Really need help

onewayrecording

So i didnt know where to post this, figuired this was my best bet...

So i have a power amp and the only output are these PHONO.jpg but my speakers only have xlr, how can i get these speakers connected to my power amp??

Any help much appreciated

Your post does not make it particularly clear exactly what equip is to be connected so I'll make a broad reply. If you have active monitors with XLR inputs and you want to connect a power amp, taking an output from the amplified speaker outputs on the amp will have a detrimental effect on the speaker circuitry. You must only connect low level line outputs from an amp to active speakers which don't usually have the facility of being adjusted volume wise by using the controls on the front of the amp. Looking at your picture, you would need to get RCA to XLR cables to connect your speakers. A single RCA to XLR, one for each of the left and right speakers.

Tim

If your speakers are active (i.e. have a built in amplifier) then sell your power amp and buy extra beer to aid your next session!

Putting an already amplified signal into another amplifier is a great way to release smoke rather than sound.

However, just to cover all bases, a very few passive speakers (i.e. no internal amp) very stupidly use an XLR connector for the feed from an external amp. If you happen to have one of these (but they're rare) you'll need to check your speaker manual for the pin outs since there's no standard. The way to tell is to check whether your speakers have a mains input.

My speakers are passive, they have both male an female xlr jacks on the back but the only output on the back of this power amp has those twist up and down speaker wire clamps, could i cut off the end of an xlr i dont need then wire it in that way??

Post the model of your speakers. And a pic of the back side. The speaker, not yours. lol. Those jacks on your speakers sound quite strange.

And that pic you posted is a subwoofer. It does not power passive speakers. It only takes a signal from a power amp, and reduces that to line level, so that it's internal power amp can run the subwoofer contained. Or use RCA cables to run, then pass along the line level output to active speakers, or a power amp for passive speakers.

Sounds like an experiment in trying to put the smoke back in the wires. I've never seen banana clip to XLR cables. But are you sure they are not Speakon connectors on your speakers. Most XLR connections are for active speakers. Speakon cables look similar.

ok CIMG0188.jpgCIMG0189.jpgCIMG0190.jpgCIMG0191.jpg

the first pic is of the outputs on the power amp, second is the power amp, third is my speaker(no model name present anywhere but my guess is yamaha or peavy) and the fourth picture is of the speakes ins and outs.

I'm going to make a small side wager here. That cabinet has no brand plate, front or back. Obviously, from the size of the cabinet, it is unpowered. Therefore my money is on the cabinet being a well made home build. Pull the back off and find out how the speakers are wired (red and black connections on the speakers will tell you what is hot and ground). Then you can make your own cable from an xlr cable by cutting the end off and attaching banana plugs to attach to the amp or just strip and slip the wires into the connectors.
If you're not comfortable with that level of electronics, I'm sure you can find someone in your circle who is. But at a minimum, taking off the back will ensure that there is NOT an amplifier in the box.

Back