a Shure SM58 (dynamic) for the vocals.

Any feedback that I can work with would be greatly apprichiated.

Thanks
    Quick update: It's been a few months since I posted here last. Since then, I've moved house, and changed the downstairs office into a ........ music room. I wouldn't push it as far as to call it a 'studio' - but it has my 5 guitars (my Gibson J45 and Gibson Les Paul Traditional being my absolute favorites), my new VOX AC15 valve amp, my acoustic amp, a couple of microphones, and a drum kit. I've been having my mates around once a week for beers and a jam. It's been absolutely awsome.

Don't worry, I'm not expecting to now be churning out song after song, but this has definately re-lit the fire in my belly for it. Absolutely love plugging the Les Paul into my VOX, cranking the volume up, adding some gain and smashing out some tunes.

Thanks

Was happily messing around with my guitar last night - and something weird happened.

A 'song' started to unfold right in front of me. First came a little 'hook', then the chords, then a baseline quickly followed.

I started to panic like a 16 year old lad who was imminently going to lose his virginity - I'd heard about it, I knew all about it, I'd read the articles - but when it came down to the business end of the deal, I wasn't entirely sure what I was supposed to.

Ahhhhhh, the good old days So I did what I did all those years ago ......... I winged it.

By that I mean, plugged everything in and pressed record. Recorded each track individually - popped them together - and hey-presto - out came something resembling a song.

I was on a roll !!

I grabbed a pad and a pen - and the lyrics just fell out onto the page, and vaguely made sense - to me anyways.

I’d been listening to a lot of old indie music from the 90’s (my prime) – so that’s why there’s a definitely a distinct Madchester vibe – intentionally may I add.

Here it is:

I may leave it like this – or I may re-do some of the individual tracks, as some of the guitar playing is a little dodgy to say the least.

Thanks
    Well, I've finally got around to completing a couple more songs.

I've recently found myself with quite a number of new songs, so I start on them, but I soon get bored and move onto another. I'm not sure if that's just my personality, or (which I suspect is the case) the songs are shyte and don't keep my attention.

Anyway - since the last time I posted, I've upgraded my iPad to an iMac, and also GarageBand has been upgraded to Logic Pro X.

It's been a monstrous learning curve consisting of forums, and endless contradictory YouTube videos, but last night (before I started getting bored) I committed myself to completing a song and publishing it:

Apologies if the levels are a bit all over the place, but this is what you call learning from scratch - I've tried my best what with being an absolute beginner in 'music production'

T'ra

Thanks

Thumbs up Back again ....

So recently I've picked up my guitar again - for some reason my playing/interest seems to come in waves, it's either all or nothing with me. I've had other things going on which have taken up a lot of time, but I'm back.

I've done a couple of new tunes recently, both pretty different from each other:

(acoustic, folk style - purposely mixed like I was outside)

(kinda late 90's, early 2000's indie style)

I'm planning on trying to find a style and make an EP of some description - not for making money, or anything like that, just to add more focus to what I'm doing.

I started another one last night - it's only in the idea stage at the moment - but this again, is different to either of the two above. This is what I mean about needing to focus.

Anyway, that's all. Have a listen and if you have any comments then I'm all ears.

Thread Information