Markertek.com blankets

frick584

Hello all. I'm a newb here so forgive me if this happens to be in the wrong forum for this question.

I'm looking into building my own collapsible/portable isolation/vocal booth similar to this "Simple Soundbooth". Now this guy's booth used simple moving blankets but I'm considering using these blankets from Markertek.com.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any sort of experience with these particular blankets or could offer up their opinion on this setup I'm considering. Also, I'll be using this setup in a room with hardwood floors. Should I use one on the floor as well?....

Thanks and Cheers!

Hello all. I'm a newb here so forgive me if this happens to be in the wrong forum for this question.

I'm looking into building my own collapsible/portable isolation/vocal booth similar to this "Simple Soundbooth". Now this guy's booth used simple moving blankets but I'm considering using these blankets from Markertek.com.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has had any sort of experience with these particular blankets or could offer up their opinion on this setup I'm considering. Also, I'll be using this setup in a room with hardwood floors. Should I use one on the floor as well?....

Thanks and Cheers!

Those are actually moving blankets from markertek. I would use one on the floor unless you are doing drums, then test with an without and see which sound you like. It wont be amazing sounding but it will be workable when you record. Good luck!

theres a similar product by a company called audimute and they have some video reviews on youtube. Ive never used them but I heard theyre pretty good.

They aren't thick enough to be at all usable. The "simple soundbooth" claim is bogus. It will absorb, but only high frequencies. You are far better off with rigid fiberglass panels, at least 2" thick.

Thanks and Cheers!

I built and used one of those PVC frame V-shaped thingies - it is really a reflection filter, not a soundbooth. They do a good job of minimizing early reflections of high frequencies that plague small rooms. However, they do nothing for the low frequencies. I used mine for a year, but now I have a dozen bass traps in the room and have less need for the reflection filter.

Just as some addition point of ref, I have a set of those that I use at times. For example I'll sometimes hang two of them –doubled over, each hanging on either side of a door way (so we're at two double thickness with a 4 or 5" space) to get some isolation between the rooms.
This gets some useful attenuation down to around three or four hundred (I'm guessing, and from the sound of it).
The stuff is rather 'glossy. I would expect it might actually be reflective way up top. (in close proximity in a booth' might be an issue?, never used it like that.

I built and used one of those PVC frame V-shaped thingies - it is really a reflection filter, not a soundbooth. They do a good job of minimizing early reflections of high frequencies that plague small rooms. However, they do nothing for the low frequencies. I used mine for a year, but now I have a dozen bass traps in the room and have less need for the reflection filter.

I agree, a few slabs' of fiberglass, to the sides, and above etc, is not a 'booth but knocks down the room leakage level so in particular short reflections within the Haas range are below the '3:1' range.
:D;):drunk::)

Just as some addition point of ref, I have a set of those that I use at times. For example I'll sometimes hang two of them –doubled over, each hanging on either side of a door way (so we're at two double thickness with a 4 or 5" space) to get some isolation between the rooms.
This gets some useful attenuation down to around three or four hundred (I'm guessing, and from the sound of it).
The stuff is rather 'glossy. I would expect it might actually be reflective way up top. (in close proximity in a booth' might be an issue?, never used it like that.
Absorptive material generally doesn't isolate per se. It's only effective use for isolation is BETWEEN mass.

so what aboot these? i was mainly concerned about low cost DIY but these seem to fit the bill of what some of you are describing and they're not horribly expensive...
Look good to me. Can probably make your own cheaper, but these save the hassle and seem reasonably priced.

"Also check out the open-back option on our 4" panels if you're interested in low-frequency corner traps." That's a good point. If you plan to use these as corner bass traps, make sure you get the open-back option.

so what aboot these? i was mainly concerned about low cost DIY but these seem to fit the bill of what some of you are describing and they're not horribly expensive...

Looks like you're getting a solid (ply) back side (maybe they have others too..?) made for wall mount. So that might be somewhat less total absorption (not 100% sure on that..), reflective on the back, but maybe stiffer, and easier to deal with in some ways than just fiber and cloth.
I tried a few of these just to compare the convenience vs time factor of finding decent looking cloth -in a size that wraps a 2x4', and they're getting $30 for just the bag..
http://www.readyacoustics.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26_11_2

Once again, thanks for all the input. I believe I'm going to go ahead and DIY myself some 24x48 gobos. Here's my next question. While 4ft high gobos are more than likely fine for recording acoustic guitar, when I want to do vocals they'll need to be significantly highter. I'm 6-2 therefore I was thinking about maybe juryrigging them to some PA speaker stands, like these for example. If that's not gonna work I can always stand of few of them up on a dresser in the room and that should probably be fine. Whadaya think?

I have three large ones I built all based on 4X8 ply trimmed to 4' x just a bit over 6'. One pair are framed and stuffed about 3 1/2" deep with 1/4 ply back, one quite a bit heaver at 6" deep with ½ ply down the center. (Actually off-center) That one pretty much stays horizontal and does partial sectioning of the recording room from the listening/alt recording room, soft isolation of the bass rig and one side of my drum and general recording area.
The lighter ones stand (or lean) up or on their sides to do what ever –generally, along with some variable height 2x4 clouds, one does the 'other side of this semi-sectioned off recording area. Add a hodge-podge of DIY 2x4' and some RealTraps.. makes for some versatile rig. :D
Initially I went this way for the very reasons you mentioned- need line of sight (often) and full height in other ways.
What's fairly cool and still surprises the hell out of me is the amount of isolation between the kit and the 2nd room. As long as we keep the drummer reasonably strong, I can have line-of-sight for a (cautious) ref vocal and a second guitar in the 2nd room, with what is in fact a fairly 'open arrangement.
:confused::rolleyes:;):)

Back