Offset studs?

pearldrum944

So a friend and I are building a studio in his garage. There is a double wall between the control room and the tracking rooms. Should the studs on the two walls line up or should they be offset? Some sources I have seen say one is better, while some say the opposite is in fact, better.

If you're talking about a "staggered stud" wall then the studs are staggered between each wall surface. The top and and bottom plates would be 2"x6" and the studs 2"X4". The studs on the control room side would all be flush with one side of the 2"x6" plates while the studs on the tracking room side would be flush with the other side of the 2"x6" plates.

Sorry I didn't have a good picture of when I built mine but attached is one I found on the web. I would highly advise you to use resilient channel to mount the sheetrock to studs.

DD

Attachments

• stagstud.jpg
    stagstud.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 105
Cool picture, I understand staggered studs now. But we are doing two walls with an air gap between them. Sorry for not being more clear.

Although less of a requirement when doing two separate walls with an air gap the studs are not lined up. The reason is that sound travels through the studs too and by having the studs lined up the net air gap between the end face of one stud and the opposing stud is smaller.

I admit, i thought stagged studs were something else too. :o
I also admit (Unwillingly) that i have to take down a whole wall, window and all today just to get the damn door to hang right. :mad:

Is there crying in drum booths?

There's no crying in studio construction!! And get used to having to redo things. :) I've redone so many things, it's a miracle I've gotten this far. The first time we redid something was just a few months into the build, and I've been redoing stuff ever since.

Did you buy pre-hung doors? I just made all my door frames and cut solid core doors to fit th openings. Of course making all openings to code... :)

Usually I'll redo things until I get it as right as possible (Within my ability), but I'm dreading this one because working on it alone will be a good old fashion dose of holding 3 things at once while pressing my luck with the God's of intact glass. I'm hoping for a work around solution, but who knows?

Some of the projects i see like yours (Keep in mind I'm just doing rinky dink ass home "studio" non-sense) look rather daunting (not to mention expensive). I forget which thread it is (I think one about cables runs), but there's a link to I believe John Sayers site with pics of a flooring job that is so beyond what i could ever even dream of doing. Then there's the pics with the forklift IN the studio... man that one just makes me tired looking at it. :p

:)

Back