My new mix room...treatment options?

Myriad_Rocker

Well, I think I've finally come to a point where I can begin to treat and prepare my new room. I don't have a desk yet. I plan on building one. I also don't have a recording computer or interface anymore. I sold my old ones with intentions to upgrade and that's next after I set a good plan for the treatment. My hope is to get my main areas of concern and then fine tune treatment when I can test it properly.

Attached is a Google SketchUp of my mix room. A couple of things of note...

- The small thing on the wall is the thermostat. That can't be moved or covered so I'll have to build any treatment around it.
- The door closest to the thermostat is a closet
- The second door is the door to the bathroom. I was thinking of building around it and making my treatment (wood slats if needed) on hinges to be able to get through it.
- I put a single simple light in the center of the room with the intent to build a cloud and put recessed lighting in the cloud

I welcome treatment suggestions or plans. I'm hoping to buy all my wood (for slats, treatment framing, etc) and OC703 soon. One particular point I'm wondering is if I should go with hanging bass traps in the corners or super chunks.

EDIT...well, I tried to upload my SketchUp file. Apparently that file type is not allowed. So I put it here, on MediaFire.

I think somethings screwy with your link. I tried a couple of times to download your goodz and each time it sent me someplace different...some real estate site, a youtube vid about lingerie football :drunk: (that was pretty cool :)) but nothin to do with your room.
:confused:

Got another site you can load it?

I think somethings screwy with your link. I tried a couple of times to download your goodz and each time it sent me someplace different...some real estate site, a youtube vid about lingerie football :drunk: (that was pretty cool :)) but nothin to do with your room.
:confused:

Got another site you can load it?
You're kidding, right? The link works for me. You might want to scan your computer for malware/spyware.

You'll also want to create a JPG of it...don't provide it as an SKP file. Not everyone has Sketchup.
Sketchup is free...if I upload a JPG at John Sayers, they bitch about not having a Sketchup file...I can't win!!!! :spank:

You're kidding, right? The link works for me. You might want to scan your computer for malware/spyware.

Kidding? Me?
No...I'm a very serious minded guy. :cool:

:laughings:

nah, I just tried it again and I got it...:confused: not sure wtf I did last time... but I'm at a work compooter and can't open it. I'll check it out later.

Oh...and Drew....the lingerie football was all guys in lingerie. I'll send ya the link.
:D
:laughings:

Sketchup is free...if I upload a JPG at John Sayers, they bitch about not having a Sketchup file...I can't win!!!! :spank:

I know it is, and I have it...just an older edition, and I don't feel like updating it. I mean, it's fine if you don't want to upload a JPG...no offense intended.

I know it is, and I have it...just an older edition, and I don't feel like updating it. I mean, it's fine if you don't want to upload a JPG...no offense intended.
It's not that I don't want to. I just had to get around to doing it.

Attachments

• Mix Room.jpg
    Mix Room.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 80
Cool...thanks for re-posting it.

There's a couple of issues at work in that room. If you face the 12'5" wall then you'll be firing down the longest dimension, but you'll have no symmetry. If you face the window so that you have symmetry you'll lose 3' of length, which will result in more disturbing low frequency issues and require more trapping.

If I were you I'd face the 12'5" wall so that you're firing down the 15' length. That will put you in a better low frequency position so you'll have fewer of those kinds of problems to solve. True, you'll have symmetry issues, but they are fairly easily dealt with using 2" panels (though I'd stick with 4" at the reflection points, on the front wall and on the ceiling). You won't be able to trap all four corners, but you wouldn't be able to no matter what direction you were facing.

Cool...thanks for re-posting it.

There's a couple of issues at work in that room. If you face the 12'5" wall then you'll be firing down the longest dimension, but you'll have no symmetry. If you face the window so that you have symmetry you'll lose 3' of length, which will result in more disturbing low frequency issues and require more trapping.

If I were you I'd face the 12'5" wall so that you're firing down the 15' length. That will put you in a better low frequency position so you'll have fewer of those kinds of problems to solve. True, you'll have symmetry issues, but they are fairly easily dealt with using 2" panels (though I'd stick with 4" at the reflection points, on the front wall and on the ceiling). You won't be able to trap all four corners, but you wouldn't be able to no matter what direction you were facing.
The symmetry problem...are you just referring to that small "hallway" that is the exit for the room? I assume so. I was thinking of putting some sort of hinged bass trap there that I could move in and out. Out when I am working on a mix and in toward the wall when I am not. I figured that was a pretty decent compromise there.

Looking at doing this... http://www.johnlsayers.com/HR/index1.htm

Back