Seeking advice on a setup

Drumz519

So, while I'm home from college for the summers, I pretty much have the basement to myself for recording. I have my drum set and all of my other instruments and recording gear down there. I have a setup right now that works but apparently is quite prone to frequency nodes. I was informed by another forum member that it seems as if I am in a null spot. Keep in mind, I'm completely new to this concept.

I can't really do anything as far as permanent sound treatment goes but I'm hoping to get some advice on the best way to setup my mixing setup as well as do a bit of sound treatment to at least diminish the effect of these frequency nodes.

I've attached several pictures of my basment space.

Any suggestions that will help me improve things are appreciated. I'm willing to do research, take steps, test things. As most people, I don't have much of a budget, so any improvised methods are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attachments

• n46603692_30533160_113.jpg
    n46603692_30533160_113.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 114
  • n46603692_30559087_3104.jpg
    n46603692_30559087_3104.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I'd like to assist or even just look at your snaps but there's a log in requirement to do so. You won't get many responses other than from facebook subscribers.

That's a nice space. I would probably take the drums from inside that area with the pillars and put them more central facing down the length of the room, and make a 'control area' at the other end. Though those pillars may be handy for sectioning off areas and creating makeshift booth that can be taken down relatively quickly. You should make yourself some bass traps and gobo's they are fairly easy to make and pretty cheap. They will definitely help you control the reflections of the room.

Can you make a floor diagram?

Also how high are the ceilings?

Measure from the floor to the center of the woofer on your monitors as well.

Here's a diagram I'm put together quickly in sketchup. Let me know what else you need to know. There is furniture through the space too and I know that will make a difference as far as diffusing things a bit. Ceilings are about 7'6".

n46603692_30560151_3473.jpg

Sorry about the low res but it won't work otherwise.

Off-topic..

Can any speaker be reversed to be used as a kick drum mic like that? I have a load of old 12 inch loudspeakers that im about to throw away!

Only 2'4" from floor to woofer center right now. I'm looking to put them on stands soon though.

That s a big part of your problem right there.

If I remember correctly they center should be 42-46% of the height from either the ceiling or the floor.....Otherwise, you'll get a pretty bad room node.

I'd strongly suggest going over to John Sayers site, as well as Ethan Winer's site.

That s a big part of your problem right there.

If I remember correctly they center should be 42-46% of the height from either the ceiling or the floor.....Otherwise, you'll get a pretty bad room node.

I'd strongly suggest going over to John Sayers site, as well as Ethan Winer's site.
Okay, cool. I'm looking at some stands right now and will probably be investing. I was considering putting a bass trap in the far left corner (to the left of the drums) and moving my monitors and whatnot over there. Would mixing in the corner (stil a couple of feet from either wall) be a big "no no?"

NL5, thanks for all the help you've provided so far! I really appreciate it.

Off-topic..

Can any speaker be reversed to be used as a kick drum mic like that? I have a load of old 12 inch loudspeakers that im about to throw away!
Hey Technominds,
Yes, any speaker can be wired in reverse and used as a mic. My setup is based off of the Yamaha Subkick. Though I have yet to find a asthetically pleasing speaker housing and mount, my "Homekick" works quite well in conjunction with the AKG D112 I'm using. I'll want to run it through a DI with a pad on it but other than this, it's quick wiring. I would recommend using speakers 10" or less in diameter but you can experiment with anything. They really pick up a solid "ummmfff" from the kick and you are free to use another mic to pick up more of the mids and attack of the kick.

Your tweeters should be at ear level so unless you really slouch raise them! and moving them apart should help too.

Thanks for putting the snaps up. Nice set up. All the suugestions thus far are on the money so I won't add anything. I like the bass drumm mic set up - I've read a lot about it &, thanks to you, have now seen it. Creativity & tangental thinking is important.

Back