Sound Treatment

timt

I am about to finish construction on my studio. It is 10' x 28' with 8' ceilings. I have researched and read and think I have a handle on initial sound treatment, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. It will be a combination room for both tracking and mixing.

My plan is to have 4" thick floor to ceiling OC 703 2' wide bass traps in the 4 vertical corners, 2" thick 4' x 4' OC 703 at the ceiling and both wall first reflection points, and a cloud of 2" OC 703 above the drums. The floor will be painted concrete with rugs over approximately 60% of it. The ceiling is plywood.

My questions are 1) should the drum cloud cover the entire area of the drums?, and 2) does the corner trap need to be straddling the corner?. This question comes because the entrance door is exactly in the corner, and to have it in the corner means that one trap will have to be mobile, and my preference is to mount it flush with the back wall a couple of feet in from the corner.

I hope all this makes sense. If there are other areas that need to be addressed, please don't hesitate. I'd rather hear it now than after completion.

Thanks.

1) Yes, that would be best with a low ceiling.
2) Yes, straddling is better than flat on the surface.

--Ethan

Back