Questions about computer monitor and positioning relating to studio monitors

stayouttamalibu

so i just recently got my new pair of genelec 1030As, and ive just finished setting them up (for the most part) in my very small bedroom. the walls are 9'9 by 10'2. i set them up on the 9'9 wall because that is pretty much my only option given how the closet and window is set up. i have a very standard, flat desk. i set up the desk so it is exactly in the middle of the wall, and set up the monitors on the desk so they are both exactly the same distance from their respective side walls, and so they are both exactly the same distance from the wall behind them (as close as i could get them, 4 and 1/4 inches) i have them mounted on auralex MoPads, angled up and in towards the listening position so the tweeters are pointed exactly at my ears.

so now my question is, i have a very large computer monitor, its a 21 inch CRT, and it is gigantic on my desk. it is exactly in the center of the desk, between the two monitors. the problem is, because of how large the computer monitor is, it sticks out from the wall much farther than the genelecs do even though the computer monitor and the genelecs are both up against the wall as far as they can go. the computer monitor is roughly 9 inches closer to me than the genelecs. so because the genelecs are in the same plane as the monitor (both sitting on the desk) but angled in, would the computer monitor sticking out that far affect the sound coming from the genelecs? it isnt exactly in front, but it is definitely out far enough so that i would think it would affect it, reflections off of the side of the monitor or something. the solution would be for me to get a flat panel lcd monitor that i could put completely up against the wall and that would totally out of the way of the genelecs. below are three pictures of the setup, one from the front and one from each side, so it can be seen how it sticks out. sorry for how big they are.

DSC08776.JPG

DSC08773.JPG

DSC08774.JPG

Maybe, maybe not, depends on a lot of things and the amount of space. You gave dimensions and pictures, but my coffee hasn't kicked in yet so my brain is still in neutral.

Play a particular song that has a decent frequency spectrum, bass, mids and highs with the speakers where they are now, sit in your listening position, and close your eyes and aim your nose straight forward and listen careful.

Then move the genelics (and the pads) forward, to clear the edge of the video monitor, then play the same song, sitting in the same position, with your eyes closed, and see if you can hear a difference.

Make sure both times the levels are the same, and a level that you would normally mix at.

If you here a difference, position them monitors in the position that sounds better. You might have to take them off the desk and put them on stands next to the desk. Another option is to purchase two wall-mount TV stands, if you don't rent the place, and place your pads and genelics on the TV shelf. Most stores like K-mart and Lowes have inexpensive TV stands for smaller, 13" TV's that would be perfect.

You can also make floor stands easily enough... plywood top and bottom, and a section of white PVC sewer tube in between. Paint to your liking.

alright...i do rent the place so i cant do anything wall mount, and space limitations would keep me from doing stands on the sides of the desk. i suppose ill try moving the genelecs forward, but i was told to put them as far up against the wall as possible so as to minimize cancellation from rear wall reflections.

stayouttamalibu said:
alright...i do rent the place so i cant do anything wall mount, and space limitations would keep me from doing stands on the sides of the desk. i suppose ill try moving the genelecs forward, but i was told to put them as far up against the wall as possible so as to minimize cancellation from rear wall reflections.

Sure you can.

Locate the studs, and mount the wall mounts to the studs through the sheet rock. When its time to move, you simply remove them, fill in the holes with toothpaste, and let dry. Then scrape off a little paint near the floor where it's not so obvious, and have your local paint store copy it and sell you a quart for about $10, and paint the entire wall once.

You're landlord will never know. I've been a tenant, and a landlord. People do much worse, trust me. In one small house I rented out for years before I sold it, a couple decided the wall between the dining room and kitchen was inconvienent for them to watch TV while in the kitchen, so they made a 2'x2' hole in the wall with a sawzall.

A little toothpaste with some paint slathered over it is appreciated, trust me.

hahahaha jesus...that is certainly something for good tenants to do! well my question is, what if the studs arent located somewhere that would still make it possible for me to symmetrically position the monitors on the wall relating to the side walls?

First off, find the studs, then see how they sit for symmetry. A lot of those TV stands have rotatable arms so you should be able to find a way to get close enough to get your symmetry.

Darryl.....

what do you mean by stay?

regarding the big knob, just got it last week, but i love it so far! works great, very easy to use, does exactly what i want it to.

STAY(outtamalibu) - (good thing you don't like shitake mushrooms :=) (No ball bustin' here, just funnin' - just realized you don't know my wierd sense of humor yet... Steve

Back